News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on January 20, 2015, 01:20:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, it the peace mechanism in EUIV as dodgy as it sometimes is in EUIII?

They have done a lot of work with it.  There are a number of options now and the AI is much more intelligent about accepting good deals.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 01:23:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, it the peace mechanism in EUIV as dodgy as it sometimes is in EUIII?

They have done a lot of work with it.  There are a number of options now and the AI is much more intelligent about accepting good deals.
:yes: They've definitely done a lot to improve it.  I think the days of having Huron be forced to occupy all of Iberia to get one province in North America are long gone.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2015, 03:24:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 01:23:09 PM

:yes: They've definitely done a lot to improve it.  I think the days of having Huron be forced to occupy all of Iberia to get one province in North America are long gone.

And historical accuracy be damned. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Sometimes the peace AI is annoying as all hell though.

Independence wars are the worst. Say I'm playing as Mughals and Persia is my vassal. If Persia seeks independence and goes to war with me, it's almost impossilbe for me to offer it peace because the "goal" for Persia is "hold capital". If i'm losing the war and offer it "independence +6 states it currently occupies", it refuses. Eventually after years it will offer a peace seeking independence, when I offered it to him plus more years ago.

Also sometimes I'm losing a war and want to end it, but the AI refuses to entertain any offers (suggestion button is grey). I wish there was a "Unconditional surrender" button which gives the AI whatever it asks for.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

new expansion coming up: el dorado

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2015, 03:35:15 PM
I wish there was a "Unconditional surrender" button which gives the AI whatever it asks for.

Too easy that way.  I like the fact the AI makes you suffer when you are down.  A human player certainly would, unless you are playing in Viking's game and the rules can be interpreted in such a manner to avoid that result if it has a negative effect on Viking or one of his allies. 

Viking

The Reign in Spain Part tress 1477-1496

Unfortunately we started in a regency. This state of affairs would trouble us through much of the session. Having explored the carribean I'm waiting on jan 15 1500 to start colonizing. I've been sending out explorers and have reached the gulf of mexico. Two ships have operated in tandem with the explorer jumping to the new ship as soon as  his weather beaten holk returns battered. I have dip 7 so I have the range without problems. Soon I'll bulk up ideas for 3 colonists.

The first war was in Catalonia, where I returned cuenca to aragon after it revolted to catalonia.

The second was the clusterfuck which was italy. Unable to find a CB on the pope to vassalize him after being refused cooperation from naples I joined Switzerland's invasion of southern italy. Eventuall this netted me Rome and Messina, setting me up to finish off naples quietly without any fuss.

The third war was the one in the maghreb. A long planned war which was upset by the italian war which happened at the same time. Morocco sensing that he neared his destruction fought back with vigour and with help from Syria. After taking the war target, beating the muslim armies in repeated battles despite their superior leadership, Morocco surrendered. Ceuta was given to portugal, oujda and dahra to spain and the vassalage of algiers was transferred to spain. It was a great victory.

In total Spain participated in two wars with players which left them very much neutered and possibly unviable. Indeed, Naples gave up and moved to Lan Xang.

My main headache of the session was the pope. Since I got rome during the war with the muslims and couldn't release the pope before he moved to germany. Suffering 70% at that time I consider it a bit fortunate that morocco surrenderd as soon as he did. After the moroccan war I had to deal with 100k granadan and heretic rebels in spain. My armies are still recouperating. In other news, the Pope was made a March. I'm certainly not going to annex the fucker, he's too valuable as a vassal to me in the long term.

Mini AARs start here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?826165-Primi-Pauci-et-Intrepedi-VI-Tuesdays-20-00-23-00&p=18744046&viewfull=1#post18744046
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

It's actually quite good right now. War leader never shifts, so no chained calls to allies. You can only get 100% against the target if the war has lasted for more than 5 years, the war score cost for taking stuff from allies is doubled and the diplo cost is increased for taking from allies.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 05:26:12 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2015, 03:35:15 PM
I wish there was a "Unconditional surrender" button which gives the AI whatever it asks for.

Too easy that way.  I like the fact the AI makes you suffer when you are down.  A human player certainly would, unless you are playing in Viking's game and the rules can be interpreted in such a manner to avoid that result if it has a negative effect on Viking or one of his allies.

Right now you are quite obviously being a major asshole.

crazy canuck

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2015, 06:11:40 PM
That bait is way to easy to set.
I don't think that was the bait as much as it was just a raw insult.  While it was transparent, it wasn't really that amusing.

crazy canuck

Ok, if we are going to tread carefully over Viking's God complex of being the Rule maker, arbiter of those rules and player who controls the most powerful nation then the terrorists really have won.  :P

Josephus

Hey. Quick question. In the Monarchy Points, under military power I have a red (-3) for 4/1 leaders. What does 4/1 leaders mean?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: Josephus on January 20, 2015, 08:52:07 PM
Hey. Quick question. In the Monarchy Points, under military power I have a red (-3) for 4/1 leaders. What does 4/1 leaders mean?

That you can support one free leader without incuring losses in Military Points; so you have four it incurs -3 per month.

Rulers and Heirs made leaders do not count.

Josephus

Was pretty sure I only had the one leader

Oh...I might have naval leaders too.
Civis Romanus Sum