Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2013, 05:53:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 05:43:07 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2013, 03:37:49 PM
If I could only somehow harness the manpower of the revolters...

That is so what I want to do! I totally had a time where I had no standing army just to build my MP back up as otherwise, the rebels would continue to eat up my little fledgling army.

Seriously, if some pipsqeek religious minority can produce 15k men instantly in one province every couple of months when the hell can't I with control of the state and the church muster much more than 200 dudes per month? Plus if they are revolting because of war exhaustion how the hell can they muster the will to fight based on an unwillingness to fight? The hidden true killer here is that WE reduces your manpower regeneration rate. You basically take a nose dive into a deep well and stay there much worse than before.

There does need to be some way to get emergency manpower out. A desperate call to arms with a hefty prestige hit along with a stab hit giving you 1 years manpower?

As Bohemia, my alliance with Austria was both my downfall (because of WE) and saving grace as they would send their stacks to root out the rebels in my provinces.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Have to wait to see how MP goes in that sphere--players can be both more and less reasonable than the AI...
:mad:

garbon

It does seem to be a rather strong attempt at design for effect.  The goal is clearly to get players to avoid fighting total wars in the Renaissance period, but I'm not sure if it is too strong a swing in that direction versus gameplay.  Have to wait to see how MP goes in that sphere--players can be both more and less reasonable than the AI...

Yeah I'm wondering what happens in MP, because it seems like once any player is down on the MP front, they are wide open to a ganking unless some other player wants to protect them. Which I suppose could be the case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2013, 06:35:03 PM
Have to wait to see how MP goes in that sphere--players can be both more and less reasonable than the AI...
:mad:

:D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 06:35:54 PM
It does seem to be a rather strong attempt at design for effect.  The goal is clearly to get players to avoid fighting total wars in the Renaissance period, but I'm not sure if it is too strong a swing in that direction versus gameplay.  Have to wait to see how MP goes in that sphere--players can be both more and less reasonable than the AI...

Yeah I'm wondering what happens in MP, because it seems like once any player is down on the MP front, they are wide open to a ganking unless some other player wants to protect them. Which I suppose could be the case.

At least in any MP game I participate in, I will be generally against someone dog piling to pick up scraps from a kicked player. That's just good long-term thinking. 
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

dps

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2013, 04:19:57 PM
Quote from: Anatron on August 14, 2013, 03:10:18 PM

Another very interesting thing,not only players can do westernization.I just fighting against AI westernized Poland troops. :cool:

AI nations could westernize in EUIII as well.  It didn't happen too often because usually that didn't have the right slider positions nor a monarch with a good enough ADM rating.
yeah it's cool that the AI is attempting that :) Can help keep games varied.

DGuller

The inheritance of Burgundy clusterfuck is back.  I was quite surprised as I was playing my first game as Austria.  It's a little ridiculous, my territory doubled in size overnight for reasons that have nothing to do with me.  I understand the desire to have some historical events, but I think accidents of history like the Burgundian succession don't need to be in the game.

Liep

I agree, but it does help keep France a little in check. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

In my Portugal game Burgundy survived and owns the eastern half of France.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Richard Hakluyt

In my game the religious wars have totally buggered France  :cool:

Normandy, the Dauphine (Catholic), Foix and Brittany have all broken away from France (Reformed).

The Netherlands has formed instead of Austria getting loads of stuff. Austria itself has dropped out of the great powers.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2013, 03:07:24 AM
The inheritance of Burgundy clusterfuck is back.  I was quite surprised as I was playing my first game as Austria.  It's a little ridiculous, my territory doubled in size overnight for reasons that have nothing to do with me.  I understand the desire to have some historical events, but I think accidents of history like the Burgundian succession don't need to be in the game.

Does look like there are ways to avoid it / minimize it's likelihood as well as have it so Austria doesn't inherit. Thing is though that conditions are very likely to be in place in the early part of the game.

DGuller

I've got an event where I was forced to choose to have 24 rebel regiments pop up in Brabant.  I gritted my teeth, upped my military maintenance, and let them appear.  Inexplicably, they weren't interested in occupying my Dutch lands, and instead went southeast.  I looked closely, and saw that they were Persian nationalists, presumably going to Persia to do their thing.   :hmm:  They must've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Fireblade

Wait doesn't the event only fire if Austria has a RM with Burgundy?

Edit: Oh, it's divided between France and the Emperor, unless the Emperor is weak, in which case it goes to a neighboring country with a RM.

DGuller

Quote from: Fireblade on August 15, 2013, 09:44:01 AM

Wait doesn't the event only fire if Austria has a RM with Burgundy?

Edit: Oh, it's divided between France and the Emperor, unless the Emperor is weak, in which case it goes to a neighboring country with a RM.
I did have an RM with Burgundy, due to trying to fulfill a mission.  I didn't give it much thought.  I was the Emperor at the time as well.  I think I got all of Burgundy, or at least the vast majority of it.  I did get an event almost immediately after where I was offered to cede four of those provinces to the neighbors, but I declined, and they went "Ok, no biggie, just thought I'd ask.  :)"