News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I played one game so far, and I like a lot of the changes.  I played as Sweden.  I like how the rivalry system forces you to butt heads with the powers that may seriously hurt you, rather than letting you take them on at the time of your choosing.  I also like the smoother progression of military technology, so no longer it's merely a race to tech 12, so that you can delete enemy units at 10-1 loss ratio.

Viking

France's strength derives from the immediate 100 PP when it takes it's cores from england and the fact that provence quickly becomes rivalable.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2014, 12:39:31 AM
France's strength derives from the immediate 100 PP when it takes it's cores from england and the fact that provence quickly becomes rivalable.

Ah gotcha. Well I definitely spoke to soon. France got a bit bigger after inheriting Burgundian provinces and then has made strides against Avignon and Champagne (which I had forced it to release). I'm hoping I can remove fairly large Provence as a rival soon and draw it into my anti-French orbit.  I'd be making moves against France now but it also gained Castile as an ally mean that if I go to war, I have to hope Austria intervenes quickly enough to downplay the effects that Castile has either against me (or my other allies Portugal and Aragon).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

So I had paused my game and alt-tabbed, 4 hours later I remembered I had a game going and went back to it. Turns out I didn't pause it. Over 40 years my very passive king had lost 8 provinces to France, all armies and the entire trade fleet, but had amassed 8000 gold.

I probably couldn't have done much better as Burgundy anyway. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jaron

Quote from: Liep on June 06, 2014, 04:21:54 PM
So I had paused my game and alt-tabbed, 4 hours later I remembered I had a game going and went back to it. Turns out I didn't pause it. Over 40 years my very passive king had lost 8 provinces to France, all armies and the entire trade fleet, but had amassed 8000 gold.

I probably couldn't have done much better as Burgundy anyway. :lol:

:XD:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

WTF, Henry VI just won't quit. His doddering ass is going on 64 years old...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And now his heir fell dead so I might have the War of the Roses afterwards. :weep:

edit: :weep:

Liep

I can't beat France. :( At least not as Burgundy. Anyone has any countries where I'm in a good position to kick their ass?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

In my game as England, it's 1520, and France just diplo-annexed Castile after a personal union.  :pinch:  Well, this may be one of those games that remain a challenge until 1821.

garbon

I've heard that happening several times with latest patch.

In my game (around 1619), Austria is now a monster having eaten most of France and the Netherlands. Only good thing is that they are my monster (for now...? :weep:).

Spain flipped out on me once we started sharing a border in Gascogne. When I just exited, a colonial war between my colony Newfoundland and Castilian Canada has erupted into all out war. Spain and its colonies vs. Great Britain (+ colonies), Portugal (+colonies) and Austria. I hope I can smash Spain. :ph34r:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2014, 10:12:07 AM
In my game as England, it's 1520, and France just diplo-annexed Castile after a personal union.  :pinch:  Well, this may be one of those games that remain a challenge until 1821.

Oh France and Castile buddying up is apparently a common problem with latest patch.

edit: And I couldn't even remember that I'd already wrote this. Rough!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2014, 08:10:17 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2014, 10:12:07 AM

Oh France and Castile buddying up is apparently a common problem with latest patch.

edit: And I couldn't even remember that I'd already wrote this. Rough!

Let's face it: you are getting old.

garbon

crazy canuck

I am having fun game with Venice.  Austria is happy to leave me alone (which iirc is a big change) and I am able to dominate trade in the Eastern Med.  My goal is to occupy some the provinces in Egypt so I can eventually build the Canal and get to the Orient through that route.