News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

If the only result from this is Johan nerdraging on the forum I´d say it has been worth it.  :lol:

Syt

Meh, Johan always gets super-pissy when he thinks someone is playing his games without paying the fair share. Used to be pirates, now it's re-sellers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I can understand the Piracy thing, but the resellers seem to have the law on their side.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2013, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: frunk on February 16, 2013, 12:44:43 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 16, 2013, 12:29:24 PM
Because that's the whole point of licensing, so that the owner of the intellectual property retains control.  Again, the whole reason intellectual property is licensed is because otherwise it becomes much more difficult for the creator of the intellectual property to profit from his creation, which then discourages the creation of intellectual property.

The primary issue is unrestricted copying, not the re-selling of existing licenses.  If the transfer of a license allowed the new owner to use the item and stops the old owner from accessing it it would be the same as a physical item as far as possession.  I fail to see why an intellectual property owner should have the right to stop the current license owner from transferring that ownership.

In fact Paradox is a game company that shouldn't be concerned with this type of market.  Their games are one of the few that I still play several years after first purchase (admittedly because sometimes they are only fixed to a playable state a few years after release), and I would be least interested in reselling in this way.

A restriction on transfer of the license is boiler plate in licensing agreements.

Yes and when it comes to consumer copies such boiler plate is illegal in the EU.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2013, 04:01:46 PM
I can understand the Piracy thing, but the resellers seem to have the law on their side.

Depends on which jursidiction you are talking about.

Martinus

Considering that IP regulations are essentially a convention that is aimed at balancing the interests of authors and consumers (so there is nothing "natural" about them), I have to say I fail to see any reason whatsoever why laws should allow the IP license holders to prohibit reselling of a license.

You can have a debate about unrestricted copying but if the license stays the same, such ban seems to have no purpose other than protecting the monopoly of the IP holder.

Zanza

Quote from: Cecil on February 18, 2013, 02:59:31 PM
If the only result from this is Johan nerdraging on the forum I´d say it has been worth it.  :lol:
That won't be the only result. I am sure it will take some time until this is fully implemented and the specific detailed cases have been decided by lower level courts, but in the end, European consumers will be able to resell software they bought with an unrestricted use license. The only way around that is always online games that have a monthly fee. I guess software producers will eventually switch to those. Unless of course the market doesn't accept them, which I find reasonably likely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2013, 04:17:25 PM
Considering that IP regulations are essentially a convention that is aimed at balancing the interests of authors and consumers (so there is nothing "natural" about them), I have to say I fail to see any reason whatsoever why laws should allow the IP license holders to prohibit reselling of a license.

You can have a debate about unrestricted copying but if the license stays the same, such ban seems to have no purpose other than protecting the monopoly of the IP holder.

It is trite to say that the price at which a thing is sold depends on what is being sold.  If an IP holder is forced to allow license holders to resell then the price for that thing will likely increase because the bundle of rights being sold increases.

Warspite

Having just come into this thread, it sounds to me like EUIV will have a very detailed intellectual property legislation simulator. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

dps

Quote from: Zanza on February 18, 2013, 02:09:58 PM
QuoteMoreover,  the exhaustion of the distribution right extends to the copy of  the computer program sold as corrected and updated by the copyright holder.
Customer of second-hand licenses also have a right to getting all patches.

I guess if Johan doesn't like that, Paradox will either have to switch to a monthly subscription fee model or stop doing business in the European Union.

Couldn't they just switch to charging everyone, including the original purchasers, for patches?  Or just stop patching the games at all.

If you look at how many times EUII was patched and compare that to the number of patches vs "expansions" of EUIII, it could be argued that they've already gone over to charging for patches.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 18, 2013, 07:30:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 18, 2013, 02:09:58 PM
QuoteMoreover,  the exhaustion of the distribution right extends to the copy of  the computer program sold as corrected and updated by the copyright holder.
Customer of second-hand licenses also have a right to getting all patches.

I guess if Johan doesn't like that, Paradox will either have to switch to a monthly subscription fee model or stop doing business in the European Union.

Couldn't they just switch to charging everyone, including the original purchasers, for patches?  Or just stop patching the games at all.

If you look at how many times EUII was patched and compare that to the number of patches vs "expansions" of EUIII, it could be argued that they've already gone over to charging for patches.

I'm not sure that argument works so well with CK2. A lot of the major content changed was in the free patches.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Licensing issues aside, I'm rather curious how EU4 will turn out.

CK2 has set the bar very high, and I'm not sure if it wasn't a bit of an accident. I recall that for years P'dox said a sequel for CK1 was not in the cards because it hadn't performed too well in sales. I don't know if CK2 has outsold any of the HoI titles, but it put P'dox on the map for a much wider audience and got widespread attention.

It will be interesting to see what lessons they've learned from CK2. And let's keep in mind that as a publisher they still put out turds like Sword of the Stars 2 or Gettysburg: Armored Warfare.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2013, 04:46:34 PM

It is trite to say that the price at which a thing is sold depends on what is being sold.  If an IP holder is forced to allow license holders to resell then the price for that thing will likely increase because the bundle of rights being sold increases.

Meh, any monopolist will tell you what you just said - that if he is allowed to keep his monopoly, prices will go down, due to economies of scale and not having to compete with others etc. But that is, empirically, almost never the case.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 19, 2013, 02:17:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2013, 04:46:34 PM

Meh, any monopolist will tell you what you just said - that if he is allowed to keep his monopoly, prices will go down, due to economies of scale and not having to compete with others etc.

:huh: if that is what monopolists say in your country it can only be because they believe that Poles are not sophisticated enough to recognize bs when they hear it.

The alternative is that nobody actually says that and you simply made up a strawman in place of any real argument.

Based on past experience I wonder which one it could be. :hmm:

The Minsky Moment

Freedom of contract.
If the seller/IP holder wishes to license only on terms that prohibit re-transfer, and the licensee agrees, why should the government step in to block the transaction on those agreed terms?

The "monopoly" argument is a red herring in this context.  Johan doesn't have a monopoly on historical real-team strat games, and there is considerable ease of entry.   There is no competition issue of significance here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson