News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2013, 05:59:30 AM
So guys, I am not so sure about the "don't need to use a merchant to transfer trade in a one-way node" thing. I mean sure you don't HAVE to, but if you have like no presence there without a merchant, a lot of the stuff will be probably retained by the local powers.

The most effecient way of trade if you use 1 mecrhant by the end trade for example in Seville.And use the other trader to transfer trade there.

FunkMonk

The number of loans you can take is in the Repay Loans screen I think.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2013, 06:10:03 AM
So guys, I am not so sure about the "don't need to use a merchant to transfer trade in a one-way node" thing. I mean sure you don't HAVE to, but if you have like no presence there without a merchant, a lot of the stuff will be probably retained by the local powers.

This is why you put in a fleet of light ships. All their trade power is used to transfer trade along.

I thought you can only send light ships to nodes you already have a presence in.

Tamas

Quote from: Anatron on August 17, 2013, 06:17:20 AM

The most effecient way of trade if you use 1 mecrhant by the end trade for example in Seville.And use the other trader to transfer trade there.

Yeah, what I am actually doing with Portugal right now is to collect at Mauritian Coast instead of Seville. That receives most of what I transfer from Brazil and the East and I have quite the monopoly there.

FunkMonk

As Portugal, in my epic journey for all the sweet, sweet anime gold, I've been moving steadily eastwards with my merchants. Usually what I've done is plop down a merchant in a node where I don't have cored province so I can nuke it with light ships and steer it with my merchant; otherwise the Indians/Arab/Swahili just retain it all in their capital nodes. Then I fabricate a claim or take advantage of the colonial spice trade events to declare war and take an important province. I aim for the ones that have high trade power, typically with a +5 bonus from 'Important Center of Trade' or 'Estuary'. After I win, I pull the merchant out and move him eastward to a new node, rinse and repeat. Of course if I need to steer trade in a particular direction I leave him there.

I haven't gotten to Japan yet, though. I have a colony in Taiwan and a claim on the Chinese coastal provinces though. Ultimately I want to conquer Japan and convert them all into good Portuguese Catholics and rebuild their country with African slaves. I'll establish a slave-owning class in Japan and unite Lettow's disparate dreams.  :cry:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Zanza

I am just playing my first game as Brandenburg.

Started by allying Poland and Austria. First mission was to reclaim Neumark, afterwards I fabricated a claim on Mecklenburg and then got the mission to conquer Breslau. After 10 years I have already doubled my territory.

And then, my faithful ally Poland - in its war for Chelmno - subjugated the Teutonic Order and made it my vassal. Huh? Lucky break I guess. Does someone know what I need to convert Brandenburg into Prussia? EDIT: Apparently being protestant is one precondition.

Playing Ironman mode is more fun for me as I used to be fairly reckless and this let's me think twice before I take an important decision.

HVC

Well I bought the game. It's fun. although I  can't convert jack shit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2013, 10:48:19 AM
although I  can't convert jack shit.

I hate the events that grant religious zeal to provinces. Seems pretty unlikely to me that Spain would be like oh well, we'll just wait a couple decades to root the heretics in Castile out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So what's the strategy with Mexico now, only conquer small bits at a time?

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2013, 10:51:35 AM
So what's the strategy with Mexico now, only conquer small bits at a time?

Oh yes. In general, it is is immensely advantageous to only grab stuff you have claim on. The coalition, rebellion, overextension and manpower systems mean you can go down HARD for what would have accumulated for mild disadvantage in EU3.

Liep

Annoying, after about 4 years playing as England the game becomes choppy and unplayable (after peace in the 100 years war, tried twice). The previous lag problem I had was fixed with updating drivers, but this problem seems specific to England as other nations don't cause it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

:hmm:

It seems then that Spain would rarely be interested in participating in the New World, Italy and Burgundy at the same time.

sbr

Where can you see what your force limits are?