News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 10:26:32 AM
Actually all it has really made me want to do is have the option to select hunter-killer for my own armies. Then I'd just let it be free to chase after that retreating army.

Yup.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on September 24, 2013, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2013, 10:26:32 AM
Actually all it has really made me want to do is have the option to select hunter-killer for my own armies. Then I'd just let it be free to chase after that retreating army.

Yup.

Yeah in SP, hasn't really made it that much more difficult more than it just made it a bit tedious.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Pretty sure you only get cards at 1444 start.

I have Bengal, Ceylon, and Malacca.  How do I maximize trade income? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 12:00:36 PM
"Funny patch. Made peace with the enemy. And vassalized them. Big mistake. The game thinks I am the overlord of the enemy now, and now I am helping my new vassal to fight...myself. (Well as a matter of fact, I am not at war with myself, but I am at war with my old alliance which isn't as bad, but still could be considered a bug.) "

Tell me it isn`t so. :bleeding:

Actually true. In the game just started we had denmark fighting austria. Denmark vassalized oldenburg and suddenly found itself at war with itself in a war under war leader austria against itself.

At first we thought norway and sweden had declared independence... but noo.. bug.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 05:04:54 PM
"Funny patch. Made peace with the enemy. And vassalized them. Big mistake. The game thinks I am the overlord of the enemy now, and now I am helping my new vassal to fight...myself. (Well as a matter of fact, I am not at war with myself, but I am at war with my old alliance which isn't as bad, but still could be considered a bug.) "

Actually true. In the game just started we had denmark fighting austria. Denmark vassalized oldenburg and suddenly found itself at war with itself in a war under war leader austria against itself.

At first we thought norway and sweden had declared independence... but noo.. bug.

Sounds like they got a little too ambitious with their change log. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

I actually thought about exactly that scenario when I saw the change log.  If I attack a country as part of alliance and vassalize it, then wouldn't I get into a war with my alliance once I vassalize the war target?

"Hey, guys, my loyal friends, help me vassalize Holstein.  :unsure:"
"Sure thing.  :)"
*bam* *bam*
"You monsters!  :mad: You attacked Holstein, my subject nation.  You're going to pay for that.  :mad:"

I kind of assumed that there is a mechanic to prevent that.  What does it mean to be at war with yourself anyway?  Do your armies split and fight each other, and then the winners split and fight each other some more?

Caliga

I demand full annexation of myself! :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

I'm looking forward to playing a game as Granada now.  Hooray for new idea trees! :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2013, 05:24:05 PM

I kind of assumed that there is a mechanic to prevent that.  What does it mean to be at war with yourself anyway?  Do your armies split and fight each other, and then the winners split and fight each other some more?

It's an unforseen consequence of the new feature where you always go to war with people at war with your vassal. To fix the problem where Country A and Country B are at war with C. A vassalizes C and then B annexes C. Nothing A can do about it. So now the idea is that automatically A joins C's wars. I seems that this is a problem when the war continues after the vasslization. e.g.

A is fighting B and C. B leads the alliance. A vassalizes C in a separate peace. A joins C's war against A. The fix might be as simple as moving the sequence in which links and wars are started and ended.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

Quote from: Viking on September 25, 2013, 03:50:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2013, 05:24:05 PM

It's an unforseen consequence of the new feature where you always go to war with people at war with your vassal. To fix the problem where Country A and Country B are at war with C. A vassalizes C and then B annexes C. Nothing A can do about it. So now the idea is that automatically A joins C's wars. I seems that this is a problem when the war continues after the vasslization. e.g.

A is fighting B and C. B leads the alliance. A vassalizes C in a separate peace. A joins C's war against A. The fix might be as simple as moving the sequence in which links and wars are started and ended.

Simple or not, I'm still baffled on why Paradox hasn't even uttered an official comment on this particular bug. The window for a quick hotfix today dwindles steadily, and quite a few people are vocal about their dislike of the patch.

garbon

I wonder what the fix is. It has long seemed an issue to me that if you make a separate peace and take a nation as a vassal that you are forced to just watch your allies eat it alive (and sometimes just annex it outright) with no recourse.  And generally you have to separate peace it as there is virtually no chance otherwise to get that state as a vassal in a wider alliance peace.

crazy canuck

Why oh why did I forget to flag this game not to autoupdate patches  :(

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 25, 2013, 11:35:48 AM
Why oh why did I forget to flag this game not to autoupdate patches  :(

well there are some crucial balancing fixes in there, it is just annoying that this vassal thing not only looks fugly but also I imagine fucks with the AI.

crazy canuck

Meh, a lot of the balance fixes were already in the mods I use.  Now I have to wait for some mods to fix this version.

DGuller

Why can't you just peace the vassal out with everyone when it gets force-vassalized?  Or, just have the vassal join the master's war rather than having the master join the vassal's war?  Seems like two obvious fixes to me.