Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 21, 2015, 12:47:50 PM
Was pretty sure I only had the one leader

Oh...I might have naval leaders too.

Yeah, all leaders are counted for that purpose.  That is one of the reasons having a good military monarch or heir can help a lot (they don't get counted toward the total) - although there is the risk they might die in battle.

Viking

The Reign in Spain Part Quatro 1496-1513

Nobody might expect the Spanish Inquisition, but everybody expected the Spanish Invasion of Morocco planned for 1504. Deals were made and plans prepared. My nominal coalition of friends was Portugal, Castille, Switzerland and Bohemia. Byzantium promised to join but I expected a backstab from him, one he telegraphed by invading Naples, which was the planned direction for Castillian expansion. Hungary was held in reserve should Byzantium perform a full backstab. Our enemies were Morocco, Syria and secretly England. It is not certain if Byzantium planned a full backstab or not, he suffered from a disaster during the session so we will never know. Syria also started westernizing despite almost certainly knowing the war was coming.

Byzantium attacked Naples during my regency and our truce. This annoyed the his most catholic majesty greatly. However the direction was set and the hope was that Byzantium would merely fail to help rather than go full backstab. We attacked with a portugese CB due to castille having none. We called in switzerland initially. Morocco called in Syria and England. Though I'm not sure if Syria was in the war or not. If he was he peaced out early to focus on westernization. The Moroccan armies hid in tripolitana hoping for re-enforcements that never came as Castillian, Portugese and Swiss armies overran the Maghreb pretty quickly. When support for Morocco failed to materialize the Moroccans surrendered to the coalition. A mess-up occurred since Bohemia joined the wr too late to get any boons, since the terms had to be given before he joined. Melilla and Oran were given to Aragon (who had conveniently fabricated claims on them) and three provinces were given each to teclmen and algiers in addition to 4 provinces each for switzerland and morocco.

Byzantine treachery and bohemian support was immediatly repaid as the spanish army moved to Italy to join the war in the Balkans. Hungary and Bohemia had started a war with Ruthenia which was supported by Byantium. To revenge myself on Byzantium and support Bohemia I joined too. In response to me joining Syria and England joined to help Ruthenia. Castillian fought a won a a phyrric victory at sea against the Syrians in the strait of Messina which permitted the spaniards to cross into Naples. Naples was quickly sieged down and as the spanish armies moved into Hungary to help there, England invaded North Spain. The armies were diverted back to spain and the English forces were systematically broken down and eventually wiped. It was a tricky campaign that needed to be won quickly. It was helped by a crash which meant that a decisive battle in Soria had to be fought again. In the first battle the spanish won one battle and the english won another in aragon when I pursued him there from Soria where I broke. In the second go round I withdrew from the soria battle early so I won the second battle as well due to my morale being higher than it was first time round. After the Iberian campaign the Spanish armies quickly moved to the Balkans again.

The Spaniards were much more aggressive than teh bohemians or hungarians which were sitting passively. Watching sieges progress. So the Spaniards invaded wallachia wiping two vassal stacks. Then fought a large battle in Silistra. The river crossing was not an issue due to my leaders high maneuver value. That battle was won and the spanish army then moved on to constantinopel and sieged it. For one blessed moment the Eastern and Western Rome were under the same Rule: The Rule from Toledo! At that moment the toll on Ruthenia and his allies was too great. Byzantium was having revolt issues and Seemingly Syria was the most enthusiastic on the Ruthenian side. In the peace Naples was given to Castille and some polish provinces given to hungary and bohemia by Ruthenia.

The Castilian Army returned to spain to fight andalucian rebels that popped up. The session ended just as they were preparing for that battle.

Castille was fortunate in it's king. The Heir started as a 4/5/3 well above average monarch but recieved the regency education event and was boosted to a 4/5/5. I felt compelled to recruit him as a general too, which was a good choice as he ended up as a 2 star 4/1/4/1 general, my first choice and superior to all his foes in the Maghreb War and the Balkan War. In other news Half the Greater Antilles have been colonized and the Mexicans are ripe for conquest.

Mini AARs start here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18780622&viewfull=1#post18780622

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Viking

Seriously if I all I get is shit about that I'm the GM and I'm doing well without knowing what I did as GM I'm just not going to bother. If nobody gives a shit and all I get is insults I'll take my ball and go home.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Seriously, I think these jokes are too far.  I know you people are just dicking around with Viking, but you kind of are questioning his integrity.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2015, 10:40:51 AM
Seriously, I think these jokes are too far.  I know you people are just dicking around with Viking, but you kind of are questioning his integrity.

Viking's integrity is in no question with me, it is just that the setup he has is very odd, and I am not sure if I would be comfortable with even him being a GM-strongest starting country combo, let alone somebody random.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2015, 10:57:03 AM

Viking's integrity is in no question with me, it is just that the setup he has is very odd, and I am not sure if I would be comfortable with even him being a GM-strongest starting country combo, let alone somebody random.

Last time I was moldova, so fuck you.

DGuller

I can see that.  It's like playing in an underground game of poker with a cop.  Maybe he's perfectly professional beyond reproach, and never arrests a hooker that turns him down or a drug dealer that sells him weak shit, but you may still be thinking twice about bluffing him.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on January 30, 2015, 11:20:34 AM

Last time I was moldova, so fuck you.

Fair enough  :sleep:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

On a different note, they really need to fix this rebel thing. Scotland had control of Northumberland, York and Cornwall. Independence rebels broke out in Cornwall which for some unknown reason were Yorkist rebels. Scotland acceded to rebel demands when those rebels took Cornwall and now York is an independent state, despite the fact that no rebels ever controlled York. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I have no problem with Viking's situation.  I do have a problem with his insistence on using "it's" as possessive.

But, primarily, the reason I am not troubled by his GMing that game is that, inevitably, his, er...diplomacy skills will end up balancing him just like in the Languish games.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on January 30, 2015, 08:57:02 AM
I'll take my ball and go home.

You did better than that in this game  :P

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2015, 05:32:54 PM
I have no problem with Viking's situation.  I do have a problem with his insistence on using "it's" as possessive.

But, primarily, the reason I am not troubled by his GMing that game is that, inevitably, his, er...diplomacy skills will end up balancing him just like in the Languish games.

:P

I'm following the AAR too. I'm just fucking with Viking. :unsure:

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on January 31, 2015, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2015, 05:32:54 PM

:P

I'm following the AAR too. I'm just fucking with Viking. :unsure:

At some point if all I get is crap I'm gonna assume that's all you want to give me.

In any case, the latest tiers, I'm not by far the greatest power and the people bitching or mocking obviously haven't read the thread.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18746527&viewfull=1#post18746527

QuoteGreat Powers - Hegemon in there sphere of influence and able to exert some power over those nearby.

England - Hegemon of the British Isles, and able to exert power over the North Sea, France, and Scandinavia. Finished the war of the roses and got a decent heir, but then went into a civil war . Overall this has meant England did not expand that much the past few years, however is still in a strong position once integration of the vassal states occurs. Once the British Peoples are United England may be a superpower. - The Great Power of the Isles

Bahmanis - Hegemony over India makes Bahmanis strong, tales of the great Sultanate have been heard in the English Court. Once India is quelled a superpower may arise that can influence everything east of Africa. - Great Power of the Indian Subcontinent.

Castille - Has grown this session and gained a foothold of Italy and Africa however the growth of Hansa and the growth of Byzantium means that Castille while in a geographic position to exert influence over large swathes of europe, the areas that he can reach are now more easily dominated by others. - Great Power of Iberia.

Byzantium - Equal in strength to Hansa but slightly worse of in Projecting power. Byzantium is the Hegemon of Greece and Anatolia, with the loss of Georgia Byzantium is set to expand eastward. The purple phoenix rises. - Great Power of Greece.

Syria - Hegemony over the middle east makes Syria a mighty power, growth has slowed since the vassalization of the Mameluke sultanate and they are waning as a power but while they can still project power all over the Med they are still a great power. Though that status is threatened by the rise of Byzantium, and the Rise of Switzerland and provence. - Great Power of the Middle East

Hansa - The Portugal of the North slightly weaker on the open seas but much stronger in the baltic and Hegemony over Northern Germany makes Hansa a Great Power to be reckoned with going forwards. - Great Power of the North

Teutonic Order - Made some moves on the Golden Horde during there time of weakness and is expanding well, possibly is owed a favour by Sweden and still has Hegemony over the Baltic Duchies the Teutons are doing well and will continue to do well. - Great power of the East.

I'm on par with these players in strength.