Feds: Mississippi county runs 'school-to-prison pipeline'

Started by jimmy olsen, August 13, 2012, 04:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Didn't some other country down south get hammered for this a few years back?

Also, 60 days for negotiations? WTF, the Feds should being issuing commands.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/10/us/mississippi-juvenile-justice/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

QuoteFeds: Mississippi county runs 'school-to-prison pipeline'
By Michael Martinez, CNN
August 11, 2012 -- Updated 0009 GMT (0809 HKT)

(CNN) -- Officials in Lauderdale County, Mississippi, have operated "a school-to-prison pipeline" that violates the constitutional rights of juveniles by incarcerating them for alleged school disciplinary infractions, some as minor as defiance, the U.S. Department of Justice said Friday.

"Students most affected by this system are African-American children and children with disabilities," the Justice Department said.

The federal agency's civil rights division seeks "meaningful negotiations" in 60 days to end the constitutional violations or else a federal lawsuit would be filed against state, county and local officials in Meridian, according to a Justice Department letter dated Friday to those officials.

The letter also names two Lauderdale County Youth Court judges, Frank Coleman and Veldore Young.

State and local officials couldn't be reached immediately for comment Friday.

"The systematic disregard for children's basic constitutional rights by agencies with a duty to protect and serve these children betrays the public trust," Thomas E. Perez, assistant U.S. attorney general, said in a statement. "We hope to resolve the concerns outlined in our findings in a collaborative fashion, but we will not hesitate to take appropriate legal action if necessary."

In 2009, the Lauderdale County Juvenile Detention Facility in Meridian was the target of a federal class-action lawsuit by the Southern Poverty Law Center that alleged children and teens were subjected to "shockingly inhumane" treatment, the center said.

The alleged mistreatment included youngsters being "crammed into small, filthy cells and tormented with the arbitrary use of Mace as a punishment for even the most minor infractions -- such as 'talking too much' or failing to sit in the 'back of their cells,'" the center said in a statement.

In 2010, Lauderdale County officials and the center reached an agreement to reform the jail system and consider alternatives to sending youths to the detention center, said the Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights group.

"I think this is evidence of a broken system where the most vulnerable population of kids are not receiving their constitutionally guaranteed rights," Jody Owens II, managing attorney for the center's Mississippi office, told CNN.

On Friday, the U.S. Justice Department accused Meridian police of automatically arresting all students referred by the city's public schools and then sending them to the county juvenile justice system, "where existing due process protections are illusory and inadequate," the federal letter says.

The police department command staff and officers characterized their agency as a "taxi service" for the schools and juvenile detention facility, without assessing the circumstances of the alleged charges against students, the Justice Department said.

"The Youth Court places children on probation, and the terms of the probation set by the Youth Court and DYS require children on probation to serve any suspensions from school incarcerated in the juvenile detention center," the Justice Department letter said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

So that's why they want to get rid of the Department of Education.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Gotta hand it to the South, always thinking of new ways to outfox the Big Nasty Fedruhl Gubbmint to keep their negroloids in line.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 05:45:10 AM
Gotta hand it to the South, always thinking of new ways to outfox the Big Nasty Fedruhl Gubbmint to keep their negroloids in line.
We're rednecks, we're rednecks
We don't know our ass from a hole in the ground
We're rednecks, we're rednecks
Keepin' the niggers down.

Except, you know, Lauderdale county is fucking terrible anyway.  Fuck those people.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

DGuller

Seriously, Mississippi is like the Somalia of US.  Nothing that I hear from there surprises me anymore.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2012, 10:45:46 AM
Seriously, Mississippi is like the Somalia of US.  Nothing that I hear from there surprises me anymore.

That is the 2nd stupidest thing I've read on Languish today.

Seriously, you people eat a bowl of stupid today?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2012, 12:44:16 PM

:huh: I thought you were from Ohio?

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2012, 01:15:38 PM

:huh: I thought you were from Ohio?

And you are a goddamned Russian. What's your point, other than the one on top of your head?

garbon

I almost feel like we should have a meta-thread called "Mississippi: The Death of America"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I don't know. Similar to Detroit - pretty much every story that gets reported out of MS is an example of bigotry and backward thinking.

Well Detroit is more crime/corruption to MS's bigotry and backward thinking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I expect better of DG. He may be a Russian crypto-commie, but I expect better.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2012, 01:45:41 PM
I almost feel like we should have a meta-thread called "Mississippi: The Death of America"
Hasn't it always been a rathole though? This stuff is nothing new.
PDH!