News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Doing a Reformed England (eventually Commonwealth) playthrough, Hard-Hard because I was afraid I'd get bored not having to constantly defend borders.  Formed UK by 1510, throne went from Edward V Lancaster to Jane I de Valois, went Reformed 1520, the moment I leave a pretty vicious period of prolonged civil war I get a PU with France, me leading.  Not totally sure how I can break it while keeping them in the dynasty.  I have another Edward coming up with near-perfect Stats and the British-French juggernaut will basically be able to do anything.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Alcibiades

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2013, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 19, 2013, 11:33:44 AM
When did I do that?  :rolleyes:
One quick example is when Alci played France, and you played Spain.  France needed to be contained to keep the game balanced, and Brandenburg/Austria/Italy were willing to do that on the other side of it, but after one lost war you basically gave up on that and played for second place.
QuoteAnd you are painting a far grimmer picture about our MP games than I recall. I recall people having fun, even if PvP wasn't always perfectly balanced and even if someone went off to conquer places elsewhere on the map. Do we really need some rigid victory conditions and perfect balance to enjoy ourselves?
No question that we did have some fun, in some games more than others, but at the same time the fun was limited by those factors.

In his defense he joined mid-war when I was stalemated against the Pyrenees against you.....which resulted in me shifting in and demolishing all of his armies within 3 months and nobody launched an offensive against me in that time.

So I understand his frustration in that game. 

Not all of us have siblings to latch on to every game, instead.  ;)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Anatron

Wow,the current battle system is really a shit.
The year is 1713 and my ally fighting with the nemy since a year now!!!!
1 sinlge battle takes a year!!!

Queequeg

I once had a battle that lasted for like 6 months.  It was deadlocked at near-zero morale.  I had to have a sieging army break off and finish it.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on October 23, 2013, 10:20:47 AM
Wow,the current battle system is really a shit.
The year is 1713 and my ally fighting with the nemy since a year now!!!!
1 sinlge battle takes a year!!!

That usually happens in mountains where the armies are large enough and the attacking side has good enough leadership that little damage is done and the frontage of 8 regiments means that not enough damage is done. Rotating in and out used up regiments means that these huge battles at little to no frontage can last forever.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Is it me or does the Workshop for EU4 work poorly? Only about half of my subscribed mods show up.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on October 25, 2013, 08:07:13 AM
Is it me or does the Workshop for EU4 work poorly? Only about half of my subscribed mods show up.

some are not compatible with steam - read the descriptions to identify those.  There is also an odd delay before they show up after subscribing - but eventually they make it onto the list.

Zanza

Started playing a game as England. I gave France Calais and my claim on Armagnac to get out of the Hundred Years War. Took the mission to vassalize Scotland and did that. Conquered Ireland. By then France had depleted its manpower in a war against Burgundy and had annexed five provinces from Burgundy. So I got into a coalition against them with Switzerland and together with my ally Austria we decimated what was left of France. They fought against another coalition of Savoy, Provence, Lorraine, Milan, Venice etc. at the same time. I took their cores on my territories and Picardie and Calais back and ended their vassalization of Orleans and Bourbonais. The other coalition freed Guyenne. France is just engaged in a defensive war against Burgundy which has attacked their ally Liege. And in the meantime I got the mission to vassalize France...
I guess I'll need to free a couple of the French duchies first to cut them to a size which allows vassalization, but if I fight another two or three wars and then gain France as a vassal, it's basically game over. I can just feed them all their cores and then annex them. All of that doesn't even give me aggressive expansion. It will hurt my colonial aspirations, but I'll gladly trade a couple of colonies for France.

In hindsight I shouldn't have taken their cores on my territory, but I didn't plan to stay engaged in the continent and figured that without cores they would go for other targets first.

Queequeg

Goddamnit Ladislaus. I want the Hunyadis.

Anatron

Quote from: Queequeg on October 29, 2013, 11:26:45 AM
Goddamnit Ladislaus. I want the Hunyadis.

Dont accept royal marriages till you dont have Mathias Corvinus.that increases your chance to have Hunyadi dynastie.

Anyway 1.3 is out.

Queequeg

Oh God damn it.  I married the Hapsburgs when I got Corvinus, but now my heir is Anna von Hapsburg.  I can't even get her killed on the fucking battlefield!   

Queequeg

Razgovory

You deserve it for all the mean things you said about the Haps.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Anatron

Quote from: Queequeg on October 29, 2013, 02:16:22 PM
Oh God damn it.  I married the Hapsburgs when I got Corvinus, but now my heir is Anna von Hapsburg.  I can't even get her killed on the fucking battlefield!
There is an event for Hungary around 1453~1457.If you have any royal marriage during this time you will have Habsburg heir after Janos's regency will be over.If not you can choose Mathias Corvinus as heir.If you miss the chance till 1457 you have 0 chance to have Hunyadi ruler again.You better restart the game.

"
# Mattias Corvinus or an Habsburg king
country_event = {
   id = flavor_hun.2
   title = flavor_hun.2.t
   desc = flavor_hun.2.d
   picture = ELECTION_REPUBLICAN_eventPicture

fire_only_once = yes

trigger = {
      tag = HUN
      is_year = 1450
      NOT = { is_year = 1457 }
      has_heir = no
      has_regency = no
      dynasty = "von Habsburg"
      NOT = { num_of_unions = 1 }
      any_country = {
         dynasty = "von Habsburg"
      }
   }

mean_time_to_happen = {
      months = 1
   }

option = {
      ai_chance = { factor = 75 }
      name = flavor_hun.2.a
      define_heir = {
         name = "Mátyás"
         dynasty = "Hunyadi"
         adm = 4
         dip = 5
         mil = 5
         claim = 25
         birth_date = 1443.2.23
      }
      kill_ruler = yes"

Viking

what's the effect of the hunyadi ruler? apart from magyar pride
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.