News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 04:41:47 AM
Btw, are there any mods that turn the game from a "paint the map" focus towards more of a historic simulation where blobbing is not the be all/end all?

I guess MEIOU (sp?) is the closest to that but it is extremely tasking on the CPU and it runs very very slowly.

Zanza

First DLC in a year or so is out now. Anybody bought it already?

crazy canuck

I had been planning on getting it and using that as my reason to start playing this again.  But now that Shadow Empires is out I have no real desire to play EU for the foreseeable future.   Might as well wait for it to go on sale.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2020, 12:54:11 PM
First DLC in a year or so is out now. Anybody bought it already?

I got the DLC subscription so I'll get it automatically. I'll give it a try tonight.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

The province changes look good (I just booted the game post-patch and zoomed around Europe).  They finally added the Despotate of Epirus to the base game, too. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Sounds like the DLC is completely unbalanced and Austria can unite the HRE in the 15th century and Russia can develop the steppes to riches for almost nothing.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2020, 02:44:30 PM
Sounds like the DLC is completely unbalanced and Austria can unite the HRE in the 15th century and Russia can develop the steppes to riches for almost nothing.
:o

Syt

Did Johan already take over EU4? I know he's going to further work on the game from Barcelona with Paradox Tinto studio.*

If so, it seems that the main component of underwhelming, badly received releases recently is Johan as project lead (looking at Imperator, and now this, ironically named "Emperor"). Maybe it's time for him to retire after all?

*That this was announced at the time when it also became public that Paradox finally signed a collective bargaining agreements with two unions, something they fought for years, apparently ... well, it paints a certain picture. Reviews on Glassdoors are pretty unanimous that pay at Paradox is quite shit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on June 13, 2020, 08:53:51 AM

Reviews on Glassdoors are pretty unanimous that pay at Paradox is quite shit.

It's a game, not a job!

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on June 13, 2020, 08:53:51 AM
Did Johan already take over EU4? I know he's going to further work on the game from Barcelona with Paradox Tinto studio.*

If so, it seems that the main component of underwhelming, badly received releases recently is Johan as project lead (looking at Imperator, and now this, ironically named "Emperor"). Maybe it's time for him to retire after all?

*That this was announced at the time when it also became public that Paradox finally signed a collective bargaining agreements with two unions, something they fought for years, apparently ... well, it paints a certain picture. Reviews on Glassdoors are pretty unanimous that pay at Paradox is quite shit.

Patric was the brains behind the company :P

i know they're opening a Spanish division, but didn't know Johan is moving there.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Fredrik Wester has been in Spain for a while now, so I guess this move was some time coming.

I guess the fast growth wasn't good for them internally, and I think some people (like Johan) are not well suited to work in a large, more professionalized environment as opposed to small enthusiast teams.

I felt they were on a downward turn with HoI3 and EU3, with CK2 and EU4 bailing them out. Cities Skylines also helped them gain mass appeal. But since then it's been a bit weird. Stellaris was ok at launch and has drastically improved by now (but I think that's a project Johan stays away from). HoI4 ... well, I never liked the HoI series much, but it seems popular enough, but I feel I mostly see people playing the Kaiserreich alternate WW2 mod, at least on Twitch. And Imperator was a dud. I guess a lot will depend on how CK3 turns out and if the company returns to their more niche appeal to a smaller hardcore group. Plus I always felt weird about their publishing side. They seem to have a bit of a high turnover with some companies releasing one or two games with them before moving on, and only few staying on longer (like Harebrained, or the CIties in Motion/Cities Skylines guys).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Syt

Spiffing Brit did a video about how broken Austria/HRE are in the Emperor DLC/Austria patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5XA3-lHo_E

Though I think some of the imbalances are already addressed in the latest hotfix patch?
—Stephen Jay Gould