News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Spain just joined in the war.  France and Spain against the Netherlands, a pan-North German Reformed Hansa and...my vassal Liege. 

YOU KNOW WHAT FUCK IT.  BURN THE FUCKING PAPISTS.  WE'LL BE EATING FUCKING PICKLED FISH IN FUCKING PARIS.  FUCK YOU ALL. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Anyone else realize that Forcing Religion on a large empire is probably the easiest way to see it collapse?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on September 11, 2013, 02:11:00 AM
Anyone else realize that Forcing Religion on a large empire is probably the easiest way to see it collapse?

Yes, the AI doesn't realize that the submitting to the first zealots that rise is probably a good idea.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Dutch Republic's marriage laws mean that the last family from the transition to Republicanism is the family for the rest of the game, meaning that whenever anyone from my royal house gets a job elsewhere it's de Bourbon, and I seem to have permanent RM with France.

I actually love idea of a union of Hugenot Bourbon and Orange families. Seems......plausible even? I hope in further DLCs we start to see population movements, so that say may Australian, New Zeeland, Africa and West Coast holdings start picking up Hugenots. In Magna Mundi every Dutch city had Jewish community.

Sophie Scholl

How big of a drop-off is it if you don't do "lucky nations" for something remotely plausible?  I'm rather sick of every Ottoman ruler and general being incredibly closed to maxed out.  It annoys the shit out of me that their all infantry armies routinely come close to destroying my balanced, much larger, more technologically advanced, and equivalent number of infantry armies due to their godly generals.  Also, what are the odds on killing an opposing general or ruler/general when you go through the effort of hunting down and wiping out their army?  I'm sick of facing their 5/6/4/2 ruler at the head of every army they bring forth.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Anatron

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 11, 2013, 04:13:44 AM
How big of a drop-off is it if you don't do "lucky nations" for something remotely plausible?  I'm rather sick of every Ottoman ruler and general being incredibly closed to maxed out.  It annoys the shit out of me that their all infantry armies routinely come close to destroying my balanced, much larger, more technologically advanced, and equivalent number of infantry armies due to their godly generals.  Also, what are the odds on killing an opposing general or ruler/general when you go through the effort of hunting down and wiping out their army?  I'm sick of facing their 5/6/4/2 ruler at the head of every army they bring forth.

Agree,this is annoying.Especially if you play a nation like Mughals with 0/2/0 sultans ...
And if a miracle happens once in every century and you have a heir like 4/3/4 a hunting accident happens and the heir dies ...

Tamas

You still managed to conquer everything in sight with the Mughals though, didn`t you? :D

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on September 11, 2013, 07:02:17 AM
You still managed to conquer everything in sight with the Mughals though, didn`t you? :D

Yeah,all provinces of India was fallen till 1630.

I am on the way push out Ottomans from Asia.Algiers removed my PU so I have to force them again under my rule,but before that Tripoli has to die too.
I have now Egypt, all provinces of Aden-Persia-Basra too,and just conquered Judea and some province near to it.

The year is 1748 at the moment, so I hope still have time to put the Mughal flag on Constantinapole.
The Chritians dont like me now I think,because as I push the Ottmans out from Asia they started massive invasion against the christian world. :)

I have to say playing as Mughal is much easier as it was in EU3.In  multy it can easily become a major rival for Ottomans or Russia.

garbon

Mughals seem mad easy. Right now (I think 1533ish), I've very little real threats. Ottomans are still slowly attack Mamluks and so we only share a border at one province, still have relatively positive relations with me. I'm even getting hit now with ahead of time penalities on techs. I continue to put nothing towards trade but 10 lightships and near Basra and yet I still have one of the highest trade incomes (still in top 10).

Really seems like a mistake to allow Mughals to form after blitzing Delhi which allows you to escape all the negatives the Tims had. You can than guarantee that Persia doesn't form, or if it does, only forms in a small non-threatening way.

One thing I don't get is the claims you are given when you form the Mughals. Given that the game encourages you to conquer lands slowly (so as not to suffer too much from overextension and incompatible culture/religious provinces), I found that I used very few of those initially granted claims before they expired. Most of my expansion has come from fabricating claims, gaining them from boundary disputes (which happen all the time), or missions to capture specific provinces.

I think I still don't have a handle on some of the economy stuff as I had one month (after fighting several battles vs. Vijayanagar) where I was losing 21 ducats but next month that had dropped to -2d even though my army still had a lot of reinforcing to do (and I had an abundant amount of manpower).  Similarly, at one point during a war my income spiked at 19d.  Not sure where that's coming from.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 07:56:38 AM
One thing I don't get is the claims you are given when you form the Mughals. Given that the game encourages you to conquer lands slowly (so as not to suffer too much from overextension and incompatible culture/religious provinces), I found that I used very few of those initially granted claims before they expired. Most of my expansion has come from fabricating claims, gaining them from boundary disputes (which happen all the time), or missions to capture specific provinces.

There is a nice mod called claims to core mod to deal with this problem.

However, when using it, I ended up conquering all of the Indian subcontinent fairly easily.  Its now 1600, I have conquered all of India, most of the spice islands and half of Indo-China.  I also have a PU with the Ottomans which I will start integrating into my glorious realm in about 5 years.  After that I will make Constantinople my new capital and start forwarding all trade from the East to there.

I think this is the easiest nation in the game.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 10:01:55 AM

How does that work though? From the description sounds like they are cores - so you don't suffer overextension when taking those provinces as the Mughals - and thus can take things quicker.

That seems off to me as the expansion should still be "onerous" - I just would like the claims to last a bit longer given that they cover most of the Indian provinces. (I got a million popups when they expired...)

I think this is the easiest nation in the game.

Which is really weird when you think about it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 12:03:32 PM

How does that work though? From the description sounds like they are cores - so you don't suffer overextension when taking those provinces as the Mughals - and thus can take things quicker.

That seems off to me as the expansion should still be "onerous" - I just would like the claims to last a bit longer given that they cover most of the Indian provinces. (I got a million popups when they expired...)

Agreed, but there doesnt seem to be a mod or mechanic available to extend a claim and so this seems to be the next best thing.  It does turn all claims into cores.  Only those claims you recieve from a coded event like when the Timurids become Mughals or the HRE event. 

One thing I not really like is the coring mechanism in the game.  I understand why they made coring so difficult in order to avoid world wide empires but it seems clumsy to me, especially since people are now just gaming the system by annexing vassals instead.  There is another mod I am trying which reduces the penalty time for coring.  It has the right feel to me.  I think the right balance would be to have a unversal cost and time penalty based on all cores owned but with the penality being mainly reflected in Adm points rather than huge time penalties.

garbon

I wonder if overextension should kick in so quickly like it does with the first non-core acuried. Seems like it'd make more sense to allow you to have a few (perhaps scalable on size of nation) provinces that are not cores without acquiring overextension. Downside being that they wouldn't be effective as your cored provinces.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2013, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 12:03:32 PM

Agreed, but there doesnt seem to be a mod or mechanic available to extend a claim and so this seems to be the next best thing.  It does turn all claims into cores.  Only those claims you recieve from a coded event like when the Timurids become Mughals or the HRE event. 

I see what you are saying but yeah, that's where I think it is the least justified as all of India isn't really core Mughal territory until you've fought tooth and claw for it.

Btw, is there something that tells you how long the claims/cbs last? Did I just miss seeing it in a hover over tool tip?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 12:29:40 PM
I wonder if overextension should kick in so quickly like it does with the first non-core acuried. Seems like it'd make more sense to allow you to have a few (perhaps scalable on size of nation) provinces that are not cores without acquiring overextension. Downside being that they wouldn't be effective as your cored provinces.

Yeah, I like that idea too.