News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote- Garrisons can now sortie from their fortress against a besieging force.
Now this one is interesting. Always seemed a bit of an immersion breaker that your 5000 man fortress would just stay inside the walls whilst a few hundred enemy men sit outside its gates.
It does make forts a lot more powerful too....
Could be kind of exploity- lure enemy armies deep into your territory chasing one of your units and constantly attack them with small armies along the way.

QuoteAlso  AI "Will no longer have a penalty to joining wars that have been going on for over 60 days" :o
That is good too. Far more realistic. It makes no sense France would stay out of Brittany and Ireland throwing insults at each other just because it has been going on for 40 years. If the French decide its time to end the war for whatever reason then they will end it.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Wealth of Nations for 2,5 bucks at GMG.

DGuller

Anyone tried AoW yet?  Is it ready, or does it need to go back in the oven for a while?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 31, 2014, 04:42:11 PM
Anyone tried AoW yet?  Is it ready, or does it need to go back in the oven for a while?

I haven't bought the expansion yet but I've played a little of just the free patch. I'm still learn ropes of the new autonomy/unrest system.

Forum is, of course, awash with lots of complaints though biggest one seems to be people angry about nerfs to native americans and african states (because of new colonial rules around autonomy minimum) - which is like who gives a fuck.

Little rough on the edges but nothing disastrous so far.

One thing I wish p'dox would do though is create some sort of internal validator. Whenever I use that validator that was fan created, I see that the files they create are full silly errors. Seems like something they could manage on their own. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

There appears to be a new feature where by if enemies have taken control of your provinces during war - you'll get rebels that rise up against them sometimes by random event. Feature would be neat except that those rebels don't seem to have a disband command when war ends. I'm currently seeing about 3 nations that have rebels chillin' on their lands but because they are friendly to their host nation, they aren't doing anything at all. :D

edit: actually this appears to be the bug they have fixed now (in a beta patch) where patriot rebels would rise up against a nation with same culture and thus have nothing to do
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also I just saw AI start a colony where it will have -5 growth per year and 1% chance of attracting settlers with its colonist. <_<

Zoupa

I never understood why game companies that are doing well push out obviously unfinished products.

Did Paradox need the money RIGHT NOW!!!!!11111one! What s the difference for them to release it in a couple of weeks to make sure they fix some obvious shit?

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2014, 04:20:06 PM
I never understood why game companies that are doing well push out obviously unfinished products.

Did Paradox need the money RIGHT NOW!!!!!11111one! What s the difference for them to release it in a couple of weeks to make sure they fix some obvious shit?

Agreed though, unless it causes them to lose customers, is there a downside for them?

I haven't yet purchased the expansion as I see no need to spend 20 bucks while they iron it out.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2014, 04:06:15 PM
Also I just saw AI start a colony where it will have -5 growth per year and 1% chance of attracting settlers with its colonist. <_<

As long as they leave the colonist there they will complete those colonies, it just takes very long. The colonization events will usually build the colony. AI get's bonuses for fewer native attacks, so they can do that.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Zoupa on November 01, 2014, 04:20:06 PM

I was in the beta we didn't even get free copies of the expansion.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on November 01, 2014, 05:11:26 PM

As long as they leave the colonist there they will complete those colonies, it just takes very long. The colonization events will usually build the colony. AI get's bonuses for fewer native attacks, so they can do that.

Well it lost the colony (presumably native attack) and then several years later started it up there again. Meanwhile other colonial nations are faring better as they started up targeting non-tropical provinces.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2014, 05:14:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 01, 2014, 05:11:26 PM

Well it lost the colony (presumably native attack) and then several years later started it up there again. Meanwhile other colonial nations are faring better as they started up targeting non-tropical provinces.

yeah, going for tropical provinces early on is a bad idea, but sometimes necessary.

jimmy olsen

Isn't that how Scotland went bankrupt in real life?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

It looks like with the larger province counts they have swung too far in changing balance for colonial nations. Before most CNs stayed the course and remained subjects of their mother nations throughout the end of the game period. Now the opposite has happened and by the early 18th century, most are independent or nearing independence.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 08:59:49 AM
It looks like with the larger province counts they have swung too far in changing balance for colonial nations. Before most CNs stayed the course and remained subjects of their mother nations throughout the end of the game period. Now the opposite has happened and by the early 18th century, most are independent or nearing independence.

Its a good thing they revolt at all imho. The big factor driving this is the WE contribution to growth in independence desire. At the end of the game only three colonial nations should be still loyal, that is canada, australia and alaska. Everybody else should either be independent or revolting. Though 1700 is a bit early, but that is just as much a function of fast colonization as it is of the tendency of countries to fight until completely occupied thus having it's WE contribute massively to its liberty desire.