News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iraq > Iran

Started by The Minsky Moment, August 11, 2012, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 08:24:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 08:18:57 PMCrap like "Why didn't we get our oil!" and "We went to war because they tried to kill Dubya!" is just too infantile and tasty to let go.

Nah...sacrificing all that blood and treasure just to hand it over to the Iranian sphere of influence as it develops over the next several years is simple comfort enough.  No reasons or accountability necessary.

Arguing whether it was worthwhile or not is only made more difficult by your strawman regarding the motivation of those who pushed for war.

Holding anyone accountable is made more difficult by refusing to understand or even acknowledge the reasons for war.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 09:18:04 PM
Arguing whether it was worthwhile or not is only made more difficult by your strawman regarding the motivation of those who pushed for war.

OK, torch-bearer of Objective Truth(tm), what were the motivations?

QuoteHolding anyone accountable is made more difficult by refusing to understand or even acknowledge the reasons for war.

And they were?

And please, by all means, parrot the WMD angle.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 09:37:06 PM

OK, torch-bearer of Objective Truth(tm),

You are going to lose me in any try at an actual discussion if you decide you want to try to confuse me by imitating Raz.

0 rows returned

Phillip V

We should keep working on a new Status of Force agreement and bring back US troops to Iraq with permanent bases.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 10:09:31 PM
You are going to lose me in any try at an actual discussion if you decide you want to try to confuse me by imitating Raz.

No, I really want to know your explanation how the reasons for going to war in Iraq were exactly as advertised.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 10:41:57 PM

No, I really want to know your explanation how the reasons for going to war in Iraq were exactly as advertised.

Why in the world would I put forth such an explanation?

There are options besides exactly as advertised, oil, and "omg they tried to kill daddy!"

0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 07:35:18 PM
Quote from: dps on August 12, 2012, 06:48:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
The fact that nobody can agree on what the war was even about almost a decade later tells us why the public has so turned against it.

Heck, people still argue over what the ACW was about after 150 years.

Yes, there is a clear right and wrong answer on that one.

Well, that's half true.

The south clearly attempted to secede in order to preserve the institution of slavery, despite denials from certain quarters and the attempts of some people since then to obscure the issue.  But not everyone who fought for the south did so because they wanted to uphold slavery, and the north for the most part didn't fight to end slavery.

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on August 12, 2012, 02:15:13 AM
Yeah. I mean, what the fuck did we fight for?
We ain't got not oil, price at the gas pump still sky high.
I thought we were fighting for oil. I guess I was wrong.

price at the pump sky high? thought you  lived in the us. petrol is practically free there.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Good thing this thread went into the direction of Democrats and Republicans debating the Iraq war. We haven't had enough of that in the last 9 years.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 09:37:06 PM

OK, torch-bearer of Objective Truth(tm),

Don't read my posts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2012, 12:45:44 AM

Then don't give be shit about mine.

QuoteThere are options besides exactly as advertised, oil, and "omg they tried to kill daddy!"

Sure there are.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 05:28:12 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2012, 12:45:44 AM

Then don't give be shit about mine.

I cannot believe you are getting your panties twisted up over the idea that someone might find your "They tried to kill daddy!" mtivation for why the US went to war with Iraq less than compelling.

QuoteThere are options besides exactly as advertised, oil, and "omg they tried to kill daddy!"

Sure there are.

Glad you could figure this out. It only took 12 years!

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2012, 03:19:28 AM

price at the pump sky high? thought you  lived in the us. petrol is practically free there.

That has got to one of the stupidest things I've read in quite a while.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

you have it cheaper than I do, so STFU.

HVC

they (we) also have to drive more. So overall americans probably pay more for gas.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.