News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dollar: Back to Monopoly Money Status?

Started by alfred russel, May 11, 2009, 06:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

There were a few threads about how the dollar was going down in flames a year or so ago, so I thought we should have one now that the dollar has been doing fairly well. So what do you think, no where to go but down from here? I'm getting rid of my dollars at the moment; I have a feeling we'll be doing a worse by year end.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

It certainly seems to be a truism atm that all this deficit spending is gonna blow inflation sky high. I don't have huge cash positions right now either, but I don't know if that's any different than I would have done if it wasn't the fear of the month anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Single dollar bills are like detritus in my apartment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I think it depends on how the US economy will be doing.

The recent raise in dollar value wasn't really caused by the relative strength of the US economy, but by the international investors (many of which are US-based) fleeing emerging markets and thus "buying" dollars (as they were selling other assets and currencies) thus bringing its price up. So will have to live and see if this is going to be a longer trend (Polish zloty, for example, which took a nose-dive against pretty much every major currency during the 2008/2009 winter, is now slowly but surely regaining its ground).

Viking

meh, if I can't buy boardwalk for $400 then my money is worth less than monopoly money...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2009, 10:23:09 PM
Single dollar bills are like detritus in my apartment.

A lot of people are like that. We call them strippers.

Octavian

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2009, 06:43:16 PM
I'm getting rid of my dollars at the moment; I have a feeling we'll be doing a worse by year end.

Just send them to me...
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

alfred russel

Quote from: Octavian on May 12, 2009, 05:56:48 AM
I'm getting rid of my dollars at the moment; I have a feeling we'll be doing a worse by year end.

Just send them to me...

Even the Nigerian scams try harder than that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

So dollars may become worth a lot less, due in part to over printing them, or what ever else. But the government will just print  trillions more to make up for it all. What could possibly go wrong?   :unsure:

Seriously though, I'm thinking about the inflationary cycle that may come later, and how serious a problem that may be. The Fed Reserve handles inflation but we've been printing so much money that I do wonder what impact that will have, and if the Fed can handle it. On top of a government that is financially stretched and getting worse with spending. That uber spending started under the Bush admin, and Congress went along with it, and it continues at an even much faster pace under the Obama admin. That all worries me, politics aside from it.

Jos Theelen

This situation could reverse. For every Zim-dollar you need thousands of US-dollars.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2009, 05:36:31 AM
A lot of people are like that. We call them strippers.

Really? If someone gave me a tip, I wouldn't throw it on the ground.

Zanza

There were a few threads about how the dollar was going down in flames a year or so ago, so I thought we should have one now that the dollar has been doing fairly well. So what do you think, no where to go but down from here? I'm getting rid of my dollars at the moment; I have a feeling we'll be doing a worse by year end.
The US is supposed to bounce back from the recession faster than some other regions in the world. If that actually happens I don't see why the dollar shouldn't stay relatively strong.

The Brain

The dollar is gonna plummet like Jaron's gf.

Wait, is it HyperBowl already?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

Quote from: Jos Theelen on May 12, 2009, 08:39:40 AM
This situation could reverse. For every Zim-dollar you need thousands of US-dollars.

I bet the ones who set up that picture took the 10 dollar bill and the Zim dollars with them again after the pictures had been taken.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee