News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cycling

Started by Lucidor, August 15, 2012, 04:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Dear Languish.

Due to me fast becoming an old man, with aches and pains hindering me from running as much as I'd love to, I've been looking into cycling as an alternative way to keep fit.

Do any of you gentlewomen /-men have any input on what to look for. I'm 188 / 6ft2in tall, medium build, so I guess I'll fit a standard frame OK. I have about 1200-1500 euros to spend without too much agony, but I may have to increase that if it only buys me shit.

I'm guessing I should get those click-on shoes.

Anyone with a good link to a thorough updated buyer's guide? Some links to good bikes? I'll try to buy locally, since I want to be able to just drop in if something isn't working, but I want to know what I'll be paying for.

Octavian

Enter the Mongers in 3, 2, 1....
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Grey Fox

You belong on the sidewalks!

:ultra:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 15, 2012, 05:57:54 AM

yes we do.
tell the damn cops that though. <_<
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

It's actually illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

no, no they don't. damn cyclists on the sidewalk.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Since you want cleats, I assume you want a road bike.  1500 can get you a very good bike, stiffened in the right places for power transfer, with quite good components.

Your height might indicate you need to get a better seat post than standard, but that isn't too much if needed.  I was recently looking at Trek road bikes in the $1400 range that had everything I wanted.

Now, I suggest that with the 'stache you get a hussar bike.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2012, 07:11:49 AM

It's actually illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk here.

Yes, that's my point.

For some stupid reason it has become normal for cyclist to be on the roads.

Roads belong to Motor Vehicles.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Octavian on August 15, 2012, 05:13:06 AM
Enter the Mongers in 3, 2, 1....

Most of my cycling experience isn't relevant and beside there are much better informed people than me.

Lucidor my best advice is find a bike shop with enthusiastic, knowledgeable staff, build a 'relationship' with them and let them take you through the process of choosing and sizing a decent bike.

Since you're spending a reasonable about of money on a 'performance' bike, you'd certainly benefit from getting a proper fitting for the bike, these can range from a careful measuring process at the shop, through to a computerised analysis of your body/shape/technique in a 'lab'. 

If you're relatively new to cycling, remember it should in large part be about fun, if you aren't having fun, then you and/or others are taking it too seriously.
A practical example is, don't pump up your road tyres to the nth degree, to get the absolute maximum rolling resistance, it'll be an unpleasant ride, just slacken the pressure off a bit and you'll have a more pleasing experience, though not too much that you risk snake bit punctures. 

PHD has given some good advice and I believe there are a couple of 'roadies' on the forum. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lucidor

Thanks for the advice, all. Re: tires. I have an OK:ish bike which I'll be using to and from work. Thus far I've always pumped the tires all the way up (60 psi-ish) and I've no complaints. Most of the time you aren't really sitting down on the bike anyway.

I shall criss-cross all over the roads and sidewalks, if that is good for you gentelemen...

mongers

Quote from: Lucidor on August 15, 2012, 08:46:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, all. Re: tires. I have an OK:ish bike which I'll be using to and from work. Thus far I've always pumped the tires all the way up (60 psi-ish) and I've no complaints. Most of the time you aren't really sitting down on the bike anyway.

I shall criss-cross all over the roads and sidewalks, if that is good for you gentelemen...

:cool:

Yeah, I just meant I know people who buy a road bike and insist on pumping the tyres upto 120+ psi and wonder why they get painful vibration in their hands, arms and shoulder etc.
Besides around here the road surfaces are so warn/uneven that you need a somewhat lower pressure it even out.

People are really getting into road bikes aren't they; I've seen plenty of new one in the last few weeks since the end of the Tour and the heightened coverage during the Olympics.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

The thing is, if you want a road bike then spend a bit more to get a decent frame and good components.  Don't go all the way either end, as the frames low-end suck and the high end is not worth it unless you decide to join a tour.

A good 1200-1500 euros should get you a damn fine bike that will be nice to ride.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM