News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2013, 10:13:00 AM
I've never bought the EU series via Steam - how are they on updates and such?

The only downside is that game updates automatically.  So if you want to play under an older version you have to figure out a work around.

Liep

You can turn of the automatic updates though, or just never open steam. EU3 can be played without steam iirc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on June 05, 2013, 12:46:14 PM
You can turn of the automatic updates though

Ah, I didnt know that.  Thanks.

Not opening steam is not an option for me.  I have become a bit addicted to buying new stuff on sale. I am worse than a housewife sitting on the couch eating chocolates while watching the shopping channel. :Embarrass:

garbon

Quote from: Liep on June 05, 2013, 12:46:14 PM
You can turn of the automatic updates though, or just never open steam. EU3 can be played without steam iirc.

Does the former work though? I'm pretty sure it still updates once you open that game. Only ways I know of to not auto-update are to keep steam in offline mode, or copy EU3 folder out of steam and play with that non-Steam connected copy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Well I preordered, I figured I might aswell take the 10% discount on steam for owning another Paradox title.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Neil

My plan is to wait until it hits about $10, because that's usually the point around which the game becomes playable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

CK2 was pretty playable before it hit the $10 mark, though an anomaly to be sure. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on June 07, 2013, 07:08:05 AM
Well I preordered, I figured I might aswell take the 10% discount on steam for owning another Paradox title.

I did as well

Tamas

I have preordered the "extreme edition". I'd break down and buy those DLC anyways, so why not do it straight away.

Johan, put me in the beta!

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2013, 11:36:39 AM
I have preordered the "extreme edition". I'd break down and buy those DLC anyways, so why not do it straight away.

Johan, put me in the beta!
Meh, you have to really, really love the game to make beta testing worth it, otherwise you burn out your initial enthusiasm on the very buggy and very unbalanced iteration of the game.  I liked being part of the Vicky 2 beta testing team, but even if I had time, I wouldn't do it again.

crazy canuck

I did too.  Its only a couple bucks more.

I dont want to be in the beta.  I just want to play a polished finished product.

Tamas

Phillip V

Steam gives a 10% discount if you already own EU3.

Cecil

Quote from: Phillip V on June 09, 2013, 03:16:24 AM

Yes that was a nice little extra bonus.

Zanza

Quote from: Cecil on June 09, 2013, 08:05:29 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on June 09, 2013, 03:16:24 AM

Yes that was a nice little extra bonus.
I quickly registered the give-away EU3 that Paradox forum members got a year ago or so.  :)