Can a reality TV show help put humans on Mars?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 13, 2012, 04:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/12/reality-tv-humans-on-mars-earth
Can a reality TV show help put humans on Mars?

The spirit of ingenuity unleashed by the race to settle Mars could be a model for solving problems on Earth

Sarah Bakewell
        Sarah Bakewell   
        guardian.co.uk, Sunday 12 August 2012 14.40 BST   

Nasa and Mars science laboratory administrators and managers in Pasadena, California, celebrate the landing of the Curiosity rover on Mars. Photograph: Michael Nelson/EPA

On 5 and 6 June earthlings gathered to watch Venus cross the face of the sun. We won't have that opportunity again until 2117, but on 10 November 2084 something even more wonderful will be on offer. The Earth will transit across the sun – for observers on Mars, that is. This time the valiant speck rowing across the solar disc will be us. Will anyone be there on Mars to see it?

Fifty years ago, the answer would have been a confident yes; some even hoped we'd get there in time to view the last Earth transit, in 1984. Then the possibility dwindled as Nasa turned away from manned space travel towards robotic landers such as Curiosity.

Now, the answer seems to be turning to yes again. Nasa plans to send humans to Mars in the 2030s, and sees Curiosity as preparing the way for this rather than undercutting it. Meanwhile, a private company, Mars One, has been founded by the Dutch entrepreneurs Bas Lansdorp and Arno Wielders to try to beat Nasa by sending four people to Mars in 2023. They will not just plant a footprint; they will settle, and four more people will join them every two years until the colony is self-sustaining. They will be emigrants, not explorers: initially, at least, there will be no return trips, as it's much easier to get people to Mars than to get them back.

As if this were not astounding enough, Mars One will raise the $6bn needed by doubling as a reality TV show, with private investors. Volunteers will undergo 10 years of training under the public eye, then viewers will vote on which four go first. We'll see them on their seven-month journey, then watch and talk to them as they land, assemble their homes, set out solar panels, melt Martian ice and grow food. It will be a shared ride; the company have already recruited a veteran of the original Dutch Big Brother to organise it.

Lansdorp and Wielders are gambling on human curiosity – on human nature. You could even say that they are getting humanity to Mars using human nature itself as fuel. If they succeed, Nasa will land to find a Big Brother house already there. How will Nasa respond? Will it go sooner, be bolder, plan a colony instead of a visit? Almost anything could happen.

The nightmare possibilities of Mars One project are obvious. If the media novelty wears off, the settlers might be abandoned a few years after landing. Technical failures, with loss of life, could scupper future support for Mars travel. And Mars may become the property of a private company – a terrifying thought. But perhaps there is hope in the heart of these terrors.

In the 1990s, the entrepreneur Craig Venter similarly threatened to beat the public Human Genome Project to the sequencing of the human genome. Had he won outright, humanity's genetic essence would now be owned by private investors charging for its use. Instead, the project raced heroically faster, and they and Venter announced a joint result in 2000, with access free to all. Venter later said this was all he wanted: to make things happen.

Could we see something like this with Mars? Also, what about Earth? The big puzzle facing Earth-dwellers at the moment is how to motivate ourselves to do things clearly worth doing, but lacking immediate pay-offs. Our feeble response to the environmental crisis is a glaring case. To outwit ourselves, we need to harness our own psychology in new ways, and trick ourselves into doing good.

Could there be a genius of human motivation out there, ready to dream up some psychologically astute Earth One project? It might rest on some strange or frightening ploy at first, but if it rescues life on Earth, we'll have it.

And if it works, second-generation human Martians might not only watch the transit of Earth in 2084, but marvel at how that little round silhouette bears such foolish but inventive beings, and how they have achieved such wonders despite (and because of) themselves.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

What if the viewers vote to send an all-female or all-male team to Mars? 

Darth Wagtaros

Reality TV is crap and nobody should watch it.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2012, 05:54:34 AM
Reality TV is crap and nobody should watch it.
Not even if it could put a man on Mars?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

All participants, presenters, production staff and viewers of reality shows, scripted reality shows, talkshows and casting shows should be put on the B Ark.

Sorry, katmai.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2012, 06:10:26 AM
All participants, presenters, production staff and viewers of reality shows, scripted reality shows, talkshows and casting shows should be put on the B Ark.

Sorry, katmai.

I propose they be used as fuel instead. Katmai can stay though

Maximus

No. Reality TV is either a symptom or a cause, probably both, of a society of watchers. What is needed to accomplish great things is a society of actors, and not the Hollywood kind.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2012, 04:12:26 AM
If the media novelty wears off, the settlers might be abandoned a few years after landing.

Little chance of that, considering
QuoteVolunteers will undergo 10 years of training under the public eye,
that it will be long gone before they ever get there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

stupid idea. reality tv contestants are the lowest of the low. the better they are at stirring shit, the stupider the stuff they say, the wilder their antics....the better suited they are for the job.

the kind of people we'd be looking to send to mars would be the total opposite. dull, agreeable,mentally stable, respected scientists.

plus of course the idea just isnt practical. no way even the most popular of reality shows could make the money needed. and holding the public interest over 10 years of training? nah

my crazy theory: theyre pulling off a spoof like that barely remembered show from 10 years back.

or theyre publicity whores.

or morons about all but what made them rich
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

I vote to send all the cast of Jersey Shore on Mars and leave them there. Except Pauly D. I like Pauly D.