News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2013, 10:21:30 AM
I think I am going to restart my Russia game and try to only take take provinces that are war goals and try not to fabricate any titles.  I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for various coalitions against me to disband and I wonder if I would have made faster progress if I had used this strategy instead.

Take the diplomacy and religion ideas. Once you complete both trees you can go gangbusters. If you can manage annex/release/integrate do so, but I don't think there are enough tags out east. The other big problem is the high warscore cost of the provinces, this is why you need holy war for the annexation. If you can release anybody, do that, since you get the cores on integration. As you go east just sell the provinces to your growing tatar culture vassal. Once you have all tatar provinces integrate and move on to the next culture group. You really have to maximize this since there is no way in hell that russia can expand using events without facing a permanent coalition. Vassalize when you can.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KwangTiger

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2013, 03:31:28 AM
Quote from: KwangTiger on August 27, 2013, 07:52:36 PM
Seems like people in this thread like it but any consensus on whether the game is worth it now or is it still wait a few months for patches + mods + whatever? Was big into Eu2 back in the day and even thought V:R was OK once all was said and done but haven't really Paradoxed since.

Who the fuck are you?

Sorry you haven't noticed by my .008 posts per day bro

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2013, 03:31:28 AM
Quote from: KwangTiger on August 27, 2013, 07:52:36 PM
Seems like people in this thread like it but any consensus on whether the game is worth it now or is it still wait a few months for patches + mods + whatever? Was big into Eu2 back in the day and even thought V:R was OK once all was said and done but haven't really Paradoxed since.

Who the fuck are you?

KT is an old-timer from Paradox.  He was never a prolific poster and has been gone for some time, but he was around since '03.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Just got an event where I could pick my heir's first name: Alexander, Caesar or Johan (each with a different skill set). I picked Johan to be the next king of Portugal (5/6/1). :)

Queequeg

Why would anyone waste resources on converting Tatar provinces when they become accepted by the early 16th Century? Save it for Uralic and Siberian.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

So I think the real key for playing Netherlands is to demand money from the Spanish in a peace deal. Gets rid of loans, rebuild fleet, building up infrastructure in non-claimed Flemish provinces...
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on August 28, 2013, 04:32:25 PM
So I think the real key for playing Netherlands is to demand money from the Spanish in a peace deal. Gets rid of loans, rebuild fleet, building up infrastructure in non-claimed Flemish provinces...

The real key is either to dominate london, lubeck or bordeaux defeating the oppositions fleet AND home provinces. Another option is to go dominate the Aden-Alexandria-Genoa path. Annexing Egypt, that is the only way for the dutch to go if they can't destroy england, france or denmark/germany

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Wait, so trade is maximally effective if you connect the transferred trade to you home CoT?  How the hell do I go from Hanghzhao to Antwerp?

Anatron

Quote from: Queequeg on August 29, 2013, 01:47:54 AM
Wait, so trade is maximally effective if you connect the transferred trade to you home CoT?  How the hell do I go from Hanghzhao to Antwerp?

With a lots of traders & around 1200 light ships.

Hangzhou->Malacca->Ceylon->Socotra->Ivory Coast->Caribbean->Cheaspeake Bay->North Sea->Antwerpen

Mainly you ned to steer trade at Malacca,Caribbean,Cheaspeake Bay and North Sea.
Ceylon,Socotra trade routes will managed by England,France,Spain and Protugals.
England and France will help you steer the trade to Carbbean from Ivory Coast, possibly Spain too.

So you must have traders at North Sea ,Caribbean.Must colonize provinces around Manhattan.The most important Cot will be Manhattan for you.At North Sea you have to argue with England mainly.

If you want rule this trade route you will have the following enemies: England,France,Spain,Portugals. :D

Viking

North sea exists to lubeck and london, NOT antwerpen.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on August 29, 2013, 05:49:49 AM
North sea exists to lubeck and london, NOT antwerpen.

Then he has to send another merchant to Lübeck.

Solmyr

Or you can send Chesapeake to Bordeaux and from there to Antwerp.

Viking

Though, as holland you might want to to California->Nippon->Hangzhou->Malacca->Bengal->Ceylon->Aden->Alexandria->Genoa->Antwerp and avoid the congested trade centers at Sevilla, Bordeaux, London, Chesapeake and Caribbean altogether.

You can colonize California. Nippon and Hangzhou can be controlled from a few coastal trade centers, malacca, bengal, ceylon and aden are all 100% conquerable (or you can just take the trade centers and estuaries), especially if you skip exploration and go for expansion.. relying on the natural spread of exploration. You can dominate alexandria by taking alexandria, rashid and aleppo and you can dominate genoa by taking liguria, provence, barcelona and valencia.

The 7 ports in the med are probably hardest, but with +233% naval force limits you should be able to dominate the med from islands.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on August 29, 2013, 06:03:17 AM
Though, as holland you might want to to California->Nippon->Hangzhou->Malacca->Bengal->Ceylon->Aden->Alexandria->Genoa->Antwerp and avoid the congested trade centers at Sevilla, Bordeaux, London, Chesapeake and Caribbean altogether.

You can colonize California. Nippon and Hangzhou can be controlled from a few coastal trade centers, malacca, bengal, ceylon and aden are all 100% conquerable (or you can just take the trade centers and estuaries), especially if you skip exploration and go for expansion.. relying on the natural spread of exploration. You can dominate alexandria by taking alexandria, rashid and aleppo and you can dominate genoa by taking liguria, provence, barcelona and valencia.

The 7 ports in the med are probably hardest, but with +233% naval force limits you should be able to dominate the med from islands.

The problem with this,no way he can steal any trade power from Genoa as Holland.France ,Spain  could but as Holland ...
Dont forget Genoa is a merchant republic focusing on trade and that area is its Capital Trade center.
I rather avoid trade seering to a rival power capital.i rather annex the hansa first and use that trade route what I mentioned before.

Solmyr

Btw, is there anything that describes the combat system in more detail? For example, what exactly things like combat width mean?