News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on September 23, 2013, 10:43:16 PM
I bet you someone would literally claim that Bosnian women in Serb rape camps were not oppressed, because Bosnians are white.

I don't know. That assumes they know what Bosnia is. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Fireblade on September 23, 2013, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 23, 2013, 10:34:28 PM
Well, that's sort of fair. White people aren't oppressed. :huh:

Lol, it's hilarious when I see people start talking about "White Privilege" when anyone with more than a cursory knowledge of history can name a hundred white ethnic groups who were oppressed at one point or another.

I bet you someone would literally claim that Bosnian women in Serb rape camps were not oppressed, because Bosnians are white.

White people had so much privilege in 1600s Germany, which was a good thing considering that they didn't have food, potable water, or houses that weren't on fire.

I was kind of hoping that in EU4 I could finally just murder my religious enemies.  "I won the 30YW, why are there still Protestants?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Anatron

Quote from: Fireblade on September 23, 2013, 10:11:38 PM
http://gamemoir.com/2013/09/23/europa-universalis-iv-is-the-best-genocide-simulator-of-the-year/

I like how the author was perfectly fine with attrition killing 55k people, conquering Venice, and (presumably) culture-converting a bunch of provinces, but as soon as she played a colonial country he freaked out about imaginary genocide.

"My first reaction is, then why are the Native American "states" that are in the game so underdeveloped? Surely they could have put in some more content for those factions, even if they couldn't get enough information to avoid "empty" tiles."

Because it would be slow as shit with a bunch of stone-age hunter-gatherer tribes scattered around the map?

"I've seen gamers who are people of color say they really want to enjoy a game like this, but they can't because it's attitude towards colonialism is so off putting."

I'm.. sorry that history happened?

Her point would actually pretty valid if she was arguing about West Africa. The Portuguese got their asses handed to them when they tried to do slave raids. Conquering Mali, Benin, or Kongo was absolutely out of the question. Hell, the Obas of Benin dictated trade terms to the Portuguese. Also, the Africans were more or less on technological parity with the Europeans until 1600 or so, and something like 8 out of every 10 Europeans who went to Africa before quinine died within three years.

People who write things like "I dont like Indians get killled by white people" forget about this a game  tries to follow history even its in some cases its ahistorical and history is written with blood.

The reason why white people killed so many not whites becouse we evolved faster then others (it happened because of the constant wars in Europe,plus the plagues in the middle age.)

In opposite case the none whites would enslave us.The mankind still following its beast inside of it, even people likes to call themself "civilized".Tolerance for other races lives, till you have enough food /water (internet :D ) for you and your family. In earlier centuries it was natural economcial boost to conquer less advanced nations.Who dont like this, dont play historcal games or dont play any games.

Anatron

Anyway,as the new patch soon come out can we start MP games now?

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on September 24, 2013, 04:01:17 AM

Patch expected at 3 PM CET, I'm playing France at 7 PM CET. I need to find out what (if anything) happened to the shatter rules. BEFORE going to war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I am one of the whitest people in the world. I can prove it too. However my country was colonized for 700 years and our only experience of the slavery (after abolishing slavery in the year 1000) was having people sold into slavery in Africa by Barbary Pirates. Our colonial masters didn't even bother to build roads or railways. What is described as "white privilege" is actually the result of a thousand years of making good choices, hard work and taking responsibility. The way for oppressed minorities to deal with this is to either adopt "white" values or get on with making the good choices, doing the hard work and taking the responsibility to build a successful culture from scratch.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 04:31:41 AM

Patch expected at 3 PM CET, I'm playing France at 7 PM CET. I need to find out what (if anything) happened to the shatter rules. BEFORE going to war.

Cant wait for MP.Getting bored with singleplayer.

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on September 24, 2013, 06:08:30 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 04:31:41 AM

Cant wait for MP.Getting bored with singleplayer.

Spain, Mughals and England need players in that game.

Edit: if anybody else is interested it is the Primi, Pauci et Intrepidi game in Paradox. Be warned I am France and Slargos is Morocco.

Viking

Viking

Apparently the bug fix is that when losing a battle surrounded by enemy territory, you autowipe. As opposed to withdrawing 1 proivince as before. Extra power to LOC!!!!

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 07:33:15 AM
Apparently the bug fix is that when losing a battle surrounded by enemy territory, you autowipe. As opposed to withdrawing 1 proivince as before. Extra power to LOC!!!!

I guess conquered enemy territory is friendly territory in this case? Because if so, I like it!

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 07:47:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 07:33:15 AM

I guess conquered enemy territory is friendly territory in this case? Because if so, I like it!

I haven't had that issue be relevant yet, but I assume so...

Tamas

I do wonder if the AI Hunter stacks will be aware of this or not.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 04:51:10 AM

I am one of the whitest people in the world. I can prove it too. However my country was colonized for 700 years and our only experience of the slavery (after abolishing slavery in the year 1000) was having people sold into slavery in Africa by Barbary Pirates. Our colonial masters didn't even bother to build roads or railways. What is described as "white privilege" is actually the result of a thousand years of making good choices, hard work and taking responsibility. The way for oppressed minorities to deal with this is to either adopt "white" values or get on with making the good choices, doing the hard work and taking the responsibility to build a successful culture from scratch.

:mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 07:17:12 AM
patch is up
FUCK, like two minutes after I checked before I left for work. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points