News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I really dig the Ironman mode (though not when Hansa stack-wiped my entire Brandenburg army).  Just the fact that you have to be more risk-averse is adding enough difficulty. 

DGuller

Damn, Brandenburg on Ironman is very nerve-racking.  You are surrounded by enemies that can whack you, especially if they get together.  You have to expand to give yourself some strategic depth, but at the same time you're on the razor thin edge of triggering the fatal case of outrage.  I'm up to 8 provinces, having taken Neumark, Mecklenburg, and all of Pommerania.  I feel like I really need to cool my heels at this point and let other countries forget about me.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2013, 12:19:11 AM
I really dig the Ironman mode (though not when Hansa stack-wiped my entire Brandenburg army).  Just the fact that you have to be more risk-averse is adding enough difficulty. 

Do you tend to reload?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Bluebook

Tamas

Quote from: Fireblade on August 17, 2013, 08:26:35 PM
Holy shit, trade is so broken. It's 1550 in my Portugal game and sugar is trading for far less than grain. In reality, demand for sugar should be at 110% until some European (probably a Hungarian) figured out you could make sugar out of beets.

I mean, France was more than happy to trade all of Canada (full of fur, which is apparently worth more than gold) for Martinique, which is most famous for being relatively close to whatever shithole Caribbean island Rhianna came from and being almost completely covered with sugar cane plantations.

Edit: God damn it, tomorrow I'm going to break out all my books and use my year of master's level history education at a 6th tier American university to argue for Paradox fixing their fucking trade system to make colonizing the New World worth more more than shaking down Native tribes for thousands of gold. Having a province next to the Creek for a CB is more lucrative than owning Brazil.

:(

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

How to make thousands of gold per month trading: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?731-Europa-Universalis-IV

Hint: you need well placed conquests and about 1400 light ships working on a long-ass route from Nippon to Seville.

They seriously need to patch in a cap on trade power provided by light ships. My trade income doesn't even exists compared to this and I have already noticed I can start ignoring the naval force limit

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2013, 01:35:34 AM

Do you tend to reload?
Not all the time, only when things go bad.  Just knowing that you can reload can be enough to change your behavior, though.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2013, 04:41:29 AM
How to make thousands of gold per month trading: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?731-Europa-Universalis-IV

Hint: you need well placed conquests and about 1400 light ships working on a long-ass route from Nippon to Seville.

They seriously need to patch in a cap on trade power provided by light ships. My trade income doesn't even exists compared to this and I have already noticed I can start ignoring the naval force limit
It's not the trade power that's the problem, but rather Paradox's love affair with >100% efficiencies.  When you can steer more trade out of a node than you put in, each additional node exponentially amplifies the value of the whole chain.  You basically get what Bart Simpson got when he chained a dozen megaphones end-to-end.

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2013, 05:02:10 AM

Do you tend to reload?
Not all the time, only when things go bad.  Just knowing that you can reload can be enough to change your behavior, though.

Very true

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2013, 05:02:10 AM

Do you tend to reload?

:hmm:

I think CK broke me of that habit. I'd play ironman but I've concerns about corrupted saves.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Odd. The Aztecs and Oyo are in a personal union.

sbr

Is there any legitimate way for a stack of 12 early game (1457) Hungarian Patroits with no artillery to siege a formerly Hunagrian province in 4 days?  It has a level 2 fort.

Kleves

Speaking of saves, is there anyway to delete them?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.