Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatron

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2013, 12:39:12 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2013, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: Anatron on September 30, 2013, 12:25:48 PM
Well then that scenario was wrong becouse he recieved the emperor title at 1433.
Anyway what was this Kingdom of Romans?A small group in Italy?Or germans who called themself Romans?I have no idea who they were.
King of the Romans was the official title of the German king.

Sigismund can't really be considered a foreigner though. His father and great-grandfather were Holy Roman Emperors and he himself was margrave and elector of Brandenburg when he was elected as King of the Romans.

Ah I was not aware of the Brandenburg thing.  I thought he was just King of Hungary.  I was trying to think of somebody elected Emperor who held no lands inside the Emperor and he was the only one I could think of.

Originally he was a german prince and an elector.He become King of Hungary by marrying  Maria the current Queen of Hungary.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2013, 12:39:12 PM
  I was trying to think of somebody elected Emperor who held no lands inside the Emperor and he was the only one I could think of.
Richard Platagenet and Alfonso de Castille in 1257. Both elected by rival groups, but neither held any real authority in the empire. Other than that Karl V is probably the closest you'll get to a non-German being emperor. Or Napoleon as ruler of the Confederation of the Rhine, which basically replaced the old German kingdom.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2013, 04:11:56 PM
No it's not, because how is Spain supposed to get to Mexico in anything close to the historical timeframe then? :hmm:

I havent really played since the major patch but now that the Aztecs dont count toward overextention you no longer have to worry about not being within range.  You just need to discover them and then conquer them.  Or am I missing something?

Queequeg

I don't get the Serb hatred.  Besides the 90s they've been on the right side of just about every regional conflict of the last 900 years and were major cavalry innovators, and pretty regularly put up an impressive fight against far greater enemies-Ottomans, Nazis or Hapsburgs. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on October 03, 2013, 02:57:48 PM
I don't get the Serb hatred.  Besides the 90s...

They got it pretty wrong in the 90s

Viking

I don't get the Serb hatred.  Besides the 90s they've been on the right side of just about every regional conflict of the last 900 years and were major cavalry innovators, and pretty regularly put up an impressive fight against far greater enemies-Ottomans, Nazis or Hapsburgs.

For a country that managed not to appear on any maps for most of that period I suspect that "right side" = "losing side".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

The Hapsburgs weren't the "Wrong side".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2013, 07:13:22 PM

The Hapsburgs weren't the "Wrong side".
Starting World War I and being the worst power involved in The Thirty Year's War make you about as close to being outright villainy as you can get before Totalitarianism.

And Viking, Serbs were only nation completely occupied by Nazis to effectively liberate itself, and one of the few to do it agains Ottomans without outside help. It's an impressive record for a small nation with limited resources and insecure borders.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on October 03, 2013, 10:16:08 PM
Starting World War I and being the worst power involved in The Thirty Year's War make you about as close to being outright villainy as you can get before Totalitarianism.

:huh:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

I don't think they played a positive role in Balkan or Eastern European history and what they did they did perfidiously. What's so hard to understand about that?

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on October 03, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

For a country that managed not to appear on any maps for most of that period I suspect that "right side" = "losing side".
Balkan nations that have been on the map for most of last 800 years:
Turkey. Kind of.

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on October 04, 2013, 01:37:13 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 03, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Balkan nations that have been on the map for most of last 800 years:
Turkey. Kind of.

The same would apply to them too. Serbia is sort of the poster child for the nation being on the losing side.

And BTW, our present Serbia hate comes from them murdering women and children in the name of greater serbia. Their enemies may have wished to return the favor, but they never really got the chance to conduct mass murder, mass rape, open concentration camps and coin the term ethnic cleansing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on October 04, 2013, 01:34:01 AM
I don't think they played a positive role in Balkan or Eastern European history and what they did they did perfidiously. What's so hard to understand about that?

It's not hard to understand, you are simply wrong.

Austrian Habsburgs were one of the most open-minded and pragmatic dynasties in European history when it concerned nationality, religion and their national rights. Most of their ruling scions, including Ferdinand of Styria albeit to a much lesser degree, understood that too much intransigence would lead to losing it all. They also had the tangent benefit of keeping Bohemia, Hungary, and Austria from killing each other in endless wars, as they would probably have been if these had had different dynasties on their thrones.

It really went downhill with the 1848 Revolution, but even then Franz-Joseph was later very keen to compromise with the natonalities inside his Empire because he understood that giving a few inches was better than losing a mile.