And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2013, 11:18:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 15, 2013, 11:12:53 PM
Same could apply to Prussia as well.  Was Brandeburg destined to be the state that united Germany, or was it just a lucky blobber?
the Calvinist immigrants that were the foundation of the economy.
That could be an event though. If you are fairly tolerant based on your national ideas/decisions, you might get an economic boost if a neighboring country selects to purge heretics.

Zanza

I played my Ottoman Empire game up to 1556 now and conquered and vassal-annexed a lot of land so that my empire now includes starter nations like Muscat, Ethiopia, Golden Horde and Tunis. I have twice the force limit and manpower of the next best country (France) and three times the amount of provinces of the next biggest country (Denmark, inherited all of Scandinavia). I could go for the Unify Islam decision or try to get the Sultan of Rum achievement but it seems like a tedious grind after I basically made sure that I am invincible. The last time a coalition war was declared against me half the coalition members didn't even join (Austria, Hungary, Aragon etc.) so I could roflstomp the idiots that did attack me.

Anatron

Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2013, 12:05:55 PM
I played my Ottoman Empire game up to 1556 now and conquered and vassal-annexed a lot of land so that my empire now includes starter nations like Muscat, Ethiopia, Golden Horde and Tunis. I have twice the force limit and manpower of the next best country (France) and three times the amount of provinces of the next biggest country (Denmark, inherited all of Scandinavia). I could go for the Unify Islam decision or try to get the Sultan of Rum achievement but it seems like a tedious grind after I basically made sure that I am invincible. The last time a coalition war was declared against me half the coalition members didn't even join (Austria, Hungary, Aragon etc.) so I could roflstomp the idiots that did attack me.

Thats why I say Ottos need nerf.In Eu3 it was a challenge to survive the crusades of the europian powers.Now it seems to me playing as Ottos is like a God mode.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Anatron on October 16, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

Thats why I say Ottos need nerf.In Eu3 it was a challenge to survive the crusades of the europian powers.Now it seems to me playing as Ottos is like a God mode.

The main problem is that the central European powers spend too much time fighting eachother instead of the Turk.  Its not that the Ottos are OP, its that the Hungarians and Poles are hard wired not to act historically.

Anatron

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2013, 12:41:36 PM
Quote from: Anatron on October 16, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

The main problem is that the central European powers spend too much time fighting eachother instead of the Turk.  Its not that the Ottos are OP, its that the Hungarians and Poles are hard wired not to act historically.

i dont think so.I rather say the austrians are who dont act historicaly.They just dont want to go for Hungary and the Balkans.Mainly becouse in EU 4 its not a big deal even as an Emperor to conquer within the Empire.So becouse of this and becouse Hungary is poor and has 200% core increasement its simple not worth for Austria attacking Hungary.Same for the Ottos.Becouse they not fighting for Hungary and the Balkans both can grow faster what makes the game unbalanced.

I also dont like this Poland-Lithuania PU. 1399 was better start in EU3 than this 1444 at EU4.

Maybe there should be a decision for Both the Ottos and Austria to capture the enenmy captial.For a huge bonus for the winner ofc.That could be a motivation for an Otto-Austrian never ending wars.

Zanza

The Balkans aren't really attractive for the Ottomans though. Poor, non-accepted culture, wrong religion provinces where you can't route trade and in Hungary's case have that huge coring penalty. So the Balkans are the only area where I didn't advance beyond the historical Ottoman boundaries in my game. There is simply no point in conquering Serbia or Hungary. Just brings you closer to the bigger boys in Europe which drives up AE and you gain much more from conquering in the general direction of India as you can at least route trade from there and it is much easier to conquer and convert the areas there.

Once the Ottomans reach a certain size, you can just diplo-vassalize everybody in the Muslim world. In my game I got Tripoli, Tunesia, Crimea, Hedjaz, Nejd, Yemen, Adal, Oman, Golden Horde all as diplo-vassals and annexed all of them.

Anatron

Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2013, 02:13:39 PM
The Balkans aren't really attractive for the Ottomans though. Poor, non-accepted culture, wrong religion provinces where you can't route trade and in Hungary's case have that huge coring penalty. So the Balkans are the only area where I didn't advance beyond the historical Ottoman boundaries in my game. There is simply no point in conquering Serbia or Hungary. Just brings you closer to the bigger boys in Europe which drives up AE and you gain much more from conquering in the general direction of India as you can at least route trade from there and it is much easier to conquer and convert the areas there.

Thats the problem with this game.Becouse in real History Ottomans attacked Hungary to get closer to Austria.Their long term goal was to destroy the Habsburg dynasty.Thats why they lead campaigns against Wien.

Zanza

Yeah, it's certainly more attractive for Austria to try to unite the Empire and for the Ottomans to rival the Mughals than it is for either to fight each other as there is really nothing to gain for either of them.

You can even make the Ottomans into a powerful trade empire by going South-East. I have conquered all provinces in the Aden node and have a ridiculously high fleet limit, so I can spam it with light ships too. If the Europeans ever go to East Asia, all their trade will be forwarded to me. Right now I have like twice the trade income of France or Denmark, which are the second biggest traders.

I think my next game will be Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany. That should at least be a bit of a challenge.

Anatron

Quote from: Zanza on October 16, 2013, 02:35:07 PM
Yeah, it's certainly more attractive for Austria to try to unite the Empire and for the Ottomans to rival the Mughals than it is for either to fight each other as there is really nothing to gain for either of them.

You can even make the Ottomans into a powerful trade empire by going South-East. I have conquered all provinces in the Aden node and have a ridiculously high fleet limit, so I can spam it with light ships too. If the Europeans ever go to East Asia, all their trade will be forwarded to me. Right now I have like twice the trade income of France or Denmark, which are the second biggest traders.

I think my next game will be Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany. That should at least be a bit of a challenge.

Try Genoa,thats a challenge too at the first 50 years.

Queequeg

I actually really like Brandenburg, that discipline bonus is fucking wonderful, and you can actually get a pretty great trade and production income.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Anatron

Quote from: Queequeg on October 17, 2013, 01:27:20 PM
I actually really like Brandenburg, that discipline bonus is fucking wonderful, and you can actually get a pretty great trade and production income.

The moral bonus and the general what matters.The defensive ideas together with the innovative makes you unstoppable in battlefield.

Zanza

I actually started a game with Brandenburg. Got an alliance with Poland and Austria and used them to attack the Teutonic Order. Got Neumark and Danzig from them in the first war. Afterwards Poland hated me, probably for taking Danzig. I had in the meantime fabricated a claim on Pommerania and used the Austrian doomstacks to conquered that too and force-vassalize them. After that the northern HRE hated me, but I just waited a few year, joining, but not really fighting several wars to build up trust. I eventually annexed Pommerania and got Magdeburg as a vassal from a mission. So it's 25 years into the game and I already grew from 3 to 8 provinces and tripled my basetax. Bohemia, the Hansa and Denmark are doing fairly well, but I guess I'll eventually ask my stalwart Austrian bully-friends to destroy them. The alliance with Austria and their huge manpower is really key.

Anatron

Dont play multyplayer on paradox forum guys.They are cheaters.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?724466-Midweek-MP-Game/page6

"So our host KlosterKatten was infact cheating as I thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:   2013-10-17_00002.jpg
Views:   15
Size:   630.0 KB
ID:   93424

Here's a screenshot from the save file I took when I noticed things were strange. If you check the original host file he has 1700 admin, 1900 diplo and 1200 mil points. He also gave himself thousands of gold and 260k manpower, while he said he only had 7k manpower in game. Notice the 3 full idea trees while still being equal on tech."

Viking

I'm not sure which offends me more, the fact of the cheating or the obvious nature of the cheating.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

QuoteA black list naming cheaters is unthinkable, as it would stir confrontational arguments.

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien