Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

This sounds like a bad idea to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2016, 02:15:35 PM
This sounds like a bad idea to me.

Yeah the Asian economies have always made them dangerously unbalanced in EU, this seems likely to just further establish their dominance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Those institution triggers are still weighted heavily to Europe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2016, 03:34:28 PM
Those institution triggers are still weighted heavily to Europe.

I know but when the Ming regularly eat Asia they don't need much more help.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

As states/overseas acceptance went pick and choose, so do cultures:

QuoteSpeaking of Swedish, I guess it is time to talk about something related. Culture.

Culture in Europa Universalis, as most of you seem to grasp, have nothing with linguistic relations to do, but more of a semi-arbitrary limits of who gets along better with who, and who could rule others easier through history.

Which cultures were accepted in your nation in EU4 has not really been controllable though before, as you get gaining or losing, depending on the presence of a culture in your country.

In 1.18, which we aim to release in the autumn, we have completely removed the cultural acceptance percentage system, and instead give you control over which cultures are accepted or not in your empire.

First of all, there is now a limit on how many cultures a nation can accept.

There is a base of 2 accepted cultures, The Humanist Idea 'Cultural Ties' gives you 2 more slots, Enlighetened Despotism increases it with up to 3 at Empire level & Several Nations have ideas giving them an extra slot. There are also policies that can give you an extra slot each if you so desire and Diplomatic Technology gives you up to 5 more slots, currently from level 8, 14, 20, 26 & 31.

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.

Any accepted or same culture group can be made into primary culture, if its at least 50% of your cored state development. This costs 100 diplomatic power and obviously this means that the cultural shift decision has been made obsolete and is now removed.

You can promote any culture in your nation that has at least 20 cored development in a state. It costs 100 diplomatic power.

You can also remove an accepted culture if you so wish, which costs 10 diplomatic power, and adds 5 unrest in all the provinces with that culture.

Here is a look of the new government window, which includes the culture lists.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I never bothered much with cultures, but picking and chosing your cultures? Is it necessary?

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2016, 08:05:56 AM
I never bothered much with cultures, but picking and chosing your cultures? Is it necessary?

If you want to play a game that is more akin to Risk than to a historical simulation, it is quite necessary.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 03, 2016, 08:58:06 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2016, 08:05:56 AM

If you want to play a game that is more akin to Risk than to a historical simulation, it is quite necessary.
Disagree. I think it makes a lot of sense and there's loads of historical examples of states in this period deliberately including or excluding cultures within their country. It would especially make sense if it could be tied to revanchism so, say England still accepts French culture even after they've lost their provinces perhaps increasing the length of time they have a core.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

The next feature in EU4 are great powers and special bonus actions for them. Because underpowered blobs were the main problem of EU4.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2016, 11:17:32 AM
The next feature in EU4 are great powers and special bonus actions for them. Because underpowered blobs were the main problem of EU4.

What's weird is they actually had a behind the scenes feature that kept track of great powers (was based on score, if I recall correctly). I do like the additional actions as they do make some sense for the later bits of the time frame. Not sure why they need PP bonuses and prestige decay though. Once it blobs, blob don't stop?

edit: oh they noted the PP is because if you are too big, you don't have rivals. I've never understood complaints on that though as you don't really need PP bonuses once you are that large.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2016, 11:17:32 AM

Victoria 3 confirmed.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2016, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2016, 02:11:18 PM
Victoria 3 confirmed.

Who what where?

They explicitly mentioned great powers (instead of just in the code) and so since the term was used in Vic3, must mean Vic3 is coming. Duh!

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2016, 02:57:55 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2016, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2016, 02:11:18 PM
Victoria 3 confirmed.

Who what where?

They explicitly mentioned great powers (instead of just in the code) and so since the term was used in Vic3, must mean Vic3 is coming. Duh!

Great powers and stuff like taking over the debt of another country are coming in the next patch. They have already added stuff that makes ten times more sense in a 19th century context. Ok, that was probably done to milk the game with DLCs.

But to me it more and more look like they are either coding Vicky 3 already and using it to add features to EU4 (same engine after all), or they are using EU4 to test-run features, much like how they labelled the prototype of CK2 Sengoku and sold as a standalone.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2016, 03:27:20 PM
But to me it more and more look like they are either coding Vicky 3 already and using it to add features to EU4 (same engine after all), or they are using EU4 to test-run features, much like how they labelled the prototype of CK2 Sengoku and sold as a standalone.

Wishful thinking?