News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Quote from: Solmyr on January 21, 2013, 09:55:37 AM
Paradox is giving away Steam codes for EU3 Chronicles in celebration of 500k forum members. I already have all the expansions so if anyone is interested I can send you my code.
Is this still available?

Martinus

It always amazes me to see the nerd rage about stuff like steam. Sure, I am not a big fan of this platform either, but I just don't get the "if it is released on steam only I will not buy it" approach.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2013, 07:30:01 AM
It always amazes me to see the nerd rage about stuff like steam. Sure, I am not a big fan of this platform either, but I just don't get the "if it is released on steam only I will not buy it" approach.

Especially as there are already so many other good reasons not to buy any more Paradox products.

Syt

I'm pretty sure I have more PC games on Steam than I ever had in physical form. Instant gratification FTL. :(

The last time I bought a game box was because it was 40% cheaper than Steam and I only needed it to enter the code in Steam.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: chipwich on January 27, 2013, 05:34:45 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on January 21, 2013, 09:55:37 AM
Paradox is giving away Steam codes for EU3 Chronicles in celebration of 500k forum members. I already have all the expansions so if anyone is interested I can send you my code.
Is this still available?

Sure, you want my code?

Vricklund

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2013, 07:30:01 AM
I can't even be bothered to register paradox games, I've raged plenty about its necessity on their boards, so I can understand the sentiment. :nerd:

I've never bought a game off steam so I'm totaly in the dark here but the whole concept of an application running in the background like that seems like the worst idea ever.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Vricklund on January 27, 2013, 01:59:20 PM
I've never bought a game off steam so I'm totaly in the dark here but the whole concept of an application running in the background like that seems like the worst idea ever.

Time to put down your abacus and join the modern age.  Btw, as has been mentioned about a billion times before - once you start the game you can log off steam.

Jaron

I haven't been following this very closely. Even if it was just a graphical overhaul to EU3, I'd probably pick it up at some point when it isn't full price.

EU2 was badly flawed but fun. EU3 addressed a lot of the flaws and made the game flexible, fun and interesting. I would say the areas the game is weakest is trade, economics, and naval warfare. There are parts of land combat I'd like to see addressed but they are more personal grievances than actual flaws in the design.

What I want most is an overhaul to the trade and colonial model. Perhaps a more robust diplomatic model too.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Solmyr

Those parts are pretty much the ones being overhauled.

Josquius

Quote from: sbr on January 26, 2013, 11:44:04 AM

Note the last paragraph.

I saw a post over there today where a mod said 95% of all CKII sales were through Steam.  2-3 devs (including Johan) posted after than and didn't correct the statement.

Wow, steam having a decent majority is expected but 95%!!?!?!?
Would think physical sales alone would be a fair bit more than 5. Wow.
But then CK2 was an oddly big seller....I guess the good thing about steam is its a lot easier for customers that arent your usual to casually buy it on a whim.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on January 27, 2013, 05:49:33 PMWhat I want most is an overhaul to the trade and colonial model. Perhaps a more robust diplomatic model too.
Then your wish shall be granted, as this is exactly what gets the biggest overhaul.

Tamas

Solmyr

Syt

On the topic of Steam: Valve is being dragged to court, it seems, because they're not allowing re-selling of games acquired through them (the European Courts have already acknowledged consumers' rights to re-sell software licenses).

The thread:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?664769-Valve-sued-by-German-consumer-group-because-Steam-users-can%92t-resell-games&p=14992440&viewfull=1#post14992440

And Johan's stance:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?664769-Valve-sued-by-German-consumer-group-because-Steam-users-can%92t-resell-games&p=14992440&viewfull=1#post14992440
QuoteFor me its very simple.

If you want to enjoy my work, you pay me money for it. If that can not be enforced, then make your own games, as i wont be making them.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?664769-Valve-sued-by-German-consumer-group-because-Steam-users-can%92t-resell-games&p=14992540&viewfull=1#post14992540
QuoteGames are digital and dont lose in quality. Its a service provided, and you pay for the right to play the game. You dont own it.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?664769-Valve-sued-by-German-consumer-group-because-Steam-users-can%92t-resell-games&p=14993749&viewfull=1#post14993749
QuoteOriginally Posted by El Greco 
As others have already said, I should be able to resell the right to play the game, if I won't play anymore.

Not acceptable in my world.

If you want to play my games, you pay money to me.

I actually prefer pirates over people to resell or buy secondhand copies. At least a pirate may consider to buy a legal copy if he likes the game.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?664769-Valve-sued-by-German-consumer-group-because-Steam-users-can%92t-resell-games&p=14993949&viewfull=1#post14993949
QuoteOriginally Posted by Dangeroustom 
What about the people who bought the physical copy of your work?

Do you personally go around their houses and demand they pay you?

If not then you're a whiny crybaby who is fearful that you can't push other people around anymore
They should have.

I hate this entitlement of people. I'm not your slave, and you have no divine right to enjoy my work.

Fuck it, you guys just convinced me to be pro drm. If people want to resell, then we just have to enforce the possibility for proper transfers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.