News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Agree on EU4/EU5 but what is CK3's consistent design? Build in a bunch of small features over time?

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

In my opinion, the core mechanics of CK3 work well to create a good game. And all DLCs so far just add flavour, not core mechanics.  The Northern Lords was pretty focused.

Compare that to this hodgepodge of features. A glaring lack of direction.

garbon

The well known combo of poetry, snow and dueling? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Poetry and duelling fit well into the general character-based design of the game.

But I actually meant the Viking DLC. It offers new targeted content for a particular play style. No more, no less. In the past, Paradox DLCs often mixed essential gameplay mechanics with the DLC content. And if you did not buy the DLC, the core game was incomplete. An example is EU4 development where a lot of the features are only available in DLCs.

garbon

Yes I guess my thought was that it is a) premature to evaluate exactly how it'll play out for ck3 and b) that newly added features are not entirely cohesive.

Zanza

Fair enough. We will see with the next DLC, which is named "expansion" and not "flavour pack".

Sheilbh

To be honest I'm pretty happy with CK3 as is. It feels like a good reasonably developed game that I've been enjoying out of the box - which is not the norm for Paradox lately (especially EUIV). I think maybe because of that there's less pressure on the new DLCs to be big new features etc and they can focus a little more on flavour - which is needed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

I thought EUIV was quite good out of the box, unlike EUIII which was a disaster from the beginning. Might be my memory that's faulty though.

Syt

Only one step away from Incan torpedo boats:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

According to the DD war canoes are meant for civs without access to cogs so they can get troops across water. They will have abysmal combat stats.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Just scrolled through the first few pages of the thread ... the game was announced in 2012 (released 2013). :D

Where has all the time gone. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 06, 2021, 10:39:43 AM
Just scrolled through the first few pages of the thread ... the game was announced in 2012 (released 2013). :D

Where has all the time gone. :(

Getting old sucks. You blink and it is ten years later. How? How does that happen? Damn.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I am sure EU4 helped me give a good impression to my new flat mate back then.  :lol: I moved to England I think days before it got released and after it released I still had a few days empty before starting my new job so obviously I totally marathoned it barely leaving my room.  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on April 06, 2021, 05:41:57 AM
I thought EUIV was quite good out of the box, unlike EUIII which was a disaster from the beginning. Might be my memory that's faulty though.

Yeah, it was very good out of the box.