News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

Playing Moscowy. Very difficult to form Russia in a short period of time--I'm at 1541 by now and only finally am I annexing Novgorod (my vassal, since I changed their government) and have the level 10 admin tech to use the "Form Russia" event.

At least my current heir is Semen. He should have plenty of children.
Yuman

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2013, 01:01:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
In 1444 it looks hopeless to obtain a diplo annexation of Aragon by Castille.  I guess you need to get the right ideas to pull it off?

I'd suggest waiting for this to happen

Ah, thank you

FunkMonk

As Portugal I have cornered the world market in slaves and I'm receiving a +20% bonus to Global Tariffs.  :menace:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 14, 2013, 01:16:02 PM
As Portugal I have cornered the world market in slaves and I'm receiving a +20% bonus to Global Tariffs.  :menace:

Stop making me want to buy this game.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Yeah, Portugal is a lot of fun.  I just made the mistake of annexing Mexico  -  and now I need to start over after learning that lesson.

Also, looking over the Ideas of Castille, it doesnt seem to make any sense for Portugal to colonize any of the New world other than Brazil because it seems Castille will eventually take everything else anyway.  Thoughts?

FunkMonk

In my Portugal game I've decided to concentrate entirely on colonizing/conquering Africa, India, and the East Indies and let my best friends the Spanish have fun alone in the west. It's pretty fun and still really lucrative, despite the increased difficulties in colonizing the African coastline. Unfortunately the French have gotten into the African colonization game so now I'm building a Grand Imperial Slave Fleet to punish the frogs for poaching on my slave trade.

I like this game a lot. Sooo much better than EU 3.

FunkMonk

I went Economic, Exploration, and Navy as my ideas. Still only in the 1540s. Not sure how my strategy is going to hold up in the mid to to late game.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2013, 01:17:33 PM

Stop making me want to buy this game.

:blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 14, 2013, 01:29:06 PM
I went Economic, Exploration, and Navy as my ideas. Still only in the 1540s. Not sure how my strategy is going to hold up in the mid to to late game.

I am thinking innovation over economic.  The boost to Naval Tradition (less decay in the Innovation tree) gives to trade forwarding might be better than the Economic ideas.  Navy seems a no brainer though. 

Maximus

I haven't really been following this. So they went back to historically constraining events again? :yuk: Are they at least more flexible than in EU2?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on August 14, 2013, 02:12:14 PM
I haven't really been following this. So they went back to historically constraining events again?

I wouldnt say that.  But the game, through its mechanics, certainly plays a lot more historically.

Tamas

FFS. So I am Ottomans. Started with the mantra "DO NOT TRIGGER COALITIONS" Hitting über Bosnia hard. They want to give me most of their land. I am like "sure lol" 60% overextension, Venice, Hungary, Mamluks, assorted minors coalition and declare war. Venetian-Mameluk fleet trounces me, blockade the Bosporus, keeping the armies which could easily handle the main Mamluk force, stuck in Europe. So I am tearing Hungary apart while they slowly conquer my Asian lands. I am still hoping for a mild peace due to Mamluk WE, but noooo, Poland has to crusade my ass with 60k troops, WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2013, 02:17:27 PM
FFS. So I am Ottomans. Started with the mantra "DO NOT TRIGGER COALITIONS" Hitting über Bosnia hard. They want to give me most of their land. I am like "sure lol" 60% overextension, Venice, Hungary, Mamluks, assorted minors coalition and declare war. Venetian-Mameluk fleet trounces me, blockade the Bosporus, keeping the armies which could easily handle the main Mamluk force, stuck in Europe. So I am tearing Hungary apart while they slowly conquer my Asian lands. I am still hoping for a mild peace due to Mamluk WE, but noooo, Poland has to crusade my ass with 60k troops, WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!

I love this game.  All our old instincts are wrong.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 02:07:59 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 14, 2013, 01:29:06 PM

I am thinking innovation over economic.  The boost to Naval Tradition (less decay in the Innovation tree) gives to trade forwarding might be better than the Economic ideas.  Navy seems a no brainer though.

Only on in my game I regretted taking Economic, but then the inflation monster reared it's ugly head and I was glad I took it. Still, I think something other than Economic may have been a better option for the early game.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 01:20:06 PM

Yeah, Portugal is a lot of fun.  I just made the mistake of annexing Mexico  -  and now I need to start over after learning that lesson.

Also, looking over the Ideas of Castille, it doesnt seem to make any sense for Portugal to colonize any of the New world other than Brazil because it seems Castille will eventually take everything else anyway.  Thoughts?

I survived annexing mexico, my problem was annexing mexico while I had the time dependent claim on indian coastal provinces. I should NOT have done both at the same time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.