News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Current game: Vijayanagra->Bharat. It's 1589 and I just finished westernizing (:pinch:). Right after I do, I get a very familiar type of message. Ming is no longer an acceptable rival. This is despite the fact they still have a higher score and more development than me, about the same income and nearly as large an army. Higher tech levels too, for now.

I'm really just glad the westernization is over. I hate fighting rebels.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2016, 10:27:41 AM
So even without explorers I've been able to cobble together a nifty little colonial empire.  Along the Indian Ocean rim I have Zanzibar, a fort on the coast opposite, a colony in the interior of Kenya (!), Aden and Mocha, Socotra, the Maldives, and all of the island chains off the west coast of Sumatra.  I'm debating whether to try to conquer Sumatra, Malaya, or Ceylon next.  The Bahmani Sultanate (as usual) controls virtually all of India and is one of my rivals, as well as the rival of my closest ally, Afghanistan, so I'm leaning toward Ceylon.

I also probably need to destroy Kilwa soon before they get powerful enough to retake Zanzibar.
The Turkish exploration of Australia has begin (the year is 1648, btw). :cool:

I've also destroyed the Sultanate of Siak (it retains two provinces on the mainland) and conquered the central portion of Sumatra and am aiming to colonize the southern provinces.  I have a colonial city on Belitung island, Johor, and two small but growing colonies in the Cocos Islands and on Sumba further east in the Indies.  It looks like I am on the path to create the Ottoman East Indies. :cool:

Portugal is in the area, but not doing much as of late and getting its ass kicked repeatedly in European conflicts.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

1670 here. I've managed to keep Euros out of Indonesia so far(I colonized South Africa, Madagascar, and the little islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean, so it's a long way.) My only competition there is Malacca. They are resilient MFers. I've been taking little bits of their territory for over a century and they keep getting more back from others. They no longer have Sumatra, or their starting peninsula, but they have most of Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and have been settling the Philippines.

After Ming ended our rivalry, we became allies. They were useful at times, but it appears now they've lost the Mandate of Heaven. So sad.

Reconquest of India proceeds apace. One more war against Malwa, one or two wars against Bengal and one or two against Bundelkhan(up til now our loyal stooge) and we will have all our Indian territories.

Current Rivals: Ottomans and Russia. Otto will have to be dealt with at some point as they are comfortably ahead of Bharat in score.  <_<

Eddie Teach

More on the silly rivalry system- I now have a third option to rival. Brazil. Their army is 12% the size of mine and their navy 10%.  :menace:

And they're currently at war with Bengal for some reason.  :huh:

garbon

In that last Prussian game I played, Mexico moved to take on chunks of India when the European powers had mostly left India alone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

In the recent games I have been playing Portugal colonises energetically but cannot hold on to those colonies due to its small base size. Mexico becomes a superpower sometime in the 17th century  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

New patch out. First change I noticed- rebels don't instantly cause longer separatism if there's a nearby fort. They have to siege the fort first.  :cool:

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2016, 02:49:08 PM
New patch out. First change I noticed- rebels don't instantly cause longer separatism if there's a nearby fort. They have to siege the fort first.  :cool:

Which to be honest is how it was supposed to function all along as far as what I recall Wiz saying a while back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I was in the 1720s as Portugal, and my land forcelimit was at 1050ish.  After the patch, I load the old save, and noticed that the forcelimit is now 1700ish  :lol:  Similar levels with naval. 

Josephus

Silly question....If I France DOW Burgundy, who is allied With Austria, does Austria also call her own allies to the war...if so, I'm never gonna take Burgundy :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2016, 02:04:13 PM
Silly question....If I France DOW Burgundy, who is allied With Austria, does Austria also call her own allies to the war...if so, I'm never gonna take Burgundy :(

iirc, only if you check Austria as a full target in the war.

Josephus

No, I didn' have that option, i don' think. Austria joined because it's the emperor, and Burgundy is in the empire. I did't expect, though, that all of Austria's allies will also join.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2016, 04:28:42 PM
No, I didn' have that option, i don' think. Austria joined because it's the emperor, and Burgundy is in the empire. I did't expect, though, that all of Austria's allies will also join.

Austria as emperor does seem to frequently go at war against the player as emperor if you fiddle in the HRE. It does a piss-poor job against the AI blobbing, though. What's more worrying for the player is the sheer force Austria musters. So a good rule is no war in the HRE unless Austria is otherwise occupied, hopefully with the Ottomans, Russia, Venice or France if you are not one of them. My Empire of The North could kick Russian butt, but due to sheer size it was a few levels behind the damned Habsburgs in tech and lost all wars against them.

Josephus

League Wars. I don't understand. :(

So I'm France. I went to DOW England, but then saw that England, as leader of the Proddie League was going to call the entire Protestant League.

Why? I wasn't declaring a League War. I'm not even in a league. If I join the Catholic League, will they rally behind me?
Civis Romanus Sum

Eddie Teach

Ok, playing as Ottomans, I just took a bunch of land off of Poland. I have the option to release the Golden Horde as my vassals. Historically, they were Sunni. I am Sunni. The province they would get is Sunni. So of course, they would be released as Catholic.  :wacko: