News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 04:31:22 PM

A lot of things hanged in EU4, you should probably give it a try.

Not sure that my current video card is up to it.  And if I ever buy anything from Paradox again, I'd get CKII first.  Not sure my video card will handle that, either.

Viking

Quote from: dps on July 19, 2014, 06:19:59 PM

Not sure that my current video card is up to it.  And if I ever buy anything from Paradox again, I'd get CKII first.  Not sure my video card will handle that, either.

if it worked for  EU3 then it will work for EU4

though if you have any doubts

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2014, 02:11:44 AM

if it worked for  EU3 then it will work for EU4

though if you have any doubts

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It appears that I meet the recommended requirements for EUIV, and the minimum requirements for CKII.

Thanks for the link.

Maximus

I play both fairly frequently on a 4-year-old laptop with onboard video. I wouldn't recommend MP with it, but as long as you can pause frequently it works.

Zanza

I am also not sure if the video card is really the bottleneck. The games seem to draw a lot of processor power (usually one core at 100%) and need like 2 GB of memory.

Zanza

Continued my previous game with the Timurid Empire. Conquered/diplo-annexed some more and eventually became the Mughals. One of my goals was to block all eastward expansion of the Ottomans. That worked fairly well so far as they only got Cyprus in the East, however they expanded quite a bit into the Balkans. That keeps them quite busy fighting against various European countries though which allows me to consolidate my realm. Muscovy is another potential rival in Asia, but they've not even destroyed Novgorod 80 years into the game. :huh: 

I've tried to conquer as much as possible in India, but eventually you just run out of admin points. My claims will be good for another 10 years or so - not nearly enough to conquer all the rest of India. It sucks that the claim counter ticks down even when you have one of those 15 year truces they introduced.

Not really sure what to do next. I can obviously conquer the rest of India, but that will cost lots and lots of admin points that I don't really have. I just got another idea, so I consider to spend my diplo points on it and get Exploration. That's a bit strange for the Mughals I guess, but it would allow me to colonize down to South Africa, all of the Indian Ocean and Oceania. That would basically shut out the Europeans from Asia for good. It would also allow me to build two colonies in Siberia (if I conquer the Nogai provinces first), which would stop Russian expansion towards the Pacific.

My first idea group was Innovative (as you need either that or Economic or Administrative to reform your government). The prestige decay reduction together with the Mughal prestige bonus, +1 from Jerusalem and the Khalifa title basically makes sure that I constantly have 99 prestige. That's rather powerful.

dps

Quote from: Zanza on July 21, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
I am also not sure if the video card is really the bottleneck. The games seem to draw a lot of processor power (usually one core at 100%) and need like 2 GB of memory.

Well, that might be true in a lot of cases, but I've got plenty of processing power and 2 gigs of memory, but an older video card.

crazy canuck

Zanza,

I forget what version I played my Timurid -> Moghul game but I found it to be the easiest of any playthrough on Ironman.  I counquered all the way to South East Asia and all of the Ottomans.  In that version I couldn't move my capital to Constantinople to capture all that trade so I just left the game.  Now that you can move your home trading location rather than needing to move your capital it makes more sense and probably makes up for the longer truce times. 

Zanza

The Ottomans are very strong, but I'll probably attack them sometime later in the game. I already moved my trade capital to Bagdad, so I can grab the trade in the Persian node (where I forward from Aden/Basra and from Samarkand). Not getting anything out of Alexandria at the moment sucks obviously.

Zanza

About 120 years into my Timurid game. I was able to consolidate my Indian possessions a bit, but still have some remnants there left as well as my ally Jaunpur that I'll leave alone for now. I took the exploration and have started to settle Siberia and the Indian Ocean islands (so my realm now stretches from Bourbon to Siberia). I wasn't fast enough for the Cape and Spain got it. I am now starting to conquer the hordes north of me and will try to conquer as much there as possible before Muscovy gets strong enough to take them out.

I took innovative ideas and defensive ideas. The effects are that I am always at full prestige, very high military tradition and can research at least as fast as the Ottomans even if I can't compete with the very fastest Europeans. Once I fill the defensive idea group, I'll also have a total of -35% on land attrition.

The Ottomans took naval, religious and maritime as idea groups, which means that with Indian troops, excellent generals and defensive ideas I should be able to attack them soon. They are in a coalition with Nogai and the remnants of the Indian states though, which makes it necessary to fight an annoying multi-front war.

Syt

Paradox' latest in house MP, as posted on facebook:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Johan is Ming in that game. He started as Bohemia but got partitioned.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

chipwich

I could never imagine dealing with the stress level of an mp Paradox game.

Viking

Quote from: chipwich on August 03, 2014, 08:45:05 AM
I could never imagine dealing with the stress level of an mp Paradox game.

well CN's made being a colonial nation much more plausible.

Sophie Scholl

I just tried to play the American Dream scenario as Great Britain.  Wow.  That was incredibly awful.  I lost all desire to even attempt to play EUIV for a loooong time off of that short experience. :bleeding:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."