News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Anatron on September 04, 2013, 08:35:06 AM
What is not a massive army compaired with the 163 000 soldier what Mathias Rex has in Hungary in that time...

I call BS.  No way did Hungary have a standing army anywhere near that size in the 15th century.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Anatron

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2013, 09:18:13 AM
Quote from: Anatron on September 04, 2013, 08:35:06 AM
What is not a massive army compaired with the 163 000 soldier what Mathias Rex has in Hungary in that time...

I call BS.  No way did Hungary have a standing army anywhere near that size in the 15th century.

Matthias Corvinus

King of Hungary and Croatia

Reign   20 January 1458 – 6 April 1490

King of Bohemia

1469–1490

Duke of Austria

1486–1490

The Minsky Moment

I'm not disputing his titles, just the claim that he maintained a 100,000 man plus standing army.
It's possible he could have mustered a force of that size for a single campaign, if levies, allies, and auxiliaries are all included.  But not a regular, paid standing army. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Anatron

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2013, 09:37:22 AM
I'm not disputing his titles, just the claim that he maintained a 100,000 man plus standing army.
It's possible he could have mustered a force of that size for a single campaign, if levies, allies, and auxiliaries are all included.  But not a regular, paid standing army.

I am talking about the size of his total army.From this 70 000 was hungarian+mercenaries together.The rest came from vassals or states with Personal Union (Austria,Bohemia).

crazy canuck

Played the Ottomans.  Did my best to ignore everything going on in Europe and concentrated on acquiring provinces to dominate the Alexandria and Aden trade nodes.  There is a very nice event which triggers giving the Ottomans a claim on all Mamaluk territory.  Once that is all captured and Crete is taken from Venice the game seems to change to easy mode.   from there it is relatively straight forward to move into all the Aden trading provinces.   After dominating the Aden node I was taking in over 100 gold per month in trading alone.

I am not sure how any of the European powers could break an Ottoman hold on the Indian trade route in an MP game at that point.  I stopped playing when I had over 30k in gold with not a lot to spend it on.

garbon

I've found that gold is sort of odd as I've lots available to spend as Portugal but without the accompanying monarch points, it just sort of piles up.

It's also been too easy to avoid wars. Spain, my close ally, drags me into things on the continent often, but I've found that most of the time I can just accept and then ignore the war with no ill consequences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Anatron

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2013, 01:05:03 PM
I've found that gold is sort of odd as I've lots available to spend as Portugal but without the accompanying monarch points, it just sort of piles up.

It's also been too easy to avoid wars. Spain, my close ally, drags me into things on the continent often, but I've found that most of the time I can just accept and then ignore the war with no ill consequences.

Try Hungary,its  a fucking hardcore game.

I had an alliance with Poland then decided to force Bavaria under a personal union.I managed it,then Poland broke the alliance and attacked me.
He had Lithuania ,Moldavia and the Teutonic order together about 50k army with a lot of horseman.

I had Bohamia as ally ,Serbai and Bosnia as vassals together about 35 k army.it took 2 years and 800 gold spent on mercenaries to defeat the barbarian polish horde.
Finally managed to hit them to the ground and took Krakow from them.But 800 gold  lost :-/

Now I am weakened but at least has Bavaria under my PU.I hope the Ottomans will not seek the opportunity to attack me now,I have 0 manpower and almost empty treasure ...

But you are right, Portugal is for beginners.Its not a challenge to colonize the world and defeat less advantaged nations in Asia or in the Americas.

garbon

Quote from: Anatron on September 04, 2013, 03:33:36 PM

I've no doubt. The game is much harder if you actually are bordered by people who want to fight you. Not good balance though if a nation like Portugal can just keep going up and up (despite having monarchs like 2/0/0 :rolleyes:).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

One thing is that is really beginning to annoy me is the bug that randomly resets the direction my merchants are directing trade

Anatron

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2013, 03:36:38 PM

I've no doubt. The game is much harder if you actually are bordered by people who want to fight you. Not good balance though if a nation like Portugal can just keep going up and up (despite having monarchs like 2/0/0 :rolleyes:).

Also in the mediavals Poland and Hungary was best friend as nations (never fought war against eachother ).Now in the game Poland is the worst enemy for Hungary.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2013, 03:38:30 PM
One thing is that is really beginning to annoy me is the bug that randomly resets the direction my merchants are directing trade
It doesn't do it randomly.  It does it very reliably when you annex someone.

garbon

That was interesting. England and Spain decided to fight a succession war over me (Portugal). I sided with England as I knew there was no chance of me breaking away from Spain at a later point. Spain got us to 11% peace score and then decided that Portugal wasn't worth - what with all the rebellions I had springing up in Mexico and the Far East. :blush:

Tamas

Quote from: Anatron on September 04, 2013, 03:39:23 PM

Also in the mediavals Poland and Hungary was best friend as nations (never fought war against eachother ).Now in the game Poland is the worst enemy for Hungary.

they did have their occasional wars

garbon

Hmm, I had a random event pop-up with regards to taxes that gave me an option of a) 100 ducats and +10% national tax income for x years or b) 92 ducats.  Something I believe went wrong with the scaling. :D

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2013, 01:56:31 AM
Quote from: Anatron on September 04, 2013, 03:39:23 PM

they did have their occasional wars

but everybody had occasional wars back then, even with their friends
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.