News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I'll admit...when I saw that humble-bundle link posted a bit back, with the EU4 sale, I was tempted.  And then I saw all the DLC and was like...nah.

Sorta of the same thing with CK2.  I got it when it came out, and enjoyed it.  Took a break for a while...and when I thought about coming back to it...saw all the DLC for it and Nope'd out again.

Valmy

Ok so I got it in the Humble Bundle with all the DLCs except the last one. Wow are there a lot of mechanics they added to this game since EU2 :lol:

Is there a good place to learn about all these mechanics and how they work or should I just learn through trial and error?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

See, this is pretty much what we were discussing. Today's dev diary, posted by Johan, which is IIRC rare:

QuoteHello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis. This time I'll talk about a new feature for our soon to be announced expansion. This is the mechanic we called Hegemony.

The purpose of this feature is to create a greater narrative for the endgame, but there are two cases in which this will become the most used one.

First of all, our goal was to create something for those of you who like to conquer the world, and make part of that more interesting, and hopefully less tedious.

Secondly, our goal is to create an interesting and dynamic last century in larger multiplayer games.

Quite an indication that they no longer have the same priorities for this game that I as a player do. Making world conquest more fun and less tedious? What ELSE would you want if you wanted to feel like you are playing a historical simulation of the period? And the second consideration is for the late game of large MP games. Which I understand something they have and Johan cherishes (I remember the days of EU2 beta patches, coming out pretty much weekly for a while, so Johan could tweak their ongoing office game to his liking :P ), but what portion of players must actually care?

Luckily it'll be DLC content so I can ignore it.

garbon

At this point, I'd prefer if Johan became an emeritus game designer. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I like how they keep using MP as yardstick since EU2 considering that overall it's a small minority of people playing this in MP (albeit a vocal one).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Yeah neither mp nor wc interest me. I'm worried about the future of Paradox games, games I been playing regularly since 2001
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

So they actually reposted a different version based on feedback received. Half-baked mechanic?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/claim-what-you-deserve-in-europa-universalis-iv-emperor.1347027/

Claim What You Deserve in Europa Universalis IV: Emperor

• A Powerful Pope: Appoint cardinals, publish Papal Bulls and gather tithes. The Vatican and Papal Controller now have new abilities to sway the souls of Christendom.
  • New Holy Roman Empire Systems: Imperial Incidents provide new challenges to the Emperor's power and authority. Will your empire follow a course to a centralized monarchy or decentralized federation?.
  • Revolutions Revamped: The spirit of Revolution is a contagion that must be either embraced or vigorously opposed. Use the guillotine and revolutionary guard to enforce the new way of thinking.
  • The Hussite Faith: Bohemia has an early game chance to embrace heresy and stand alone against the Pope until The Reformation.
  • Hegemonies: If you accomplish great feats, you should expect great rewards. Seize the mantle of honor for accumulating great wealth and armies.
  • New Missions: Over 20 new unique mission trees for a variety of European nations
  • Defender of Faith: With great responsibility comes great power. Earn more bonuses for defending a major religion than for defending a small one.
  • The Council of Trent and Counter-Reformation: Join other Catholic rulers to slow down the spread of the Reformation by making concessions to the unruly mob or harshly imposing the will of God.
  • Provoke Rebellions: Risk a larger rebellion now while you think you can manage it instead of waiting for discontent to take its course.

Sheilbh

Typical Paradox anti-Catholic bias in their description of the "counter-Reformation" there <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 03, 2020, 11:02:57 AM
Typical Paradox anti-Catholic bias in their description of the "counter-Reformation" there <_<

Well Sweden didn't stop fighting against the Pope in 1648 -_-

But yeah. Besides the Council of Trent did happen to take a more puritanical course but that was not the only option discussed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Wake me when the Victoria pop model is followed in EU
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2020, 06:47:45 AM

Years ago they announced it would not be used again

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2020, 09:08:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2020, 06:47:45 AM

Years ago they announced it would not be used again

Dissapointing.
It wasn't perfect but it was leagues ahead of EU's absolutist approach to religion and culture.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Btw, are there any mods that turn the game from a "paint the map" focus towards more of a historic simulation where blobbing is not the be all/end all?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.