News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

1492 start of course gives France an advantage. They're mostly unified by that time and quite stable, with England not having anything more than Calais, and Burgundy doesn't even exist. Austria has rebellions all throughout former Burgundian lands, so of course they're not going to be able to magically stop a mostly-unified France from unifying even more. It would likely take a combination of England and Spain to take care of France, and that's predicated on England being able to simultaneously take care of Scotland, which is almost certainly allied with France from the get-go.

1444 start for France leaves it in a much more precarious and weakened state, which allows an Anglo-Burgundian alliance to check them quite easily.
Yuman

garbon

I do like though the mod threads being moved into the mod subforum which you can't see unless you've registered your game. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Does France start with over-extension penalties in 1492?  If not they probably should.  That might help the problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Supernerd Quill18 is livestreaming the release version of the game tonight.  :homestar:

http://www.twitch.tv/quill18
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2013, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 03:57:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2013, 02:04:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
Odd to see mod threads already being established...
Some people just like to tinker so obsessively that the mere exercise becomes an end unto itself.

Yeah it just seems like actually try the game first, people. I don't know why modding on day 0 makes sense.

Exactly.

Yeah.  Paradox games have such a fine track record of being perfect on release.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2013, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2013, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 03:57:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2013, 02:04:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 01:49:20 PM
Odd to see mod threads already being established...
Some people just like to tinker so obsessively that the mere exercise becomes an end unto itself.

Yeah it just seems like actually try the game first, people. I don't know why modding on day 0 makes sense.

Exactly.

Yeah.  Paradox games have such a fine track record of being perfect on release.

The modders at this stage have played the demo, but still proclaim they already know the game better than the devs and betas

dps

BTW, anybody know if AI fleets are still immune to attrition?

Anatron

Richard Hakluyt

There are a lot of people claiming that the variability of monarchs is bad.........."ooo if you have bad luck and get a bad monarch your country could be nerfed for decades.......yada yada yada......" ................yeah, and?

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 13, 2013, 03:44:51 AM
There are a lot of people claiming that the variability of monarchs is bad.........."ooo if you have bad luck and get a bad monarch your country could be nerfed for decades.......yada yada yada......" ................yeah, and?

This crowd is even more apparent in the board gaming hobby. They frown on any kind of randomness, regardless of simulation value. They want games where they can learn an algorithm they can follow to success, and just want to run it over and over again. I pity them :p

Richard Hakluyt

I just hope that Paradox is not fool enough to listen to them.

I'm rather looking forward to the challenge of running England with Henry VI myself, 0-0-0 of course, came to the throne aged 1, reigned 50 years, at his best a simpleton, at his worst a bedsoiling drooling vegetable.

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 13, 2013, 04:07:22 AM
I just hope that Paradox is not fool enough to listen to them.

I'm rather looking forward to the challenge of running England with Henry VI myself, 0-0-0 of course, came to the throne aged 1, reigned 50 years, at his best a simpleton, at his worst a bedsoiling drooling vegetable.

Starting with the richest most powerful and most advanced state in europe, with all it's enemies and rivals crushed beneath it's iron fist... only to make the game interesting..... I don't rage quit games because they are too hard, I borequit games that are too easy. Imbecile monarchs should be in the game without a doubt.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Spooky on August 12, 2013, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2013, 09:25:55 AM
From Johan:

QuoteThe game will go live at 9AM EST, which is about 15.00 in the afternoon Swedish time. (on the 13th of August)
Quote from: Liep on August 12, 2013, 09:25:28 AM
Yes. According to Steam it's 15:00 CEST on the 13th.

I would be stunned if it actually releases at 9am on Steam. I've been a member there for nine years and have never seen an early morning release like that.  I suspect it will be around 3pm on the day of.

However, to play devil's advocate to myself, I did just notice that the Steam Store pagerapidly moved the release forward this morning, it now displays 23 hours (currently 10:36am EST at time of this posting). This of course lends credence to the 9am release.

Well it was up. Downloading now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Download complete.  See you all in a year or so.  :D