News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2013, 12:43:24 AM
Licensing issues aside, I'm rather curious how EU4 will turn out.

CK2 has set the bar very high, and I'm not sure if it wasn't a bit of an accident. I recall that for years P'dox said a sequel for CK1 was not in the cards because it hadn't performed too well in sales. I don't know if CK2 has outsold any of the HoI titles, but it put P'dox on the map for a much wider audience and got widespread attention.

It will be interesting to see what lessons they've learned from CK2. And let's keep in mind that as a publisher they still put out turds like Sword of the Stars 2 or Gettysburg: Armored Warfare.

Yeah, I was surprised how good CK2 was.  It's the best game they've released since EU2.  God knows why put out things like Gettysburg: Armored Warfare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2013, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2013, 01:30:13 PM
Gameplay impressions:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/19/impressions-europa-universalis-iv/

Wish it had been written by someone who had more of a background with EU.

Destructoid article linked in there is a bit better. Not as florid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

meh. it actually looks quite nice.

In general I am trying to keep away from the DDs. Since it will be a day one purchase regardless of what I read (I am a sucker), there is not much point in hyping up something for myself which is still at least half a year away.

Richard Hakluyt

It'll be a really good game in about 4 years time  :P

I shall buy it on release of course, maybe it will be like CK2 and good right from the start  :hmm:

Ideologue

God, I'm going to buy this, aren't I?

I hope it's more fun than EU3.  Talk about Lametown, United States of Games Without Personality.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

I deserve that.

I like CKII, though.  My problem with CKII is that it's really hard--or should I be more willing to keep playing after experience catastrophic defeat?  Because playing as a minor--i.e., not the king of France or HREmperor, and maybe even as them--catastrophic defeat where you lose majorly in terms of demesne and vassalage seems hard to avoid; likewise, playing under a major power, it seems difficult to navigate your way to freedom.  Playing a country near Muslims also seems like a good way to get the shit kicked out of you.

Like, I tried playing as the Duke or whatever of Barcelona, beat the crap out of my neighbors and the small Muslims, and even got to be King of Aragon, but got my army destroyed and treasury depleted in a defensive war with the North African Slam, and immediately lost 2/3 of my half century of conquest to ungrateful scumbag vassal traitors who still were able to muster troops despite the fact I killed all of their able-bodied men protecting the fucking realm. <_<

I just wonder if I was spoiled by EU2, where really losing a war, let alone to the extent that you lose two thirds of your territory, can practically never happen, because within fifty years of game start you're the strongest country in the region if not on the planet, or you've quit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Games where you can't suffer setbacks are boring.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I don't think I generally face many setbacks in CK2 now but I agree that when they happen it is more fun to roll with the punches.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2013, 12:44:35 AM
Games where you can't suffer setbacks are boring.

I've got life for that. :P

It's just way different than EU, where the challenge is rarely existential in the same way it is in CK2.  If I played against humans, getting the shit kicked out of me might have happened more often in the earlier game, I'll grant.  I'll have to get into some MP (HINT: I'M INVITING MYSELF) when EU4 comes out. :)
Kinemalogue

Solmyr

We should definitely revive Languish EU MP when this comes out.