News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CNN to cut back on...well, news.

Started by Josephus, August 13, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

If they ditch that dumb shit over-emoting Brooke Baldwin, I'd be happy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

They will go out of business soon if they don't do something different.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

:lmfao:  Hopefully this is the start of the terminal decline of 24 hour news network, and not just a punishment for trying to be non-partisan.  News networks need to go for the sake of our democracy.

Strix

If MTV has stopped playing music why shouldn't CNN stop showing news?  :wacko:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Viking

Quote from: Strix on August 13, 2012, 03:18:45 PM
If MTV has stopped playing music why shouldn't CNN stop showing news?  :wacko:

meh it's just the same relationship the history channel has to history, the sci-fi... sorry syfy channel has to science fiction and the discovery channel has to anything worth discovering.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Oh well, at least Al-Jazeera is actually on The Island.  :menace:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Hmm, I like CNN. I've been surprised that it gets so few viewers. It seems the more middle ground between Fox and MSNBC. But I guess it could work, add different type shows to go along with their news broadcasts. We don't need 24/7 news when there's nothing new to report. Gets tiring seeing some of the stuff that the stations put on. But I probably won't watch reality type shows on CNN, as I watch for the news.

The Minsky Moment

CNN ain't great but I agree with KRonn mostly - at least they are trying long after the others have given up.  So it's sad to see they are giving up as well, and going in a direction that appears even less edifying than what MSNBC or Fox are doing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

We still have C-SPAN :)

Actually I just saw C-SPAN has its archives online and I found when my mother was on it - with her perm!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son