News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:huh:

The amount of diplo relations allowed has nothing to do with amount of diplo points (i.e. good monarch). Only thing is that with good monarch (and/or good advisor) - the malus doesn't seem as bad for going over as you still have extra points you'll accumulate.

Yes, ideas are the main way to increase it.  I think limiting diplo relations makes sense given the way that alliances are now envisioned.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Why does it mention monarch diplo skill when you mouse over diplo-points then?
██████
██████
██████

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2013, 08:33:12 PM
:huh:

The amount of diplo relations allowed has nothing to do with amount of diplo points (i.e. good monarch). Only thing is that with good monarch (and/or good advisor) - the malus doesn't seem as bad for going over as you still have extra points you'll accumulate.

Yes, ideas are the main way to increase it.  I think limiting diplo relations makes sense given the way that alliances are now envisioned.

Except that this limitation severely hamper diplomatic options, as it ensures that Royal Marriages will only be done with people you have at least an alliance with. You have four possible relations, so it's best to maximise it with vassal, PUs, and full alliances/RMs. If an AI country reaches its diplomatic relation limit it will refuse any and all offers, even for a Royal Marriage, regardless of the circumstances.

Also, besides the -50 opinion penalty, being a Rival gives a -130 negative modifier to the AI on weighting the pros and cons of diplomaric offers. This has the unfortunate consequence  that self-interested alliances of two Rivals against a common, more powerful enemy, based on the premise that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, are never considered by the AI.

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on September 16, 2013, 10:54:12 PM
Why does it mention monarch diplo skill when you mouse over diplo-points then?

The amount of diplomatic limit has nothing to do with the monarch's skill or DIP points.

At base, you can have treaties with 4 countries, regardless of any skill. If you go beyond that without the right ideas it will cost you 1 DIP point malus per additional relation. Hence if you have a very skilled monarch you can afford to go slightly beyond that limit for -1 or -2 DIP points, yet still gain a DIP surplus.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on September 16, 2013, 10:58:39 PM
If an AI country reaches its diplomatic relation limit it will refuse any and all offers, even for a Royal Marriage, regardless of the circumstances.

I'll agree this part is unfortunate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

SHIT YEAH FRENCH REGENCY FOR 2 YEAR OLD KING!!!!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on September 14, 2013, 07:12:06 AM
:cool:
I was playing last night and after I cored my colony at Cumana I suspended colonizing efforts at some other shitty places along the South American coast so I could colonize Barbados, Jamaica, and Havana.  Then a few months later I noticed my monthly income had dropped from around +9 to -60 due to having too many colonies. :frusty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Shit diplo points are valuable and hard to come by. You need them for naval tech so you can colonise as well as lots of other things. I guess the  best tactic is to try and ignore all other nations as much as possible. :s
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I don't understand that mechanic either.  I occasionally get things saying they increased by one, but I don't understand what I did to 'earn' that increase nor what impact on the game it actually has.

I also sometimes hear random trumpet fanfares but get no message telling me what caused them.  It's like I have a trumpeter standing next to my throne trying to keep me from dozing off or something.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2013, 06:53:30 AM
I was playing last night and after I cored my colony at Cumana I suspended colonizing efforts at some other shitty places along the South American coast so I could colonize Barbados, Jamaica, and Havana.  Then a few months later I noticed my monthly income had dropped from around +9 to -60 due to having too many colonies. :frusty:

If you're playing Spain and pick the right ideas, you can have significant positive growth at 0% colonial maintenance.  The full explanation is at the link below, but since I can never tell if those are publicly viewable or not:

1) -50 growth per year for 0% colonial maintenance;
2) +33 growth per year for "Land of Opportunity" in the Exploration group;
3) +25 growth per year after filling out the Castilian/Spanish idea group;
4) +5 growth for a decision that only requires 4 colonies;
=
+13 growth with 0% funding, and then random events and missions will put you over the top with +100 colonists in a province here and there.  You do have to keep your colonies garrisoned slightly though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564497&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=127#post419377506

Caliga

Thanks.  I did notice that I can reduce my colonial maintenance via a slider, which is the first thing I'm planning on doing the next time I play.  I have the Land of Opportunity idea already.

I also have a 3,000 man army with a conquistador in the New World that I've been using to stragetically wipe out natives at places I want to plant colonies where the natives are too aggressive.  I sent this army into the Yucatan and while I 'discovered' it, I can't just attack it for some reason.  I thought the Spanish and Portuguese could attack the native states with impunity? :hmm:  I mean, I can DoW the Aztecs but would have to take a -2 stability hit for no CB per usual.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2013, 09:41:06 AM
Thanks.  I did notice that I can reduce my colonial maintenance via a slider, which is the first thing I'm planning on doing the next time I play.  I have the Land of Opportunity idea already.

I also have a 3,000 man army with a conquistador in the New World that I've been using to stragetically wipe out natives at places I want to plant colonies where the natives are too aggressive.  I sent this army into the Yucatan and while I 'discovered' it, I can't just attack it for some reason.  I thought the Spanish and Portuguese could attack the native states with impunity? :hmm:  I mean, I can DoW the Aztecs but would have to take a -2 stability hit for no CB per usual.

There is an Idea that lets you go all Spanish on them. OR an idea group bonus, can`t remember.

Caliga

:wacko:

It's lame I need an Idea for that.  Here's an idea: Spain is greedy and the Aztecs are 'evil' due to killing babies.  Therefore, I need to civilize them. :)

garbon

The idea also gives you CBs on a lot of pagans (I believe Incas, everyone in NA and some of the West African states like Congo).

Alternative route is to plan colony near Aztecs. Then you'll be able to fabricate claim, get it via mission, or just wait for inevitable border friction event.

Anatron

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2013, 09:45:45 AM
:wacko:

It's lame I need an Idea for that.  Here's an idea: Spain is greedy and the Aztecs are 'evil' due to killing babies.  Therefore, I need to civilize them. :)

You can attack them any time,just pay -2 stability point .Thats all. :)