News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on November 05, 2014, 09:59:03 PM
Just noticed you can cross from Scotland to Northern Ireland without getting on a boat. :huh: Is this new?

Yeah, I believe that's a new strait. Sort of makes sense, well at least for me with the continuity of how that strait exists in CK2 as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Just noticed you can cross from Scotland to Northern Ireland without getting on a boat. :huh: Is this new?

It's there to help the UK put down revolts in ireland. Right now the AI can't. You'll notice the straits in teh carribean, they are there for the same reason.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 12:03:28 AM

It's there to help the UK put down revolts in ireland. Right now the AI can't. You'll notice the straits in teh carribean, they are there for the same reason.
That amazes me. I'm no programmer, but they're on EU4 with who knows how many expansions spread across those games and they still can't make the AI transport troops with boats?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2014, 12:41:56 AM

That amazes me. I'm no programmer, but they're on EU4 with who knows how many expansions spread across those games and they still can't make the AI transport troops with boats?
Presumably because it is a complex (as in being made up of many parts) operation to move across seas. Tehy have been trying to use the autotransport system. It's a bit tricky to make it work properly in part because you need to match transport capacity with army size.

More importantly matching army size with rebel size, dealing with the invasion malus and only reacting when a rebel siege has finished. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2014, 10:02:56 PM

Yeah, I believe that's a new strait. Sort of makes sense, well at least for me with the continuity of how that strait exists in CK2 as well.

IIRC, it was there in EUII and went away in EUIII.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 12:47:20 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2014, 12:41:56 AM

Presumably because it is a complex (as in being made up of many parts) operation to move across seas. Tehy have been trying to use the autotransport system. It's a bit tricky to make it work properly in part because you need to match transport capacity with army size.

More importantly matching army size with rebel size, dealing with the invasion malus and only reacting when a rebel siege has finished. 

And also the likely don't consider it that important. It has been what - 14 years now and countless titles?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

So there aren't any naval invasions of any value?

Or just the usual 2-3 army ones?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 06, 2014, 09:26:03 AM

I see 20-30 regiment invasions in america and india from time to time. The game can put 20k spaniards in newfoundland or 30k englishmen in south india.

garbon

No it happens. I've seen the AI bring large forces to wipe out the Aztecs, for instance.

garbon

Another beta  fix is up which is supposed to curb slowdown that happens after a couple centuries of play.

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 09:34:19 AM

I see 20-30 regiment invasions in america and india from time to time. The game can put 20k spaniards in newfoundland or 30k englishmen in south india.

so why can't it deal with rebels in Ireland?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2014, 12:12:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2014, 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 04, 2014, 06:46:40 PM
Yep. These days we pay for the privilege of fixing the game. Fun!

It is either that or not get games.

One of the reasons I stopped buying Paradox games.  Or pretty much any other computer games, too.

Seems counter-productive for such a minor bother.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2014, 09:34:27 AM

No it happens. I've seen the AI bring large forces to wipe out the Aztecs, for instance.
There's usually a full blown war going on though isn't there? I've noticed in Victoria II that if there's a war the AI has no problem sending in the Royal Navy and dropping off 48,000 red coats, but if there's a rebellion it's often ignored. It's very odd.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 06, 2014, 12:02:57 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2014, 09:34:19 AM

so why can't it deal with rebels in Ireland?

You got me there, no clue.

Josephus

Quick question: What's it take to annex a one-province minor?
I, England, was at war with some N.American OPM, Mahican, or something. They were allied with two other OPMs. I occupied Mahican's one province, but wasn't able to annex it (the tooltip said I didn't have enough war score). I eventually had to Military Access my way across Canada to get to the other two OPMs, seiged and occupied them, before I could annex Mahican. Is that WAD?
Would the same thing happen in Europe? If a OPM was allied with France, how would I annex that? Or does all this have something to do with the ticking war score?
Civis Romanus Sum