And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2014, 11:25:39 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 02:54:08 AM
So far there's little in this add on that would entice me to buy it. The religious addition and the canals are turning me off of it. It's like they're running out of ideas already.

yeah....I think i'm done with this game. It peaked with EU3. Time for something new

I am done with it but for different reasons.  I think EU4 started out well and had a lot of promise if they could only figure out a good system for dynamic trading routes.

Instead they have introduced mechanics the destroy the feel of the game for me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2014, 02:36:19 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 22, 2014, 06:10:24 PM
why would calvinism be associated with tolerance for heretics, anyway?

Because one of the three countries where it gained power was religiously tolerant before during and after calvinism. Switzerland and Scotland were not paragons of tolerance.
IDK.  The Commonwealth of England was Dissestablishmentarian, and the House of Hohenzollern was personally Calvinist but ran a Lutheran state without great difficulty.  I can't really think of another example of a major religious division between the faith of a major ruling house and its state. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on April 24, 2014, 11:47:32 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2014, 02:36:19 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 22, 2014, 06:10:24 PM
why would calvinism be associated with tolerance for heretics, anyway?

Because one of the three countries where it gained power was religiously tolerant before during and after calvinism. Switzerland and Scotland were not paragons of tolerance.
IDK.  The Commonwealth of England was Dissestablishmentarian, and the House of Hohenzollern was personally Calvinist but ran a Lutheran state without great difficulty.  I can't really think of another example of a major religious division between the faith of a major ruling house and its state.

So you're examples are The state that abolished christmas and a state that wasn't calvinist?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Cromwell also let the Jews back in. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on April 24, 2014, 01:29:51 PM

Ah, so the example of toerlance is letting people live in a country who aren't actually in the country yet, heavy discrimination against people who currently live there.  The great tolerance of the Cromwell is remember slightly differently in Ireland.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 02:14:14 PM
The great tolerance of the Cromwell is remember slightly differently in Ireland.

Well the Irish were rebels, that was not entirely religious persecution.

Anyway the Commonwealth of England was very short lived and never really stabilized.  Hard to say how things might have worked in the longterm.  Rather bizarre to use it as an example of good religious policy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on April 24, 2014, 01:29:51 PM
And tolerated the non-conformists like the Quakers. Also the war was kicked off by Charles I trying to impose religious uniformity on Scotland, which the Commonwealth didn't do. The French ambassador also pointed out that for English Catholics, who weren't connected with the Royal family, life was generally better under Cromwell than Charles I - who tolerated court Catholics but persecuted the rest aggressively.

Technically the Church of England is Reformed. Though admittedly 'catholic and reformed'.

QuoteWell the Irish were rebels, that was not entirely religious persecution.
It wasn't persecution. It was 17th century warfare. No different than what happened to towns and cities in Germany at the same time in similar circumstances.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 25, 2014, 01:44:49 PM
Also the war was kicked off by Charles I trying to impose religious uniformity on Scotland, which the Commonwealth didn't do.

Well that is because if there was a really bad policy to be implemented Charles I was completely dedicated to it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2014, 01:47:30 PM
Well that is because if there was a really bad policy to be implemented Charles I was completely dedicated to it.
Like being a monarch  :menace:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Man you are on Commonwealth fanboi :wub:

Pity they could never get a constitution to work.

garbon

I'm more a fan of Cromwell's posthumous execution.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2014, 02:35:04 PM
The great tolerance of the Cromwell is remember slightly differently in Ireland.

Anyway the Commonwealth of England was very short lived and never really stabilized.  Hard to say how things might have worked in the longterm.  Rather bizarre to use it as an example of good religious policy.

Wasn't Cromwell a rebel?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2014, 03:17:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2014, 02:35:04 PM

Wasn't Cromwell a rebel?

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Wasn't Cromwell a rebel?

Wow that is a strange question.  The King left town and raised an army, Parliament did not rise up in revolt.  Not sure who technically the rebel is there.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2014, 03:27:32 PM
Wasn't Cromwell a rebel?

Wow that is a strange question.  The King left town and raised an army, Parliament did not rise up in revolt.  Not sure who technically the rebel is there.

Actually it is pretty clear - those opposing the divinely appointed monarch. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.