News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

From what I gather from the math here a lucky poland with an un-contested succession should usually result in a 6-6-6 monarch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Glad they finally balanced republics.  Noble Republics were way overpowered, because an election every 8 years meant you could keep leveling your ruler until he kicked the bucket for next to no price.

garbon

Patch notes are up. Hmmm...

QuoteTruce length now scales to the amount of warscore taken in the peace, from 5 years at white peace to 15 years at 100% warscore.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

The patch and the paid for expansion sounds like it will make the already very powerful merchant republics even more powerful. Centers of trade have become much more powerful and so have trade buildings. If you conquer just a few of these, you'll be able to totally dominate trade, which is by far the biggest source of income in the game.

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2014, 02:41:40 PM
The patch and the paid for expansion sounds like it will make the already very powerful merchant republics even more powerful. Centers of trade have become much more powerful and so have trade buildings. If you conquer just a few of these, you'll be able to totally dominate trade, which is by far the biggest source of income in the game.

This is gonna be soooo goood for my venice in the Trade of Kings Game. I already have Venice, Ferrara, Ragusa, Bessarabia, Kaffa, Azov, Aleppo, Alex, Rashid, Aden, Muscat, Zanzibar, Mombasa, Lower Sind and Kochin with deals in place for Ceylon, Bengal, Aceh, Malacca, Ayutthaya, Prey Nokor, Makassar, Macau, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Nanjing and Jinan.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2014, 02:41:40 PM

That sounds promising actually. 

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on July 10, 2014, 01:16:15 PM
From what I gather from the math here a lucky poland with an un-contested succession should usually result in a 6-6-6 monarch.
Not sure where you're getting that. The expected value of 2+d4 is 4.5. The probability of a 6-6-6 is 1/64 I believe, and that's assuming no contest.

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on July 16, 2014, 10:27:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 10, 2014, 01:16:15 PM
Not sure where you're getting that. The expected value of 2+d4 is 4.5. The probability of a 6-6-6 is 1/64 I believe, and that's assuming no contest.

I got my math wrong  :blush:

thought it was 2d4+2 not d4+2

Zanza

Res Publica is just five Euro. Nice. I wish they would add more such flavor packs that add some country-specific mechanics to various nations. That's what makes me revisit this game to see the new content in action once.

garbon

Johan, ever the PR person.

QuoteI don't give a **** about the AI in this issue.. Its a matter of problem for the players vs players..

1) there was no incentive to fight a war for less than 100% warscore gains.
2) there is no incentive to ever give up early in a war, since losses are not recovered quick enough.

ADMIN EDIT: for language

QuoteI am arrogant.. but I am tired of defending my design and getting attacked on the forums for design-decisions that WORK, and makes more and more people play the games.

...you need to have the game balanced as a true multiplayer game.. You want to have mechanics that work the same and then develop AI to work the same as humans. Else you can not develop a game with so many entities.

How the AI behaves is compeltely irrelevant until you have made the rules correct.

QuoteThe MP balance is relevant for the game to work as a "play any nation in a vibrant world". Explaining why its important to a bunch of players is a bit like trying to explain algebra to 3 year olds..

If we don't balance for the game being balanced and fun in MP, then you will get a FAR WORSE singleplayer game.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

They shouldnt give him access to the forums. If he gets so frustrated he shouldnt read the forums.

Drakken

Truth be told, some posters with their axes to grind are bordering harassment. They are NEVER happy, nothing except Paradox surrendering and changing the whole design of the game so they cater to their demands will ever please them. Each patch, each DLC, is a good reason for them to drive the whole place down the drain pipe with their vocal nagging, and what they do is that driving the developers further away from the forums.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on July 16, 2014, 03:51:09 PM
Truth be told, some posters with their axes to grind are bordering harassment. They are NEVER happy, nothing except Paradox surrendering and changing the whole design of the game so they cater to their demands will ever please them. Each patch, each DLC, is a good reason for them to drive the whole place down the drain pipe with their vocal nagging, and what they do is that driving the developers further away from the forums.

Well

1) P'dox staff should be well versed on that by now. They should stick the maxim of never post when angry.
2) Given that their moderation is pretty heavy handed, I'm always amazed how so much negativity is allowed to reign mostly unchecked (unless it drifts into name calling, cursing or other banned behavior). Seems at the least mods could start merging threads all whining about same thing or closing them saying that a thread already exists on the topic. (Not that I really enjoy their moderating style but hey if you have it, at least put it to good use).

crazy canuck

That is why Johan should never post.  He lacks the skill set necessary to deal with the community.  And the community will always include those sorts of posters. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2014, 04:12:07 PM

That is why Johan should never post.  He lacks the skill set necessary to deal with the community.  And the community will always include those sorts of posters. 

:yes: