Changing Sexual Politics of 16th Century Europe

Started by Queequeg, August 16, 2012, 01:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Reading Wolf Hall. Thomas makes a mental note of the differences in healthy-practical sexual practices between his generation and that of his father's, before the spread of syphilis across the continent.

Never thought of how much this could have changed Europe, particularly with the hyper-lethal variety of the disease common during this period. Quick trip to the town brothel, and in a few moths your brain is gone and your flesh practically rots.

Anyone know any good papers or books on the subject?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

I just read something in the last couple of days about the explosion in illegitimate children between 1650-1800 Britain.

IIRC, the stat quoted was in 1650 1% of children were born to unwed mothers, but by the 1790s it was 24%, and 40% of brides were pregnant when married.

For the life of me I can't remember where I found this though. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

My source is Sharpe's Early Modern England :

"These (illegitimate) births reached their peak around 1600, when they constituted about 4.5% of all births, and then fell to their apparent nadir  (almost certainly the result of under-recording) in the 1650s, when they constituted 0.5%. Illegitimate births formed between 1.5 and 2% of all births until about 1720, when they started to rise, regaining their 1600 level by 1760."

He then points out that the figures need to be treated with caution and also that they followed the same pattern as general fertility which in turn was a reflection of the economy.

The 40% of brides being pregnant is a reflection of different attitudes towards marriage; which was regarded as a process rather than an event. Many couples would start having sex on their engagement, you should recall that breach of promise was a serious offence.

Phillip V

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on August 16, 2012, 01:22:37 AM

Check out the Republican Party platform;  they're trying to get back to the sexual politics of the 16th century.  NYUK NYUK NYUK

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2012, 06:20:32 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 16, 2012, 01:22:37 AM

Check out the Republican Party platform;  they're trying to get back to the sexual politics of the 16th century.  NYUK NYUK NYUK

Says the guy who claims to keep women tied up in his basement.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 10:52:36 AM

No, that's Languish that claims that.  For the last fucking time, I don't have a basement.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2012, 10:54:38 AM
Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 10:52:36 AM

No, that's Languish that claims that.  For the last fucking time, I don't have a basement.

I love that when charged with keeping women tied up in your basement, it's the basement part you choose to deny. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Sex is nothing but the continuation of politics with the admixture other means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 10:57:31 AM
I love that when charged with keeping women tied up in your basement, it's the basement part you choose to deny. :lol:

:lol: :P

Why would I want to keep them around?  Conversation?  I boot 'em out by 7am the next day.