News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2021, 05:49:51 AM
Come on guys.... I mean war canoe for Polynesians. The forum has been crying for that since release.

Well, I do have a vague memory of some player frustration when playing in North America about no ability to travel on water. But only vaguely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I've never played as a Native American country. Is it feasible? Tips?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2021, 12:15:55 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2021, 10:44:53 AM
Yeah. 20 years ago, about now, I discovered EU1 and realized that was the game for me. Never looked back.

Ditto

Mongers, definitely give it a try.

Thanks CC, I'll give it a spin.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2021, 10:30:49 AM
I've never played as a Native American country. Is it feasible? Tips?

Sorry, I think I only tried briefly when they came out with some of the new mechanics. Not enough to say a strategy but recall it was much more fun than earlier in EU history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josephus on April 21, 2021, 05:49:51 AM
Come on guys.... I mean war canoe for Polynesians. The forum has been crying for that since release.

It's still no torpedo boat...

garbon

Looks like Leviathin has had a subpar launch.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2021, 05:37:12 AM
Looks like Leviathin has had a subpar launch.

Oh my, was just reading up on it, bloody hell. Johan's Barcelona studio has been a disaster so far.

I guess he can come back to posting here now that retirement beckons? :P

garbon

Syt

How bad can it be?

*checks forums*

Oh. ... Oh. :blink:

And I had forgotten that there was already a botched patch a while back: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-apologies-for-1-30-5.1457288/

On retirement:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-paradox-is-rebuilding-imperator-rome/

Quote[...]

In April, Paradox released its latest grand strategy epic, Imperator: Rome, giving armchair conquerors a massive map of antiquity to paint in their colour. Reviews were largely positive—I gave it 92 and think it's one of the studio's strongest games at launch—but the sentiment hasn't been shared by the majority of players. On Steam, it's the only Paradox game with a negative rating.

"It's been completely different from what we've experienced before," says creative director Johan Andersson. After a string of successful launches and a build-up that involved countless dense developer diaries and streams, he was expecting players to take to it just like they did his last game, Europa Universalis 4. But it didn't happen.

"The post-launch was not all that fun for me personally," he says. "There were multiple times during that month where I was like, 'Fuck this shit, I'm quitting the industry.' It was like, 'I don't know how to make games anymore, I should just retire.'"

[...]

(On that note, I watched an Imperator stream on the Paradox channel a few weeks ago where the community manager asked the developer about army tactical stances that you can set for armies. Developer's reply: "Yes, this came up a lot during QA and all the testers really disliked the system, but Johan ... decided it was more important to assign resources to other areas." ... Yikes :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah Imperator has been largely saved from his decisions by now I think. I keep saying but the pre-release streams of that with Johan were very revealing. The way he ignored ALL efforts by the marketing guy next to him trying to come up with a historical narrative story for what was unfolding, and just clickity-clicking furiously from one conquest to the other.

I don't want to to be harsh on Johan, he did create my favourite games and game series which also happened to be the same for a LOT of people, so should get respect for that, but it seems stuff he has been in charge of since Imperator have been spiralling down. Perhaps he could use some time away or just the opportunity to work on whatever he really wants to.

Syt

The thing is, I think EU (in general) and Imperator are/were really projects he wanted work on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I think the problem that a lot of successful people have is that they fail to fully understand the reason for their success, and that eventually leads them to the path of jumping the shark.  To get the initial level of success, they had to make maybe a dozen important decisions, but it may well have been the case that one or two out of those dozen were really golden, and a couple of those dozen were actually bad decisions that were overshadowed by the golden ones.  Eventually success gets to them, and they think that every idea that comes out of their head is the golden one, because obviously their record of success speaks for itself.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2021, 10:26:58 AM
I think the problem that a lot of successful people have is that they fail to fully understand the reason for their success
In a lot of cases, the reason was "good fortune".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 27, 2021, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2021, 10:26:58 AM
I think the problem that a lot of successful people have is that they fail to fully understand the reason for their success
In a lot of cases, the reason was "good fortune".
Yeah, that too.

Threviel

I've had exactly one interaction with him, I don't remember if it was HoI 2 or 3, it was the one where you had to allocate production resources that changed daily. In the previous HoI it could be automated, but just before release I noticed that the automation was gone and I made a thread on it. Johan was absolutely flabbergasted that someone would want to automate them instead of manually min/maxing them every single day.

Automation was added in the first or second patch.