Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on November 23, 2013, 05:55:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: Anatron on November 23, 2013, 01:41:00 PM
Also the difference between the regular and mercenary troops are huge on the battlefield.
It is?  I thought that if your troops had the same type, the only difference was the cost.

Nope.The mercenary troops are stronger then the normal ones.

No, combat wise a mercenary gustavian is identical to a regular gustavian. The only real difference is the manpower and how it is used to re-enforce the regiments.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

So i bought this in the Steam sale, but the new trade system confuses me.Can anyone explain it in nutshell?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

This is probably a good summary - though does get lengthy. :D

http://eu4wiki.com/Trade
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2013, 07:01:49 PM
So i bought this in the Steam sale, but the new trade system confuses me.Can anyone explain it in nutshell?

Collect trade in home node, steer trade towards it with merchants and protect those with light ships.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Malaaca, Indus and Cape are your friends
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

I don't understand the whole upstream and dwonstream thing.

What does this mean:

Merchants have two possible missions, both of which they will remain engaged
in until recalled. The first mission is collecting money directly from a Node, which
can only be done at Nodes you own a province in. Without a Merchant present, a
Node will send Trade Power downstream, you will not collect any trade income from
the Node. The second mission is Transfer Trade Power, which increases the flow of
money downstream and boosts your trade power upstream.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

JonasSalk

Yuman

Josephus

Made my first mistake.

Spent money on "strategy guide" from itunes bookstore.

It's a fucking aar. I never have patience for that shit.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on November 25, 2013, 06:39:28 PM
Made my first mistake.

Oh dear. You didn't buy one of those paradox books listed on their website?

Just the covers an titles screamed ripoff.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 25, 2013, 06:42:07 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 25, 2013, 06:39:28 PM
Made my first mistake.

Oh dear. You didn't buy one of those paradox books listed on their website?

Just the covers an titles screamed ripoff.

Meh. Targeted at the same people who like collecting Steam trading cards.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I just wanted a strategy guide :( Their last few (free ones) [Eu3, Vickie II)] have been pretty good. I thought this was an official guide. Bah.

Did I mention it's a fucking aar

I mean it looks like a strategy guide

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/books/eu4

Civis Romanus Sum

garbon

Ugh just looked at sample on Amazon. It even inside near start says it is but then hops into that narrative. Sucks, man.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2013, 10:04:20 PM

What does this mean:

in until recalled. The first mission is collecting money directly from a Node, which
Node will send Trade Power downstream, you will not collect any trade income from
the Node. The second mission is Transfer Trade Power, which increases the flow of

Downstream means the trade is being sent in the direction of the arrows.  If there are multiple arrows going downstream from a given node then, if you have no merchant in that node, whatever trade power you have in the node will be apportioned to each of the downstream streams.  If you have a Merchant in the node you can select which "stream" you which to select and so all of your trade power will be concentrated in that stream.

Think of the Node at Oman.  As a Euro trader you would want all of your trading power in that node to direct trade toward South Africa rather than up to Egypt.

If there is only one stream leaving the node you do not need to have a merchant in that node directing your trading power because there is no choice to make.

Clear as mud?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2013, 12:39:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2013, 10:04:20 PM

What does this mean:

Downstream means the trade is being sent in the direction of the arrows.  If there are multiple arrows going downstream from a given node then, if you have no merchant in that node, whatever trade power you have in the node will be apportioned to each of the downstream streams.  If you have a Merchant in the node you can select which "stream" you which to select and so all of your trade power will be concentrated in that stream.

Think of the Node at Oman.  As a Euro trader you would want all of your trading power in that node to direct trade toward South Africa rather than up to Egypt.

If there is only one stream leaving the node you do not need to have a merchant in that node directing your trading power because there is no choice to make.

Clear as mud?

Okay - so I'm playing as Scotland.  I am in the North Sea trade node.  There are inflows from North America (obscured) and the Barents sea (out of range).  Outflows are to London and somewhere else.

I have two merchants.  I put one in the North Sea trade node, but what do I do with the other one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 12:50:37 PM
I have two merchants.  I put one in the North Sea trade node, but what do I do with the other one?

There is a reason Scotland is not known as a great trading nation :P

There isnt much to do with the other merchant until you can direct trade to the node you are collecting from.