And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on June 10, 2014, 11:13:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 10:47:52 AM
It seems so absurd to see Hansa as a massive state with an effective central government.

Not to mention that they went into decline around the time of the game start.

Imagine the reaction on the EU4 forum though if Hansa had some events that were painful to deal with if you moved to make it a centralized state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 11:00:00 AM
Maybe. I can only go for the Gulf of St. Lawrence node though as that's the only one that goes to the North Sea node which in turn feeds into Lübeck.

Doesn't the Chesapeake Bay and perhaps that Louisiana one have the option of feeding directly to St. Lawrence?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2014, 12:12:31 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 11:00:00 AM
Maybe. I can only go for the Gulf of St. Lawrence node though as that's the only one that goes to the North Sea node which in turn feeds into Lübeck.

Doesn't the Chesapeake Bay and perhaps that Louisiana one have the option of feeding directly to St. Lawrence?
Chesapeake Bay yes, not sure about Louisiana. Hudsons Bay goes to St Lawrence too. I'll try to win the colonial race, but I fear that Portugal will be so much faster. They took Exploration as first idea set, so it is hard for me to compete with trade... ;)

Anyway, I now know why the guy in the Youtube videos hit Denmark first. I was too late and they integrated Norway and are currently integrating Sweden. That will make them into a formidable foe for the next decades.

garbon

Yeah in my game Denmark is a large Scandinavian state. At one point Norway revolted in Orkneys and Iceland. :D  Finland now exists as Austria forced them to release.

Zanza

Is there a downside to being in a very long, low intensity (or rather no intensity) war? I declared on Novgorod with the intention to take Neva. However, before I could do that, Neva was freed. I am now at war with a land-locked Novgorod and can't really reach them.

The upside is that I can just annex countries in the HRE and core them as the Emperor never sends his demands to return the territory when you are at war...

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 12:20:13 PM
Anyway, I now know why the guy in the Youtube videos hit Denmark first. I was too late and they integrated Norway and are currently integrating Sweden. That will make them into a formidable foe for the next decades.

Yeah, in his game the Kalmar Union is already dissolved, because Denmark's prestige is so low. He had one caolition war, but being allied with Austria helped there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 01:11:36 PM
Is there a downside to being in a very long, low intensity (or rather no intensity) war? I declared on Novgorod with the intention to take Neva. However, before I could do that, Neva was freed. I am now at war with a land-locked Novgorod and can't really reach them.

The upside is that I can just annex countries in the HRE and core them as the Emperor never sends his demands to return the territory when you are at war...

Not really any downside but eventually you will white peace out iirc

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

Your war exhaustion won't be going down, and I guess other countries may judge you to be weak and attack.

Zanza

I wonder if it would be a good idea to annex Novgorod. On the one hand it would guarantee a high value trade flow into the Baltic (which is pulled by both me and Denmark to Lübeck). On the other hand it would give me the eternal enmity of Muscovy and I don't really fancy fighting land wars against them with The Hansa. I would do it as Sweden, Ottomans or Poland-Lithuania. But as The Hansa it seems to be a useless distraction. I guess I can pull just as much trade with light ships eventually...hmm.

Zanza

I did not take Novgorod. However, I consolidated my holdings in Northern Germany and the Baltics. I've got Brunswick as a vassal, but can't annex it right now as I need the diplomacy points to research tech level 9. I didn't know they had removed fleet basing rights increasing colonial range so now I can't actually reach North America before I get to diplomacy level 9. :(
Portugal and Spain have both started to settle Brazil, which I hope means that they'll leave North America alone for now. England hasn't taken Exploration yet.
I am currently allied to France and England, which is nice as it protects me (together with my HRE membership) from Denmark and they are so far removed that all my conquests in the East barely register for AE with them.

DGuller

Form Germany, that should keep you occupied for a while.

Zanza

Do I get the shitty German ideas if I do that?

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2014, 04:35:13 PM
Do I get the shitty German ideas if I do that?

no, you keep your own ideas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

What if I don't have any ideas? :weep:

garbon

What is the deal with privateers? Do you have to fight a war against sponsoring nation to get rid of them?