News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 08, 2014, 01:39:36 PM
Quick question: What's it take to annex a one-province minor?
I, England, was at war with some N.American OPM, Mahican, or something. They were allied with two other OPMs. I occupied Mahican's one province, but wasn't able to annex it (the tooltip said I didn't have enough war score). I eventually had to Military Access my way across Canada to get to the other two OPMs, seiged and occupied them, before I could annex Mahican. Is that WAD?
Would the same thing happen in Europe? If a OPM was allied with France, how would I annex that? Or does all this have something to do with the ticking war score?

You can't annex in the first five years of a war if the OPM has allies. This is a new feature due to war-leadership no longer being transferred.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Peace is messed up.

So I'm England. My colony Newfieland decides to DOW Spanish Canada or something...and I get pulled into this war which also includes Spain and a boatload of her allies as my enemy.
To compound matters my ally Connaught pulls me into a war with Scotland and France.

My fleets are destroyed and soon the French and particularly the Spanish land armies on Britain. I am soon overwhelmed. I start to offer terms of peace but the Spanish aren't interested. Even though I offer them colonies, the -1000 negative for not wanting the colonies will never make them accept. I offer them money, but that makes it worse. War score keeps climbing,I have taken about five loans, I have no more soldiers or provinces to raise any. Southern England belongs to Spain. NOrthern England belongs to Scotland and France. I am utterly destroyed.

The "Ask for terms" button, or whatever it is, is always greyed out and Spain won't accept anything I offer.

Finally when I am down to 100 war score, Spain offers me a white peace.

Really? OK.

I am now at war with Scotland and France.

France makes a separate peace with Connaught, leaving me at war alone with Scotland. With southern England back under my control, I am able now to muster a decent army, seize Lothian and end the war.

My point is it shouldn't have happened that way.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

1. You should just have left Connaught to get shafted. Fight wars on your own terms whenever possible.
2. Spain didn't want anything from you. So it kept attacking due to it's superiority and the fact that he was winning. Once the war timer expired he found he didn't want anything you had so he just made a white peace.

It's a bit hard to teach the AI what to do and how. In any case you did get punished for attacking Spain.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

You'd think at the least he'd want some of my ducats or trade power. That's what I mean. Seemed like a senseless war.
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2014, 12:27:48 PM
You'd think at the least he'd want some of my ducats or trade power. That's what I mean. Seemed like a senseless war.

War, good God, what is it good for....

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2014, 12:27:48 PM

Didn't he even ask for war reparations?

Josephus

Nope. A white peace. I offered him money a couple times, but that just added -1000 to the odds of getting a peace deal.
Civis Romanus Sum

Darth Wagtaros

I'm not finding a lot of replay value here. 
PDH!

Solmyr

Today is 570 years from the beginning date of EU4. :P

crazy canuck

Having a good game as Russia.  I am finding the new peace rules allow for a fairly rapid expansion by taking on vassals, fighting their wars and then diplo annexing later on.  It adds a lot of flavour to the game imo.

garbon

So has anyone actually seen colonization slowed down by all the new provinces? By the mid 18th century, I'm typically seeing everything colonized - but with added fun that all those new provinces are held by many different nations. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2014, 10:11:44 PM
So has anyone actually seen colonization slowed down by all the new provinces? By the mid 18th century, I'm typically seeing everything colonized - but with added fun that all those new provinces are held by many different nations. <_<

Everything colonized only by mid-18th century sounds pretty slow to me. I agree though that colonial nation borders look terrible. Maybe colonial nations in the same region that achieve independence should merge together or something.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on November 17, 2014, 05:35:23 AM

Everything colonized only by mid-18th century sounds pretty slow to me. I agree though that colonial nation borders look terrible. Maybe colonial nations in the same region that achieve independence should merge together or something.

I'm gonna add a limiter to colonization in my gameplay mod. -100 colonial growth in certain regions until they historically were colonized. East USA 1600, Brazil 1500, California 1700 etc. Not because the AI can't do it, but because players in mp certainly it will mean that england, france and netherlands can join the colonial race a bit late without being harmed by it.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on November 17, 2014, 05:35:23 AM

Everything colonized only by mid-18th century sounds pretty slow to me.

Okay maybe it is somewhat slower but that's still less than ideal.  Large swathes of South America, North America, Australia and South Africa should still not be colonized then - and for most not fully colonized till after the period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.