And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2013, 11:13:31 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 11, 2013, 11:05:08 AM
I guess there was certainly room to do better. As I read, the effective offensive fighting force of the A-H army melted away in 1914. Any offensive they did they needed German help.

Losing almost all your trained NCOs and low level officers will do that.

I actually have a good opinion on the A-H army, apart from the fact that they completely fucked 1914 up. They had to work with what they had left after that, and with a multinational force, with downright unreliable units, they fought hard, and the core (Austrians and Hungarians) held out until it was possible. They were literally starving and being sent on a "whatever, we will try the impossible" offensive before they broke.

Habbaku

Viking/Anatron, could you provide a link to follow along with your MP game, please?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on October 11, 2013, 12:18:33 PM
Viking/Anatron, could you provide a link to follow along with your MP game, please?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?725254-A-Question-of-Initiative-a-Saturday-game-(12-00-16-00-CEST)

the saturday game, I am castille and he is hungary

in the tuesday game, he subbed muscovy and am ottomans
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 11, 2013, 10:21:10 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 05, 2013, 07:43:01 AM
Quote from: Anatron on October 05, 2013, 04:38:09 AM
It was also Franz-Joseph who is responsible to leading the Habsburg empire to colllapse.He was a man of the old times, and was not open minded for the new ideas.He refused to improve the austrian military for example.So during the I world war his enemies used new weapons and tactics in the battlefield austria still fought with old weapons and tactics.

Given, as an example, that the Austrians had the best heavy artillery (the type for crushing fortresses) of all the Major Powers that's news to me.

In fact, what stands out clearly from 1914 is exactly how close Austria's warplan on the Russian Front came to succeeding (despite Conrad's repeated fumblings and total misuse of his "swing group".) Much closer than France's or Russia's - or even, arguably, Germany's. That's not a sign of a backwards military.
I've never really studied the Austrian front. If someone other than Conrad had been in charge, what were their chances?

On s stategic level, it wouldn't have been hard to do better.   You'd just need to have enough sense to realize that you would have to fight both Russia and Serbia, and put in effect the plan for war with both, instead of waffling between that and the plan for war with just Serbia. 

Valmy

Quote from: dps on October 12, 2013, 01:31:38 AM
On s stategic level, it wouldn't have been hard to do better.   You'd just need to have enough sense to realize that you would have to fight both Russia and Serbia, and put in effect the plan for war with both, instead of waffling between that and the plan for war with just Serbia. 

Yeah so in the end Austria-Hungary was fighting the most important campaign in centuries and the entire Second Army played no part.  Just disastrous strategic blunder by Conrad.  Once it was clear Russia was going to be fighting they needed to have just a skeleton force to watch the Serbs while the real battle was being fought in the Ukraine/Galicia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I just read that MP thread.  WTF is Albania there for?  It seems like it adds nothing to the game, and provokes multiple interventions by the game host.  IMO, the Albanian player should just GTFO and pick some other country.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 12, 2013, 04:40:41 PM
I just read that MP thread.  WTF is Albania there for?  It seems like it adds nothing to the game, and provokes multiple interventions by the game host.  IMO, the Albanian player should just GTFO and pick some other country.

I had the exact same thought.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

You don't know the half of it. His steam user name in the first session

ALBANIAN CLAY WINS THE DAY

yes, in all caps, it hurts my eyes, the ottoman has been funding him with thousands of ducats and in his war for tunis he was running 22k mercs with force limit of 9. Apparently he wants to colonize and thinks coring berber cultur tunis is the first good step in that process. Anatron can tell you people how my partner portugal reacted to hungarian colonization efforts.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2013, 01:40:12 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 11, 2013, 12:18:33 PM

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?725254-A-Question-of-Initiative-a-Saturday-game-(12-00-16-00-CEST)

the saturday game, I am castille and he is hungary

in the tuesday game, he subbed muscovy and am ottomans

On thursday game I play as Burgundy too.

Good players are always welcome.There are too many idiots in paradox forum at the moment.

Anatron

Quote from: DGuller on October 12, 2013, 04:40:41 PM

Yeah.thats the reason i am planning to leave the saturday game.Its just a joke.Fisrt they let that troll guy to choose Albania.
Then Albania allied with Ottomans and conquered some balkan  states using ottoman army.(becouse of the albanian and ottoman players are irl friends...)
Plus The Ottos are allied with The Mamluks too!!!!

This kind of game what i dont want to take part.

But the thursday game looks better.

Zanza

What is the Ottoman player doing if his friends are Mamluks and Albania/Balkan? That takes two of the main directions of expansion out of the game...

Anatron

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2013, 11:44:42 AM
What is the Ottoman player doing if his friends are Mamluks and Albania/Balkan? That takes two of the main directions of expansion out of the game...

He still can go to India to create the Ottomughal Empire .:D

Solmyr

Anatron

Quote from: Solmyr on October 13, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
That game sounds fucked up.

Agree,thats why I am planning to leave it.

jimmy olsen

Have the initial balancing issues been adequately addressed yet?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point