News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

BTW, interesting limit on tech expansion, I found myself having the max DIP power, but unable to buy the next tech level due to various maluses.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2013, 04:07:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2013, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2013, 03:52:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2013, 12:05:45 PM
:hmm:

It seems then that Spain would rarely be interested in participating in the New World, Italy and Burgundy at the same time.

Historically it was more a case of <spanish> holy shit we can dominate BOTH terminus nodes AND most of the source nodes, if we do this right we can own ALL world trade!</spanish>. The spanish WERE in Italy and in the Netherlands to begin with. It's just that France and England started fucking with their possessions there.

Except that all of those things happened contemporaneously. Hispaniola was first colonized around the time that Spain was stretching its might against France in Italy.

It was also Castille going to the new world and aragon going into italy, burgundy was dealing with a revolt and hapsburg emperor were dealing with religious "difficulties" the problem was they were all the same person.

But you are right, to model it correctly what you really need is four countries with different sets of ideas and when castillian ideas take over everything it all falls apart.

Yeah I guess my point was just that in early iterations, there were good reasons to enter the all of the various arenas whereas now it is decidely not worth it.  In my game, Burgundy never entered my orbit and has been doing well enough vs. France that I doubt I'll ever be involved there. As far as Italy, I really am just serving to prop up Naples and Milan vs. France and Austria. Anything beyond that seems a distraction given the amount of effort that's needed to subdue Incans/Mexico.

I noticed that the AI seems to like to fall to Republican leaning rebels. Both Austria and Scotland became noble republics. :D

Great Britain formed in like 1540. Seems a tad early for England to have united all of the Isles.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2013, 04:08:38 PM
BTW, interesting limit on tech expansion, I found myself having the max DIP power, but unable to buy the next tech level due to various maluses.
If that happens to me, which is definitely doesn't in my Portugal game, I just convert provinces outside of my culture groups.  Better that than having it completely go to waste.

Fireblade

Holy shit, trade is so broken. It's 1550 in my Portugal game and sugar is trading for far less than grain. In reality, demand for sugar should be at 110% until some European (probably a Hungarian) figured out you could make sugar out of beets.

I mean, France was more than happy to trade all of Canada (full of fur, which is apparently worth more than gold) for Martinique, which is most famous for being relatively close to whatever shithole Caribbean island Rhianna came from and being almost completely covered with sugar cane plantations.

Edit: God damn it, tomorrow I'm going to break out all my books and use my year of master's level history education at a 6th tier American university to argue for Paradox fixing their fucking trade system to make colonizing the New World worth more more than shaking down Native tribes for thousands of gold. Having a province next to the Creek for a CB is more lucrative than owning Brazil.

DGuller

I love coalitions.  The Big Blue Blob manages to really blob, and in the process attract everyone near it into a coalition.  It eventually ran out of manpower, and  :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:.  Right now most of the fighting in France is between Protestant rebels and peasant rebels, with Protestants winning.  I wonder how this all will end.

DGuller

Oh, I just unpaused and found out.  It lost more than half of its territory, including all in the south, in the peace deal, or subsequent rebellions.  Serves them right.

DGuller

I just found out that the Pope doesn't like me too much.  :( I was quite hurt, having been the most powerful Catholic power for quite some time.  Turns out he doesn't like me because the Pope is Reformed.  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

One thing I really like is how AI will now use you to no end if you ally with them.  It certainly makes geopolitical manipulations easier if you're the superpower trying to build up your friends.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2013, 04:53:26 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2013, 04:08:38 PM
If that happens to me, which is definitely doesn't in my Portugal game, I just convert provinces outside of my culture groups.  Better that than having it completely go to waste.

This happened to me as Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany

I'm running +180% maluses on my DIP and MIL tech but my ADM is the limiting factor in how fast I conquer. Fortunately for me the truce period and the coalition mechanic that prevents me from annexing ALL my coalition opponents, since the germany founding event gives me claims on everything.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on August 17, 2013, 08:26:35 PM
Edit: God damn it, tomorrow I'm going to break out all my books and use my year of master's level history education at a 6th tier American university to argue for Paradox fixing their fucking trade system to make colonizing the New World worth more more than shaking down Native tribes for thousands of gold. Having a province next to the Creek for a CB is more lucrative than owning Brazil.

Right? I just discovered that as Portugal. Attacked Creek who taken over Cherokee and Shawnee. Made them release Shawnee splitting them in half and also ganked them for 1500d. Why would I go anywhere else for money? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2013, 09:51:59 PM
One thing I really like is how AI will now use you to no end if you ally with them.

Yeah, I now limit the alliances that I'm in. Good stuff.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned