Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2021, 04:46:53 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2021, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2021, 02:15:49 PM
Watching the Paradox livestream. EU4 will offer a subscription model soon, where you get access to all current and future content for 9.99 or so per month. :D

10 a month for such an old game? Sounds like they want this experiment to fail.

What I don't get is that at that rate you can buy a DLC every or every other month, so there's a good chance you end up paying more in the end.

obviously they count on people not being able to do math

DGuller

I won't mind paying more in the end if that means the end of the DLC model, because you're going to get more.  Judging from HOI4 at least, the DLC model is really damaging to the game, and it pretty much eliminated any bug fixing outside of the window of one month after the release of new DLC.  The DLC model encourages the creation of new bugs rather than quashing of old ones.

crazy canuck

Watching the Paradox livestream. EU4 will offer a subscription model soon, where you get access to all current and future content for 9.99 or so per month. :D

It may not make much sense for someone who already has all the DLCs, but for someone looking to pick the game up, it probably looks more attractive.

I think DG also has a good point.  If moving to a subscription means better quality over time, I would sign up.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2021, 10:40:55 AM

It may not make much sense for someone who already has all the DLCs, but for someone looking to pick the game up, it probably looks more attractive.

I think DG also has a good point.  If moving to a subscription means better quality over time, I would sign up.

I would not pay 10 pounds per month for an EU game, except maybe for a trial month. If it's a good iteration I'd be paying it for hundreds of hours and for years. Terrible deal.

Maladict

Yeah, it only makes sense if you binge play it for a couple of months. Or if you believe all of the DLC is necessary to have a good game.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2021, 10:44:56 AM

I would not pay 10 pounds per month for an EU game, except maybe for a trial month. If it's a good iteration I'd be paying it for hundreds of hours and for years. Terrible deal.

I am also not sure why you would by for years.  Take that assumption away and it is a good deal for new players - start the subscription and get all the DLCs to date - pretty sweet deal.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2021, 11:16:17 AM

I am also not sure why you would by for years.  Take that assumption away and it is a good deal for new players - start the subscription and get all the DLCs to date - pretty sweet deal.

I guess it depends on how much you anticipate you would play the game.  If you anticipate you might spends hundreds of hours in the game, then you're going to get a bit of a raw deal on a monthly sub vs. buying game and its many cheaply discounted dlcs when on a regular sale.

However, if you anticipate you'll just want to play for a few months and move on - agree could be a good model.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I am very happy with my Game Pass subscription, overall I have saved money with it.

But I get a lot of games, Ck3 included, for about 8 pounds. 10 pounds for a single game is way overboard.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2021, 12:51:26 PM
I am very happy with my Game Pass subscription, overall I have saved money with it.

But I get a lot of games, Ck3 included, for about 8 pounds. 10 pounds for a single game is way overboard.

how do the DLCs work with Game Pass, do you automatically get them?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2021, 01:13:05 PM

No, I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Josephus

So with the subscription, if you were to cancel, do you lose access to the DLCs you already have?

edit: I guess they would.  Yeah, I'm not sure this would interest me. By and large I tend to play Paradox games for a long time (still playing EU 4). I'd have to do the math to see if that would have worked out, had that $5/mo been available at the time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Where do you see 10 pounds?

This subscription will be available on 18 March 2021 for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99 per month. This subscription will automatically renew at the end of every month until it is cancelled.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Somebody here told that. Still that's too much for 1 game. :P

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2021, 01:13:05 PM

Incidentally, I have just started downloading Dragon Age Inquisition from EA Play and I had the option to install any and all DLCs.

Zanza

QuoteEuropa Universalis IV: Leviathan coming April 27th 2021

Not everything has to be brute force. Armies are necessary, of course, but there are other ways to succeed. Build a force of diplomats, for example, and use your flattery as a weapon against others. Or draw wealth and power from the remote regions of your realm to construct a metropolis to be the engine of your economy. You can try many new routes to global power in Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan, coming next month.

Leviathan is the newest expansion to Paradox's grand strategy classic about the early modern world. The first release from the Barcelona based Paradox Tinto, Leviathan adds new options for diplomatic and economic play, and will be available to Europa Universalis players on 27 April 2021.

One of the highlights of Leviathan is the ability to use diplomatic Favors to gain benefits from other nations. If you post a diplomat to curry favor in a foreign nation, you will slowly build up enough diplomatic power to request material aid, changes in alliances and even the return of core provinces.

Other features of Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan include:

• New Regency Options: Regency councils represent the interests of the most powerful estate, and can be extended to delay the ascension of an unfit monarch.
  • Specialized Colonial Nations: Let your colonies focus on military help, trade power or self-government.
    • Concentrate Development: You can now steal development from your vassals or territorial possessions to enhance the power of your capital city.
    • Pillage Capital: Loot an enemy capital as a condition of peace, hauling development back to the capital metropolis.
      • Expand Infrastructure: Provinces can expand their capacity to build new structures and manufactories, allowing smaller nations to create centers of wealth for a modest cost.
      • Centralize State: Reduce the cost of government by spending unused Reform points.
        • Totemism: Nations that follow the Totemist religion can revere a pantheon of past leaders, earning bonuses that reflect the skills they had in life.
        • Monuments: Expand and establish great projects, adding new bonuses to your empire.
          • New Unit Models: New army sprites for Southeast Asian nations, including Indochinese, Indonesian and Polynesian nations.
          [li]And more: Including the ability to carpet siege enemy provinces, draft transports as a plutocratic nation, watch heirs gain legitimacy as they wait to inherit the throne and other changes.
        As usual, Leviathan will be accompanied by a major free update available to all Europa Universalis IV players. This update includes modifications to the maps of Southeast Asia and North America, with major gameplay changes for North American First Nations. It also adds Australian Aboriginal nations.

Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan will be available on 27 April 2021 at the Paradox Store and major online retailers for the suggested retail price of $19.99/£15.40/€19.99 - you can wishlist on Steam now!
Strangely random list of new features. What's the focus of this DLC? It seems to add some more peaceful/domestic interactions to play tall.

I guess I might pick it up when I am bired and I see it for 50+% off as 20€ seems too much for this hodgepodge of features.

Overall, EU4 has lost its direction. They should really conclude it now and build a successor. Their other games like CK3 or Stellaris have better, more consistent design these days.