News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I don't really have a problem with the new SP rule. I only have a problem with people answering with MP when the discussion is clearly in a SP context. The rest of us doesn't really care for how different the game is in MP.

Solmyr

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on January 15, 2014, 01:28:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 14, 2014, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2014, 06:31:54 PM
I think vassal feeding was one of the biggest fucking exploits. They pretty much eliminated it, apparently, with this patch.

Is there a QQ thread on Paradox about this? You bet.

In the primi3 game I just forcefully vassalized player scotland. Feeding him isn't a problem, he even accepts wrong culture non-adjecent provinces :)

Sooner or later that will lead to an interesting war with France or Spain.
Anyway I like the new WE node.At least there will be real trade wars from now on.To control the WE nod you must have the most ships.I am sure time after time there will be wars between the colonial powers where the wargoal will be to destroy the enemy trade fleet.

I don't know. I am preparing contingencies for this. Mainly I'm trying to give the scotland player something to do. If I have him conquering the huron and creek or even teh aztecs then he'll be busy. If he sits on his butt doing nothing being annoyed that I'm taking the bulk of his surplus he will start plotting.

As for the WE. I will be trading with heavy ships, I suspect EVERYBODY will be trading with heavy ships and admirals. It's possible there might be some sort of agreement; for example, england and holland agree to embargo spain. Spain, having a defensive deal with portugal must decide if he is to act or not.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on January 15, 2014, 04:22:05 PM

As for the WE. I will be trading with heavy ships, I suspect EVERYBODY will be trading with heavy ships and admirals. It's possible there might be some sort of agreement; for example, england and holland agree to embargo spain. Spain, having a defensive deal with portugal must decide if he is to act or not.

I think the WE node might trigger clusterfuck deathmatches that will put even Quake to shame. Which is not a good thing, by the way.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on January 15, 2014, 05:05:00 PM
You can trade with heavy ships?

You can trade with any fleet that includes light ships. That fleet can include many heavy ships.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on January 15, 2014, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Anatron on January 15, 2014, 01:28:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 14, 2014, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2014, 06:31:54 PM
I think vassal feeding was one of the biggest fucking exploits. They pretty much eliminated it, apparently, with this patch.

Is there a QQ thread on Paradox about this? You bet.

In the primi3 game I just forcefully vassalized player scotland. Feeding him isn't a problem, he even accepts wrong culture non-adjecent provinces :)

Sooner or later that will lead to an interesting war with France or Spain.
Anyway I like the new WE node.At least there will be real trade wars from now on.To control the WE nod you must have the most ships.I am sure time after time there will be wars between the colonial powers where the wargoal will be to destroy the enemy trade fleet.

I don't know. I am preparing contingencies for this. Mainly I'm trying to give the scotland player something to do. If I have him conquering the huron and creek or even teh aztecs then he'll be busy. If he sits on his butt doing nothing being annoyed that I'm taking the bulk of his surplus he will start plotting.

Dont forget Morocco,I am natural rival of Spain.I also did some diplomacy mine work against Spain already so the Portugal player dont trust Spain from now on. :)

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on January 16, 2014, 01:52:39 AM

Dont forget Morocco,I am natural rival of Spain.I also did some diplomacy mine work against Spain already so the Portugal player dont trust Spain from now on. :)

I'm pretty sure you did some preliminary anti-spain diplomacy with england and france.

Tamas

I didn`t play 1.3 too much so this might have been there since then, but it was nice to see my first couple of sugar-producing provinces (as Portugal) selling for some serious profit compared to basic price of sugar. It used to be that only worthwile new world trade good was grain.

My random new world has a "bump" reaching out east near west Africa almost exactly like historical Brasil, so not much change there in Portugese strategy. :D
My initial intention to turn Mauritinian Coast into my own trade collecting central has been hindered by AI Spain colonizing there faster, and supposedly being big in upgrading trade buildings, as even my protectorate Mali could not grant me superiority there without light ships. So I will try to collect at Brazil (kind of weird that I am competing with my own colonial nation btw), and South Africa for the Asian trade, and see if the AI will mind in time.

Viking

My issues - so far

1. Cardinals, colonies no longer contribute to my cardinals.
2. Indians, annex 5 provinces worth, get a colonial minor, WHICH, will give you colonization range.
3. Protectorated do not give colonial range.
4. New trade/colony system gives heavily reduced income, colonial minors do contribute to wars though.
5. Colonial minors don't convert to my religion, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it apart from adding provinces of the right religion and hoping for conversion/religious revolt.
6. Indians need 3 tiers not 2. 1 for migrating, cannot be annexed, merely force-moved. 2 for confederation, cannot be annexed, only protectorated or dissolved (reduced to migrating). 3 for civilized, can be annexed and protectorated.
7. Waypointing for explorers needs to come back, or better, have an "explore" button on exploreres where the captain of the ship takes the initiative to return home alive.

My main gripe is that it is fitting and historical that conquering the aztecs creates new spain, it isn't fitting that conquering the iroquois creates 13 colonies, I'm doing it in the 1470s ffs. And, bang, for 200 adm (the cost of recouping the 2 stab hits) I'm getting range across the atlantic if I conquer a coastal tribe too.

Tamas

yeah that sounds very lame but the NA Indians have meant easy mode since EU3.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2014, 08:05:23 AM
yeah that sounds very lame but the NA Indians have meant easy mode since EU3.

If they simply added only accepted culture provinces to the colonial minors it would be fine.

Another good feature would be connecting crown colonies to overextention. When you have 4 per region you don't get any, when you get a 5th you get oe, with oe expanding exponentially per colony. You then add the colonies to the colonial minor.

I'd like protectorates to be able to grant trading range and colonizing range.. in some manner, possibly only their own?

Queequeg

How do you convert colonial provinces in the new system?  What's the point of having Spain's 3 missionaries? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on January 16, 2014, 11:58:08 AM
How do you convert colonial provinces in the new system?  What's the point of having Spain's 3 missionaries?

aren't you supposed to be playing as Georgia?  :huh:

:P