News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2014, 09:26:19 AM
The next DLC about the trading companies will also let you build the canals at Kiel, Suez and Panama. :bleeding:

We are talking about Victoria II here right?  Because building one of those canals before 1800 is LOL unlikely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Suez was easily possible. Wasn't it done in ancient times?

Panama not so much. I don't know much about the construction of Kiel, but it doesn't seem that hard physically.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2014, 09:40:55 AM
The next DLC about the trading companies will also let you build the canals at Kiel, Suez and Panama. :bleeding:

We are talking about Victoria II here right?  Because building one of those canals before 1800 is LOL unlikely.

Suez probably wasnt built until later because there wouldnt be much point to building it until European powers could control it.

Syt

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2014, 11:51:39 AM
Suez was easily possible. Wasn't it done in ancient times?

It was a connection between the Nile and the Red Sea, IIRC, and therefore for ships and boats that could navigate the Nile. Not 19th century tall ships.

I don't mind if they do silly alt-hist expansions, like the Sunset Invasion. It's one feature that you can switch off if you like. But mixing it in with a DLC that's supposed to add detail and historicity (at least on paper)? Unless those canals are super rare, only available at highest tech level and cost, like, 50k gold.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2014, 11:54:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2014, 09:40:55 AM

Suez probably wasnt built until later because there wouldnt be much point to building it until European powers could control it.

The Ottomans spent a lot of time and money trying to build it, I think.

Maximus

Quote from: Solmyr on April 11, 2014, 12:44:42 PM

Also the Don-Volga canal (which exists in 867 in CK2 iirc)

crazy canuck

I didnt know that.  When did they give it a go?

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2014, 01:09:29 PM

Can't find it now, but I remember reading something about it as a possible project in The Ottoman Age of Exploration by Giancarlo Casale. IIRC, in the late 16th century, during the competition with the Portuguese in the Indian Ocean.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2014, 12:52:49 PM
Also the Don-Volga canal (which exists in 867 in CK2 iirc)

Nah that was a 'portage' as in you pick of your boats and walk to the other river.  The canal was attempted a few times but not successfully built until the Soviet era I believe.

But anyway we are not talking about connecting rivers, that was indeed done in ancient times, we are talking about the Panama, Kiel, and Suez canals.  Even if I accept the Suez could have been done there is no freaking way the Kiel or Panama canals could have been made in that era.  Panama was basically impossible without throwing many lives and fortune away even when it was built.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Why would you build the Suez or Panama canal without dynamic trade routing...?

The Kiel canal was mainly a military project, but if you have enough ships to compete in EUIV, you can just take the extra few days to sail them around Denmark.

Zanza

By the way, the predecessor of the Kiel Canal, the Eider Canal was built in 1784, so it fits into the EU IV timeframe.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2014, 02:47:34 PM
By the way, the predecessor of the Kiel Canal, the Eider Canal was built in 1784, so it fits into the EU IV timeframe.

Barely.  And does the option to build one with 20 years or so to go really impact the game that much? 

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on April 11, 2014, 01:43:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2014, 01:09:29 PM

Can't find it now, but I remember reading something about it as a possible project in The Ottoman Age of Exploration by Giancarlo Casale. IIRC, in the late 16th century, during the competition with the Portuguese in the Indian Ocean.

There was talk about it though I'm not sure they ever did anything as far as connection to Red Sea. It's what inspired the action in VQ.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2014, 02:43:33 PM
Why would you build the Suez or Panama canal without dynamic trade routing...?

The Kiel canal was mainly a military project, but if you have enough ships to compete in EUIV, you can just take the extra few days to sail them around Denmark.

I assume it will be a boost to trade power.  So the Suez could potentially take all trade destined for going around S. Africa.