News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I'm sticking to my naval force limits so that I can't use the light ship doomstack approach. I'm also not taking gold off the primitives (might take it off the Aztecs and Inca though  :hmm: ), it is essentially an exploit.

Legbiter

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2013, 10:34:32 AM
One nitpick, the border friction event is pretty extreme, it fires fairly often and it pushes all your neighbors into coalitions if you so much as fart in their general vicinity.

They said they will be hotfixing that soon.

:thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 19, 2013, 11:00:55 AM
I'm sticking to my naval force limits so that I can't use the light ship doomstack approach. I'm also not taking gold off the primitives (might take it off the Aztecs and Inca though  :hmm: ), it is essentially an exploit.

those are great houserules for an MP game if these don`t get patched fast enough.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2013, 10:43:15 AM
when you get a province in a peace deal it erases all buildings there so with the frequent wars (hopefully the to-be-fixed border friction is a factor in that), nobody gets to advanced buildings, like, ever
Yeah, they really need to moderate that.  I understand that you would want to avoid big countries seizing "ripe" little countries, but scorching the contested provinces is not the answer either.  After all, historically some of the most fought-over provinces were the well-developed provinces (which is why they were fought over).

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2013, 10:51:26 AM
Paradox will have to tweak the native gold supply, the border friction events and the use of massive doomstacks of light ships to break the trade system
Again, I don't think that light ships are the problem.  Even if you have 10,000 light ships on a node, the best they can do is give you 99.99% share of the trade power there.  What breaks the system is the amplification of trade value from node to node, due to various percentage bonuses. 

Paradox really has trouble developing complicated in-game mechanics without some fundamental flaws.  They then vainly try to balance it, but you can't find a stable balance in a fundamentally unstable system.  I guess you can't just cap the transfer efficiency at 100% either, because then you'd have the opposite problem of trade value petering out on the way home.  Exponential growth works in the negative direction as well.

crazy canuck

I think the problem with the trade system lies in the predetermined trade routes.  It makes no sense that Portugal can dominate Asian trade by directing all the trade to South Africa and then controlling 100% of the trade in that node.

Instead there should be dynamic trade routes that are created directly between a nation's home trading hub and whatever foriegn hub they are trading in.  The only hub a nation should be able to collect in is there own home hub and everything else should be a battle to see who can direct the most trade to their own hub - both by sending trade directly to that hub form overseas and also through direct competition of trying to direct trade from another nations home hub to your own.

Also, light ships need to be capped at a nation's naval force limit to avoid all the exploits.

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2013, 10:59:18 AM
Central Europe is always in flames, with the German minors being flung around like Jodie Foster on a pool table so the New World trade values will stay low forever.
The HRE seems way too unstable right now. Permanent warfare, all the minors trying to blob and Austria doing virtually nothing to keep the peace or free conquered territory. Feels like the HRE is constantly in Thirty Years War mode.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 11:42:50 AM
Instead there should be dynamic trade routes that are created directly between a nation's home trading hub and whatever foriegn hub they are trading in.

That would probably be a hot mess given the number of nations. I guess it would have to be abstracted to just numbers of the amount of trade entering your home node.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on August 19, 2013, 11:45:03 AM
Central Europe is always in flames, with the German minors being flung around like Jodie Foster on a pool table so the New World trade values will stay low forever.
The HRE seems way too unstable right now. Permanent warfare, all the minors trying to blob and Austria doing virtually nothing to keep the peace or free conquered territory. Feels like the HRE is constantly in Thirty Years War mode.
:lol: That's a good way to put it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 11:46:45 AM
Instead there should be dynamic trade routes that are created directly between a nation's home trading hub and whatever foriegn hub they are trading in.

That would probably be a hot mess given the number of nations. I guess it would have to be abstracted to just numbers of the amount of trade entering your home node.

Not sure why it would be a mess?  The only trade routes any one nation would need to see is their own and the fact that others are competing in trade nodes.

Viking

one thing from crusader kings I'd hope to see in this game was offering the AI all it demanded results in peace. e.g. In the HYW. In about 2 weeks the english armies are all wiped out and english WE is skyrocketing. Offering france all of it's cores doesn't work. The AI thinks it's winning and keeps attacking... the water on the beach.. it's a bit annoying... especially since it hurts the AI more than it does me.. the AI's the one who's country implodes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 11:53:33 AM

Not sure why it would be a mess?  The only trade routes any one nation would need to see is their own and the fact that others are competing in trade nodes.

I was thinking for the game to keep track of and separately visualize.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

The AI is still completely retarded in that regard. Why would Portugal land 4 infantry regiments in Languedoc when I have 16 stationed there to receive them?

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on August 19, 2013, 11:45:03 AM

I just started as Austria and have been trying to play HRE policeman. Fuck that shit, it`s insane.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 12:02:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 11:53:33 AM

I was thinking for the game to keep track of and separately visualize.

It would probably be less complex because then the game wouldnt have to track all the cascading movements from each trade node hop in the current design.  Every month it just needs to detect who is doing what in each trade node - as it already does.

What my suggestion does is remove the odd result which occurs when all trade from asia directed around Africa ends up hitting South Africa.