News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I've had it with IE7

Started by Barrister, August 14, 2012, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Most of my time on Languish is from work, where I have a year-old HP notebook in a docking station.  It's a fine system, no real problems with it.

But my one issue is with the installed browser - IE7.  It sucks.  I hangs up all the time, lots of web pages give me notices "your browser is out of date".  Worst of all is I got screwed over when I tried to get on the Jets season ticket wait list last Friday.  It was only open for a few hours, but when I went to sign up it kept hanging up at a certain stage, and I'm all but certain it was due to IE7.

Now there are plenty of web browsers out there, but of course I do not have admin rights on this laptop.  I can not go and install Firefox or Chrome or even IE9.

Is there any way around this?  Can I find a browser that has an executable that I can run, but doesn't need to be 'installed'?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2012, 10:36:56 AM
Google Chrome.

Does that fit his specs?  As far as I know google chrome needed to install on my machine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 14, 2012, 10:40:41 AM
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-littleknown-portable-browsers-usb-drive/

I can personally vouch for Avant.

Thanks DSB.  Sounds like the word "portable" is key, and using it brings up all kinds of apps (including browsers) which can be run off a thumb drive.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 10:45:11 AM

Thanks DSB.  Sounds like the word "portable" is key, and using it brings up all kinds of apps (including browsers) which can be run off a thumb drive.

You can also run the portable app versions off of a directory on your hard drive without administrator access, which is how I'm browsing on Google Chrome right now.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable/

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on August 14, 2012, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 14, 2012, 10:45:11 AM

You can also run the portable app versions off of a directory on your hard drive without administrator access, which is how I'm browsing on Google Chrome right now.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable/

Answers my earlier question. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2012, 10:43:43 AM
Google Chrome.

Does that fit his specs?  As far as I know google chrome needed to install on my machine.

Ulmont solution is one but Google says that Chrome doesn't require admin rights. It says that it's regular install only install for the current user.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2012, 11:03:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2012, 10:43:43 AM
Google Chrome.

Ulmont solution is one but Google says that Chrome doesn't require admin rights. It says that it's regular install only install for the current user.

Well I'll be.

You're right.  No mucking around with a thumb drive.  I just clicked on Google Chrome and now here I am.

Grey Fox

Welcome to the Future or atleast, the present.

My GF's workplace are retard. They have tools that are IE6 only but now everyone has a Win 7 computer. Win 7 doesn't support IE6. What do they do? Update the tools? No that's too easy.

They created a program that access a virtual XP machine that runs IE6 & the tools.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2012, 11:28:32 AM
Welcome to the Future or atleast, the present.

My GF's workplace are retard. They have tools that are IE6 only but now everyone has a Win 7 computer. Win 7 doesn't support IE6. What do they do? Update the tools? No that's too easy.

They created a program that access a virtual XP machine that runs IE6 & the tools.

IE6/7 is nothing.

All our courthouse records are available online - but in a positively ancient CLI-only program.  It's like using WordPerfect 5.1 - you have to remember all these arcane function commands.

Sigh - I just realized you probably never used WP 5.1.

Grey Fox

That's right. I think I've seen WP 8 once.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2012, 12:09:29 PM
That's right. I think I've seen WP 8 once.

Once upon a time it was the be-all and end-all of word processors.

Then along came Windows, and with it, Word.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

ah, Wordperfect, you piece of crap.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.