News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zoupa on September 24, 2014, 04:55:03 PM
The siberian thing sounds quite dumb. They need to add more stuff to do within your borders while at peace instead of adding more worthless provinces and tags to regions very very few people play in.

with a bit more effort they can fill the whole world and do away with the colonisation mechanic... might as well take it to it's logical conclusion

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 09:16:00 AM
Here's a post from someone really excited about the new expansion. Somehow, I'm managing to contain my enthusiasm. :mellow:

Quotefinally expanded Caucasus
And my biggest shock: SIBERIAN NATONS. I am not talking about Mongol Hordes but about Kamchatka (!) and few other nations in Eastern Siberia (!!). Not sure if it is 100% realistic they are organised states but it is surely awesome.
Spellus? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Honestly I was never very keen on N. American nations in the first place.  The Aztecs and the Incas are bit different (though not much, as both empires were brought down by very small groups of men).  The guy they dug out of an Austrian glacier back in the 1990's, he had more going for then most of those people.  He had an axe made of copper.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Don't really feel up to posting out entry here. Here's link to latest dev diary.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802982-EU4-Art-of-War-Dev-Diary-6-Client-States-Allied-Transports-and-Central-Asia

My thoughts (as I really just feel like ranting :D -_-):

• Client states - Kinda underwhelming. Basically standard vassals but you get to design their name and look. I mean I guess Napoleonic flavor but not really one of the big ticket items needed to make Napoleonic era "work".
  • Allied transports - Looks like that'll be useless unless you are in MP as I can't see how AI would coordinate with you to share each other's transports.
  • Improved Battle displays - Really just added chrome, so can't hate but hardly exciting.
  • Central Asia - bevy of new provinces. I wish they had mentioned something about how Russia will have no issue taking these states out (given how Russia often has issues reaching the Pacific before Spain colonizes those arctic provinces). Instead the confessed 'Russophile who can read Russian Cyrillic' wrote about how Nogai won't be annexable in one bite now.
  • Silly new tribes around Kamchatka - yeah so no real justification was given for why the few tribes picked were upgraded from empty provinces with natives to tribal states that can move around. Again, it'd be nice to hear something about balance for Russia with now more provinces to conquer. Instead, there was a mention that these new tribe states could "become base for conquest of Siberia by mighty Spain". Government type for these new states? Why Siberian clan council, of course! And while at, they really deserve their own trade node, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, I feel like I'm in bizarro-land as from what I've seen, reactions to mod-explosion in AoW seem to be very positive. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 03:58:07 PM
Btw, I feel like I'm in bizarro-land as from what I've seen, reactions to mod-explosion in AoW seem to be very positive. :hmm:

People always love more provinces and people always love new features. Lots of both. Plus now the Byzantards can move on and do Theodoro WCs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 05:00:09 PM
It does look like with new provinces - they went overboard with inconsequential states. Actually they even just threw in lots of inconsequential tribes as those far eastern Russia tags show (I saw another screen that showed added random tribes in Brazil and Argentina...).
There were lots of tribes in Americas that were vastly larger than most people today envision due to western explorers coming across the depopulated postapocalyptic wastelands that followed the smallpox-measles pandemic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2014, 01:33:29 AM
It does look like with new provinces - they went overboard with inconsequential states. Actually they even just threw in lots of inconsequential tribes as those far eastern Russia tags show (I saw another screen that showed added random tribes in Brazil and Argentina...).
There were lots of tribes in Americas that were vastly larger than most people today envision due to western explorers coming across the depopulated postapocalyptic wastelands that followed the smallpox-measles pandemic.

Well the options are to either leave them as they are,or make them larger and give them a long series of nasty events as soon as america is discovered.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2014, 01:33:29 AM

Ok? That doesn't really seem to have any bearing on the discussion of how exactly they decide what should be represented as natives and what gets represented as a EU4 state.

garbon

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?804057-EU4-Art-of-War-Dev-Diary-7-Religious-Leagues-The-Reformation-and-the-Near-East

While it is nice that there will be some dynamism around religion in HRE, seems unclear if nations outside HRE will ever participate. Also, I hope the stalemate on religious war is most common occurrence.

edit: Actually looks like Wiz confirmed outside nations may participate though he also noted that religious leagues will likely form way earlier than they did historically...

Protestant mechanic - I guess this is a wait and see. Surely Protestantism should be able to spread to territories that are not immediately near.

At least they aren't going over the top with new tags for Middle East - just 6, 4 of which are revolters. 123 new provinces seems like a lot though - particularly when thinking that the Ottomans need to conquer a lot.

Zanza

Adding all those provinces just adds tedium. Especially if they don't scale over-extension and aggressive expansion with it.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on October 03, 2014, 08:57:19 AM
Adding all those provinces just adds tedium. Especially if they don't scale over-extension and aggressive expansion with it.

I would expect the purpose of that be to have a game without WCs.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 03, 2014, 09:16:32 AM

That was a stated aim by Johan but then it's like okay so where are the additional mechanics for things to do when at peace to compensate?

Zanza

Quote from: Viking on October 03, 2014, 09:16:32 AM

That's okay, I never went for a world conquest anyway. But if I can't conquer India in a timely fashion as the Mughals or the Middle East as the Ottomans because they added a shitload of useless provinces, I will not enjoy the game as much as before.